Assigned ringtone to a contact will not save.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Pixel 2 coming over from a HTC One M8. I am really enjoying this phone and having front loaded speakers like the HTC has was the selling point for me, well that and Verizon giving $300.00 off on it during Christmas. Anyway I am having a problem I can't figure out. When I try to assign a ringtone to a contact it will not save it. I go into Set ringtone/change from Default to desired ringtone/hit the save button on top/ hit the back button /then exit. If I open the contact up again and go back into Set ringtone it goes back to the default. Anybody have any ideas how I can fix it?
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/images/redhot.png
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/images/poutin.png

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome. I just tried to set it to a preinstalled one and that doesn't work either. My Default Ringtone is a custom one I made and that works fine. I have to go to Verizon to check on a problem with my bill and I will see if they can get it to work and will report back then.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It's possible that you're missing a step when changing the ringtone. After you tap 'save' on the ringtone chooser you need to confirm the changes on the contact screen (maybe a check mark top right). I don't have a Pixel, so maybe I'm talking nonsense :)

I'll check around with some volunteers that own the Pixel.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Hmm, that does sound a little bothersome. Like mentioned above, maybe there's a step that was missed when it came to assigning the ringtone for that specific contact. I know I've done that more than once when assigning ringtones for people - or default - and then being confused when the "wrong" tone went off.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Pixel 2 coming over from a HTC One M8. I am really enjoying this phone and having front loaded speakers like the HTC has was the selling point for me, well that and Verizon giving $300.00 off on it during Christmas. Anyway I am having a problem I can't figure out. When I try to assign a ringtone to a contact it will not save it. I go into Set ringtone/change from Default to desired ringtone/hit the save button on top/ hit the back button /then exit. If I open the contact up again and go back into Set ringtone it goes back to the default. Anybody have any ideas how I can fix it?
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/images/redhot.png
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/images/poutin.png

Hi , When I set a custom ringtone for a contact , on my Pixel .
Open contact info
Click on the 3 dots in upper right of that screen
Then set ringtone, to the tone I want
Then in that screen click on save,, in upper right hand of that screen
That screen closes and goes back to the regular contact info screen
Done

Is that what you did ?

Edit:
I did not hit the back button.
After choosing and saving that custom ring tone. It just goes back to the Contact info screen, after which I just hit the home button to close that screen

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I try to assign a ringtone to a contact it will not save it.
Can you replicate the problem in Safe mode? I'm wondering if a 3rd party application is causing your problem. I have no problem using any of the built-in ringtones and assigning them to contacts.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I just got back from Verizon and the tech went through everything and he was at a loss. Other than doing a factory reset he advised waiting for the next Android update to see if they have fixed the bug that is causing it. He did say I was smart coming here as the people that frequent this group are on top of any problems and how to fix them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After you modify the ringtone for a contact and tap Save, see what happens if you tap Home (instead of Back). It shouldn't matter, but I'm starting to grasp at straws a little.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
After you modify the ringtone for a contact and tap Save, see what happens if you tap Home (instead of Back). It shouldn't matter, but I'm starting to grasp at straws a little.
When I hit save it jumps back to the contact I am trying to assign the ringtone to. I tried hitting the home button just now and when I checked to see if it had saved it it had reverted back to the default. I will try to just hit home next instead of trying to save it and see if that does the trick.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Well the last thing I tried didn't work either. I installed "Should I Answer App" to help with Spam calls and I thought maybe that was causing a problem but Safe Mode should have take that out of the equation. I uninstalled it just to make sure. That made no difference either. My Wife got home from work and she got her Pixel 2 a few weeks after I got mine. I tried changing the ringtone on my contact in her phone and it worked perfectly. Do you think I should return the phone and exchange it for another before the Months time runs out?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Well the last thing I tried didn't work either. I installed "Should I Answer App" to help with Spam calls and I thought maybe that was causing a problem but Safe Mode should have take that out of the equation. I uninstalled it just to make sure. That made no difference either. My Wife got home from work and she got her Pixel 2 a few weeks after I got mine. I tried changing the ringtone on my contact in her phone and it worked perfectly. Do you think I should return the phone and exchange it for another before the Months time runs out?

The final test before returning should be a factory reset. If it still doesn't work, it's a defect. If it works, the problem was because of something you had either loaded or set.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The final test before returning should be a factory reset. If it still doesn't work, it's a defect. If it works, the problem was because of something you had either loaded or set.
Well I am going to call Verizon as soon as they open and see if I can get the same tech I talked to yesterday and let him know I am going to do the factory reset. I will let everyone know what happens after it is done.

AlbeyScholl

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Well I did a factory reset and hooked my old phone back up and transferred everything and now it works perfectly. What wasn’t on my old phone was on a backup I did before the reset with iSkysoft Phone Transfer Software so I didn’t even lose any messages. Actually it setup better than the first time since this is the third time I have set up one of these. I would like to thank everyone that weighed in here. You all of have been great and I look forward to being part of this community with a bunch of great people.
Thanks again,
Albey

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1