From 5.5"+ screens.to pixel 2.... will I get used to the size drop

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys..

Ive just exchanged a device in CW UK from a GS8 to a Pixel 2. On my device exchange I could only select certain phones with the matching contract price, but it didnt include the 2 xl only the pixel 2.. oh yes.. and I got a £100 cash refund back in my bank from my upfront cost.

Ive been using 5.5" + screen phones since the LG G4 / G5 / Iphone 7+.. etc, as I like a bigger screen, but i love the Pixel 2..

The 5" screen is already growing on me after a few hours, HTCs Boomsound speakers are Amazing, will test the camera tomorrow, but the whole thing just seems so small and wierd.

Has anyone else done this with a phone.. took a drop in screen size.,.. and did you get used to it?. and am I really missing that much from the 2XL? (and my £100 refund)

Cheers

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can eventually get used to anything if given time -- I would think the bigger bezels would be more annoying then anything else.

ilimit

Dec 28, 2017
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 7+ to the Pixel 2's 5" screen and love it. Sure I'll like for it to use it's real estate more effectively, but it's a great form factor.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Your right about the Chin and ar*e on it Almeuit, they make it so Chunky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went from an iPhone 7+ to the Pixel 2's 5" screen and love it. Sure I'll like for it to use it's real estate more effectively, but it's a great form factor.

I must admit... Im more of a fan of the 16:9 than 18:9, but its when you come from a HTC U Ultra (16:9 5.7") or an XZ Premium that you notice it.. its like changing from an HTC U Ultra to an iPhone 4 as my daily driver... its hard to take it seriously.. :).

I have also read that the HTC Boomsound speakers in the 2 are louder and crisper at higher volumes than LGs in the 2XL, and obviously the 2xl screen tint issues... but I cant verify this.

Im seriously giving it a go here, because of the camera and the speakers, I just have to remind myself... Its the same phone as the 2xl..its just smaller, well.. err.. MUCH smaller.. oh and the £100 refund :)

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If your eyes are good, a smaller phone screen is fine. I need to where readers to see my phone so the bigger the better so I can make out some things on the phone without fumbling for my reading glasses.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys..

Ive just exchanged a device in CW UK from a GS8 to a Pixel 2. On my device exchange I could only select certain phones with the matching contract price, but it didnt include the 2 xl only the pixel 2.. oh yes.. and I got a £100 cash refund back in my bank from my upfront cost.

Ive been using 5.5" + screen phones since the LG G4 / G5 / Iphone 7+.. etc, as I like a bigger screen, but i love the Pixel 2..

The 5" screen is already growing on me after a few hours, HTCs Boomsound speakers are Amazing, will test the camera tomorrow, but the whole thing just seems so small and wierd.

Has anyone else done this with a phone.. took a drop in screen size.,.. and did you get used to it?. and am I really missing that much from the 2XL? (and my £100 refund)

Cheers

While I agree with others in the saying that you can get used to anything I would never want to downsize but that's just me. That doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My near vision is much better than my distance vision so the small screen works for me. I have my display and font set to the smallest size and that gives me pretty good screen density.

I have noticed a decline in my near vision so I might be a "big phone" guy sooner or later.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
While not as dramatic a percentage drop in screen size, I had gone from the Nexus 6 (6") to the Pixel XL (5.5") and wasn't really bothered - though am now back to the 6" size with the 2 XL.

Honestly, if I didn't consume so much video media on my phone I would have gone with the Pixel 2 in a heartbeat, as it is certainly more easily pocketable and a far better bang for the buck.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your helping me decide... to upgrade to the 2XL :)

One of the reasons Ive always used 5.5" + screens is because, like some here.. Im also short sighted.. and sometimes I find it quite hard to see smaller fonts, although I dont want to make the fonts bigger on a small screen because they just look silly... bigger Icons and text on a small screen... I didnt buy a DORO :)

It was after I was viewing it in bed and realised that it was just too small for comfortable viewing on my eyes .. so I worked a bit of magic with CW staff and got the 2xl... which I love..

2 points..

- The speakers are just as good on LG 2XL as they are on the HTC 2
- No... The Blue Tint is not present on mine at all, but my 2xl was already on 8.1.0 out of the box so whether mine is from a newer batch or been updated before release I dont know... but I only see a blue tint when mine is tilted all the way level with my eyes :)

So, I stuck with the Pixel 2, but got the one better for my visiion..

All is good :)

Last edited:

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys..

Cheers

If you don't watch videos or game much you'll be fine.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Your right about the Chin and ar*e on it Almeuit, they make it so Chunky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must admit... Im more of a fan of the 16:9 than 18:9, but its when you come from a HTC U Ultra (16:9 5.7") or an XZ Premium that you notice it.. its like changing from an HTC U Ultra to an iPhone 4 as my daily driver... its hard to take it seriously.. :).

I have also read that the HTC Boomsound speakers in the 2 are louder and crisper at higher volumes than LGs in the 2XL, and obviously the 2xl screen tint issues... but I cant verify this.

Im seriously giving it a go here, because of the camera and the speakers, I just have to remind myself... Its the same phone as the 2xl..its just smaller, well.. err.. MUCH smaller.. oh and the £100 refund :)
Nah, should have paid extra and got the 2XL, more like the S8 than the XL

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have a P2, which I really like - BUT - the old eyeballs do not improve with age - SO - I'm thinking of getting an P2 XL - then I check the price and my thinking changes - $849 - YIKES! - :(

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I did upgrade to the 2xl which is better for my eyesight, but only afford it through a contract (got the contract with Carphone because their phones are unlocked / unbranded), but... man, we in the UK are ripped off on contract prices

A Myers

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I moved from a One Plus 3 to the P2, and initially I struggled to be honest. But quickly got used to it, I like the size, just more manageable all round

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
My phone history has pretty much always been a Blackberry device but its quite interesting how things have evolved.

Started out with a 2.4" inch screen. (8520)
Moved to a 3.1" inch screen (Q5)
Then a 5.0" inch screen (BB Leap)
Then a 5.4" inch screen (BB Priv)

Each time I've upgraded my phone, the screen has always felt huge for the first couple weeks but after a while you get used to it and now, having this 5.4" inch screen feels really normal.

That being said, when I pick up a iPhone 8. While it's screen is only 4.7" inches. It doesn't feel "worse". It still feels normal and I think I would grow accustomed to using it just like I did with the larger screen devices. 😃

tale 85

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I've gone from a 5.7" Moto X Pure Edition to a 5.7" LG G6 that feels "in hand" like my 5" Lumia 640.

Going from the 16:9 format to 18:9 takes some getting used to. With the taller and narrow dimensions the G6 felt top heavy. I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it for extended use. The Pure Edition was, and still is, the most comfortable phone I've ever owned.

So I'll say again what I said last year. Somebody take the design of the Moto X Pure Edition, slap a 18:9 screen in it, with the internals of a 2018 Flagship, bells and whistles included, price it like a 5T, get T-Mobile to sell it and make it compatible with "Project Linda".

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think in time, you will get used to the size! My LG G3 was 5.5" and my Honor 8 is 5.2"... So not a huge difference, but it did take a little while to be able to adjust; as the phone was shorter in height and not as wide as my G3.

Don't despair - I am sure everything will work out for you! Just give it time. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power