01-16-2018 01:37 PM
55 123
tools
    Thank you all. I suspect I'm screwed.
    Why? Just return it for a full refund.
    01-12-2018 11:46 AM
    Certainly, you can ask. It's because I live in Mexico. Google won't sell to Mexico. If you look at Amazon the Pixels sold by Amazon will say, if you have an address in Mexico, "does not ship to Mexico." That's why I bought two Pixels and a Nexus 5x from the "sellers". Those three were fine, other than the power adapter on the two Pixels being for Dubai. This time, I got screwed.
    These kinds of gray market transactions make me shudder and remind me to be thankful I live in a country that fosters rampant consumerism so we can buy neato stuff like these phones easily.
    01-12-2018 12:01 PM
    About 900 dollars through official retailers in Mexico (like Linio). Not sure if that makes it worth the hassle through 3rd parties and shipping forwarding, but when I lived in Mexico my best bet for those was to purchase through Mercado Libre and just get the phone in person; there are quite a bunch of reputable importers there with formal stores you can go to and pick up the device, test it right then and there before shelling out the payment (even if you pay through ML you either hold the release of payment until you get the device or are protected even if you release it beforehand). But still, Amazon will do as much as it can to make it right, even if it's the seller's fault.
    Aquila likes this.
    01-12-2018 12:20 PM
    Why? Just return it for a full refund.
    That would mean I'm only out $200 instead of $1,000. That's shipping to Oaxaca, shipping back to Miami and the tax I paid of $2,615 pesos at the border.

I just got an email from the company. I was assured the phone was new. They requested pictures.
    01-12-2018 12:54 PM
    There is an IMEI checker that will give you information about your phone.
    If the phone is stolen or on a blacklist this site will tell you.

Check IMEI number / ESN - free checker IMEIpro.info
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:22 PM
    There is an IMEI checker that will give you information about your phone.
    If the phone is stolen or on a blacklist this site will tell you.

Check IMEI number / ESN - free checker IMEIpro.info
    Is there a way to get the IMEI off of a locked phone? I mean, at this point, I wouldn't trust the sticker on the box.
    01-12-2018 01:30 PM
    Is there a way to get the IMEI off of a locked phone? I mean, at this point, I wouldn't trust the sticker on the box.
    Good point and I think the answer is no under normal circumstances.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:33 PM
    Apparently the only way you can get the IMEI from the phone itself at this point is to have a valid PIN.
    Did you enter the IMEI from the sticker on the box?
    01-12-2018 02:34 PM
    When you first set the phone up, it will want to set up an initial PIN.
    It will ask for a PIN and then ask the PIN to be entered again to verify the new PIN.
    Is it possible that there could be some user confusion at that point?
    01-12-2018 02:39 PM
    Was it simply a third party seller who sells on Amazon or is it third party order fulfilled by Amazon? They latter offers you much better protection. The former is like buying in eBay.
    01-12-2018 05:49 PM
    Was it simply a third party seller who sells on Amazon or is it third party order fulfilled by Amazon? They latter offers you much better protection. The former is like buying in eBay.
    Amazon still backs things if it turns into a dispute between the 3rd party seller and the buyer.
    01-12-2018 06:19 PM
    Take the SIM tray out and look carefully with a magnifying glass or take a photo and then zoom in. You should see the phone's IMEI number laser etched onto the edge of the tray. It has been done that way on all recent Google devices, including my current Pixel 2 XL and my previous Pixel XL, as well as my wife's 5X.
    billchat, GSDer, B. Diddy and 3 others like this.
    01-13-2018 03:13 PM
    Take the SIM tray out and look carefully with a magnifying glass or take a photo and then zoom in. You should see the phone's IMEI number laser etched onto the edge of the tray. It has been done that way on all recent Google devices, including my current Pixel 2 XL and my previous Pixel XL, as well as my wife's 5X.
    Good know
    01-13-2018 04:17 PM
    Good to know - thanks
    01-13-2018 04:17 PM
    Good to know - thanks
    Thanks for the Like.

And, speaking of magnifying glasses, I really like this app and use it at least a few times per month for all sorts of tasks: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u.magnifierpro

There is a free, ad-supported version available also, as well as a large number of similar apps. In my opinion, everyone should have such an app loaded on their smartphone; you never know when it will come in handy!
    billchat likes this.
    01-14-2018 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the Like.

And, speaking of magnifying glasses, I really like this app and use it at least a few times per month for all sorts of tasks: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u.magnifierpro

There is a free, ad-supported version available also, as well as a large number of similar apps. In my opinion, everyone should have such an app loaded on their smartphone; you never know when it will come in handy!
    Got it - thanks - very handy.
    01-14-2018 08:42 AM
    Have you called them? It was most likely an accident.
    I'd be curious how is even possible for any seller to be able to sell stolen merchandise on Amazon?
    01-15-2018 07:31 AM
    I'd be curious how is even possible for any seller to be able to sell stolen merchandise on Amazon?
    Or, how they sell something as "New" when it clearly cannot possibly be new.
    01-15-2018 08:23 AM
    It could be done until it catches up with the seller
    01-15-2018 08:37 AM
    Definitely return it.
    01-15-2018 08:47 AM
    I've been an Amazon customer since 2000. Today I have Amazon Prime. I've had very few problems and every problem I've ever had has been resolved to my full satisfaction. When I'm shopping on Amazon, I simply put a check in the box for "Amazon Prime Only" search results. That eliminates any problem sellers.
    pkcable, SR45 and Aquila like this.
    01-15-2018 10:54 AM
    UPDATE:
    I was preparing to send the phone back to the seller and Amazon was incredibly helpful. I would get a refund of the purchase price. That would still leave shipping and taxes.

The first person I dealt with on Firday and Saturday would only say that the phone was brand new and I would respond that brand new phones don't come with lock screens needing a PIN.

Monday a different person from the company contacted me and said that he was mystified. He's seen the pictures I'd sent at their request of the lock screen. He said he was sure the camera was brand new, the box had never been open, and he couldn't explain the lock screen.

He recommended I do a factory reset. I was doubtful but I did it. The factory reset led to the initial setup procedure which I followed and the phone is working fine now. The lock screen had not been set by a previous user and the gentleman from the company still doesn't know what happened.

I used the IMEI checker posted early and it showed the IMEI number as "clean".

So, I've got my phone, it's working fine, and I'm happy. I removed my emotional and negative seller feedback from the Amazon site.

I appreciate the helpful responses on this site. Thank you.
    SR45, Aquila, billchat and 4 others like this.
    01-16-2018 06:18 AM
    UPDATE:
    I was preparing to send the phone back to the seller and Amazon was incredibly helpful. I would get a refund of the purchase price. That would still leave shipping and taxes.

The first person I dealt with on Firday and Saturday would only say that the phone was brand new and I would respond that brand new phones don't come with lock screens needing a PIN.

Monday a different person from the company contacted me and said that he was mystified. He's seen the pictures I'd sent at their request of the lock screen. He said he was sure the camera was brand new, the box had never been open, and he couldn't explain the lock screen.

He recommended I do a factory reset. I was doubtful but I did it. The factory reset led to the initial setup procedure which I followed and the phone is working fine now. The lock screen had not been set by a previous user and the gentleman from the company still doesn't know what happened.

I used the IMEI checker posted early and it showed the IMEI number as "clean".

So, I've got my phone, it's working fine, and I'm happy. I removed my emotional and negative seller feedback from the Amazon site.

I appreciate the helpful responses on this site. Thank you.
    A happy ending!

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your new Pixel - it is a great phone.
    01-16-2018 08:12 AM
    Awesome that's great news!
    01-16-2018 10:15 AM
    UPDATE:

Never underestimate the power of an electronic device to mess with a human device.
    01-16-2018 10:24 AM
55 123