04-04-2018 01:47 PM
50 12
tools
    I'm used to the Moto app on my current phone. If a text message comes in while I'm driving it reads it out loud and waits for me to dictate a response. I'm switching to a Pixel 2 XL tomorrow and need this functionality. Is this feature built in our will I need a third party app?
    01-09-2018 08:37 PM
    I'm used to the Moto app on my current phone. If a text message comes in while I'm driving it reads it out loud and waits for me to dictate a response. I'm switching to a Pixel 2 XL tomorrow and need this functionality. Is this feature built in our will I need a third party app?
    Not sure how you engage your device now, but Google Assistant will read your messages out loud and allow you to respond.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    01-09-2018 09:47 PM
    Just download android auto, it will read you text and you can reply using voice command. Also voice command works for navigation, phone calls, and music.
    01-09-2018 10:27 PM
    I agree, try Android Auto. You don't need to run it through your car for it to work.
    01-09-2018 11:28 PM
    Not sure how you engage your device now, but Google Assistant will read your messages out loud and allow you to respond.
    Can I set that up so it's triggered whenever the phone connects to a specific BT device?
    01-09-2018 11:49 PM
    I've tried Android Auto in the past. My main problem is that it doesn't integrate with Sirius/XM. If I want to listen to Spotify, Auto is fine. If I want to listen to Sirius I need to exit the app first. If I can figure out how to get Assistant to do the job, that would be preferable.
    01-10-2018 07:10 AM
    Can I set that up so it's triggered whenever the phone connects to a specific BT device?
    Yes. That's how mine is setup. When it's connected to my 2 cars Bluetooth, it launches android auto, and close the app once it's disconnected. It will even turn off wifi and turn it back on once you connect and disconnect.

Sorry, not sure about Sirius/XM. you can use other apps, like pocket cast, tune in radio.
    01-10-2018 07:49 AM
    lol

SMS While Driving-screenshot_20180110-084222.jpg
    01-10-2018 10:56 AM
    Texting really shouldn't be a point of discussion focus should be on driving
    01-10-2018 01:03 PM
    Hence the hands free way. You don't even have to take your phone out of your pocket.
    01-10-2018 06:42 PM
    Hence the hands free way. You don't even have to take your phone out of your pocket.
    Or take your eyes off the road.
    blackhemi4x4 likes this.
    01-10-2018 07:03 PM
    If I have an ability to have an app read me my texts as they come in, and respond without touching or looking at the phone, then it's back in the mix.
    01-10-2018 08:00 PM
    I use Blue tooth and GA for my text messages practically daily ... But then again, I spend time in traffic a lot ..
    01-10-2018 08:23 PM
    I use Blue tooth and GA for my text messages practically daily ... But then again, I spend time in traffic a lot ..
    How did you set it up so they read aloud automatically while driving or connected to BT? I still haven't found that option without installing a third party app
    01-11-2018 08:16 AM
    I'm assuming you don't have AA built into your car.
    I have it in my 2017 Accord along with Sirius/XM and everything integrates really well.
    Android Auto has actually become one of my favorite things.
    I can do just about anything hands free. Text, call, navigate, stream music, google questions. It's just an awesome application.
    Again, I have it built into my car so it's bound to work better than just using the phone app.

I've tried Android Auto in the past. My main problem is that it doesn't integrate with Sirius/XM. If I want to listen to Spotify, Auto is fine. If I want to listen to Sirius I need to exit the app first. If I can figure out how to get Assistant to do the job, that would be preferable.
    01-11-2018 08:27 AM
    My car doesn't have Auto. I drive a Mini and they opted out. My next Mini will be here in a couple of weeks and it had Mini Connected. We'll see how that works.

In the meantime I can only use Auto on my phone. Once it's active it cuts off access to any app that is not directly supported. That means if Auto is running I need to exit it and then open the Sirius app. It's not integrated into the app like Spotify. It's an issue that Sirius/XM is not apparently interested in fixing.
    01-11-2018 08:54 AM
    But you have to take your mind off driving, and I've responded to many accidents caused by people using their minds for things other than driving. You can stare directly at the rapidly-approaching trunk of the car in front of you and ram right into it - as your mind is in the text you're dictating. People will claim to be multitasking, but the human brain usually fixates on something and ignores more important things.

I don't care if you never post here again, but I'd like you to be able to, physically.
    01-11-2018 02:40 PM
    But you have to take your mind off driving, and I've responded to many accidents caused by people using their minds for things other than driving. You can stare directly at the rapidly-approaching trunk of the car in front of you and ram right into it - as your mind is in the text you're dictating. People will claim to be multitasking, but the human brain usually fixates on something and ignores more important things.

I don't care if you never post here again, but I'd like you to be able to, physically.
    No more than a conversation with a passenger.

Heck, it's probably more dangerous now to adjust your climate control then it is to use AA
    01-11-2018 02:44 PM
    I use Android Auto. No issue with it reading my text messages and writing new ones to people (or replying).
    01-11-2018 03:43 PM
    No more than a conversation with a passenger.

Heck, it's probably more dangerous now to adjust your climate control then it is to use AA
    Not at all true; many studies have proven this fact.
    01-11-2018 06:01 PM
    Honestly.... I got rid of SAT radio because I get better stuff through Spotify, Google Play and Amazon Prime.
    01-11-2018 06:38 PM

Hands-free has never been an issue for me. I'd rather have people use the hands-free then actually read their text and try to type that's for sure
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-2018 06:40 PM
    Not at all true; many studies have proven this fact.
    Which fact?
    blackhemi4x4 likes this.
    01-11-2018 06:41 PM
    Hands-free has never been an issue for me. I'd rather have people use the hands-free then actually read their text and try to type that's for sure
    It's never been an issue for me, but it has been for many people whose accidents I responded to. "I was using a hands-free" is, to me, an admission of "I wasn't paying attention to traffic". We're kind of "wired" to pay attention to what we're talking about or hearing, like the phone reading a text to us. "Oops, that was a stone wall I just hit. Where did it come from? I never saw it."
    01-11-2018 06:43 PM
    There are shows I enjoy listening to on Sirius/XM. Most of my listening is through HD Radio on my car's radio, second is Spotify, and third is S/XM. I'd like to have the option of listening to whatever I want, when I want. Auto doesn't allow that.

I spoke with Google Support. The only way for Assistant to read texts out to me while driving is for me to ask it to do so. The only other option is to find a third party app. I'd rather not do that, so for now I'll try asking Assistant.
    01-11-2018 06:43 PM
50 12