SMS While Driving

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sirius/XM updated their app. It is now compatible with Android Auto. Their app had always lagged behind when it came to updates. This is a big one! Of course I just got a car with S/XM built in with a free trial for one year.

I've been using Android Auto for a few weeks and I do like the simplicity of it. I still wish it was on my dash so I didn't have to mount my phone, but it mostly does what I need it to do.

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
The Drivemode app will tell you you've received a text, ask it you want it read, and allow to respond with your voice all without touching your phone (which you have to to with Android Auto). It allows for auto launch with vehicle motion or bluetooth connection. There is a small one-time fee to remove their sig from outgoing messages. I've tried lot of these and this one has worked best for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The Drivemode app will tell you you've received a text, ask it you want it read, and allow to respond with your voice all without touching your phone (which you have to to with Android Auto). It allows for auto launch with vehicle motion or bluetooth connection. There is a small one-time fee to remove their sig from outgoing messages. I've tried lot of these and this one has worked best for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en
Does it allow you to use a specific BT device as a trigger? I know I tried one that triggered when BT was connected, regardless of which BT device it was. I have a smart watch, so my phone is always connected to something via BT.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does it allow you to use a specific BT device as a trigger? I know I tried one that triggered when BT was connected, regardless of which BT device it was. I have a smart watch, so my phone is always connected to something via BT.

Never mind. I tried it out. It does let you specify a BT device, but there are other issues for me.

I wish the Moto app was available outside of Motorola phones. The app was heard and not seen. It was perfect.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use the app 'SMS, my Car and Me'. Awful name but an excellent app. I have it set up so it starts when it detects my car's bluetooth. If I get a text it will read it out and if the sender is in my contacts it will send an auto-reply to say I'm driving and will respond later. It can also deal with WhatsApp messages and emails. Lots of options so you end up with something which precisely matches your needs.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use the app 'SMS, my Car and Me'. Awful name but an excellent app. I have it set up so it starts when it detects my car's bluetooth. If I get a text it will read it out and if the sender is in my contacts it will send an auto-reply to say I'm driving and will respond later. It can also deal with WhatsApp messages and emails. Lots of options so you end up with something which precisely matches your needs.
I believe I tried that one. I couldn't find the setting that would allow me to dictate a reply text.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

robn30

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue as the OP. I had a Moto X Pure and the Moto app for driving was second to none, absolutely amazing. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and can't have the same capability, it's quite frustrating. AA doesn't work well at all, it enables Do Not Disturb for some reason on my phone and none of my messages are even heard. My requirement is that whatever app I use must be able to interrupt while I'm listening to the radio, like the Moto app was able to. AA wouldn't even work when I was in BT audio mode using Google Play Music. Android in general is subpar in this regard, in 2018 hands free with a BT head unit should be seamless. Currently I am using Read Text 2me and it is great for reading texts but it has no option to dictate one back, only allows predefined responses. Can anyone help myself and the OP figure out this issue? Thanks.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different apps, but so far have been sticking to Android Auto. It's annoying that I need to take my eyes of the road to hit the play button in order to hear a message, but it's the best solution for me so far.

I also tried messageLOUD. I don't care for it, but you can give that one a try.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different apps, but so far have been sticking to Android Auto. It's annoying that I need to take my eyes of the road to hit the play button in order to hear a message, but it's the best solution for me so far.

I also tried messageLOUD. I don't care for it, but you can give that one a try.

Whenever I get a message notification when using Android Auto, I say "Hey Google, play message". It plays the latest message and then asks whether you want to reply or ignore. Say reply and you can dictate your message. Then it asks whether you want to change it or send it. Say send and it tells you "message sent"

danrak101

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue as the OP. I had a Moto X Pure and the Moto app for driving was second to none, absolutely amazing. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and can't have the same capability, it's quite frustrating. AA doesn't work well at all, it enables Do Not Disturb for some reason on my phone and none of my messages are even heard. My requirement is that whatever app I use must be able to interrupt while I'm listening to the radio, like the Moto app was able to. AA wouldn't even work when I was in BT audio mode using Google Play Music. Android in general is subpar in this regard, in 2018 hands free with a BT head unit should be seamless. Currently I am using Read Text 2me and it is great for reading texts but it has no option to dictate one back, only allows predefined responses. Can anyone help myself and the OP figure out this issue? Thanks.

Hi, I'm the developer of the Read Text 2me app and just wanted to clarify that the app supports both predefined responses as well as custom responses that can be dictated at the time of sending a reply. There are quite a few different settings to play around with to get it to behave the way you want.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc