Phone purchased from Amazon wasn't properly reset, is that fraud?

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I could lock my SIM on my Pixel and that number had to be inserted before the phone would finish booting.

That's a SIM lock though, it's stored on the SIM and not on the phone. So you can just swap out SIMs and you won't have to enter that number again. It's mostly a safeguard that would prevent other people from using your SIM card on another device. I use that already after learning a valuable lesson when I had a phone stolen off me.

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Can I just ask why you bought the phone from them? Why not buy it from Google themselves? By the time you add in the hassle and extra shipping costs it's probably not any cheaper than new from Google.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Can I just ask why you bought the phone from them? Why not buy it from Google themselves? By the time you add in the hassle and extra shipping costs it's probably not any cheaper than new from Google.

Certainly, you can ask. It's because I live in Mexico. Google won't sell to Mexico. If you look at Amazon the Pixels sold by Amazon will say, if you have an address in Mexico, "does not ship to Mexico." That's why I bought two Pixels and a Nexus 5x from the "sellers". Those three were fine, other than the power adapter on the two Pixels being for Dubai. This time, I got screwed.

I do appreciate the suggestion to make a video. I'm looking for someone now to do my "documentary" of reenacting the grand opening and discovering the lock screen demanding a PIN.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Amazon IS making good to the best of their ability. @ptkelly gets screwed because he bought from an Amazon other than his home Amazon, and used a shipping forwarding company. While there IS an Amazon in Mexico, the prices might not have been as good, OR that product might not have been for sale there.

I can assure you also that Amazon WILL investigate the seller and will consider removing them IF they find they are selling stolen goods. They won't necessary report back to you on it, AND it COULD have been an honest mistake/or just poor business practice (selling returned phones and not wiping correctly).

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Certainly, you can ask. It's because I live in Mexico. Google won't sell to Mexico. If you look at Amazon the Pixels sold by Amazon will say, if you have an address in Mexico, "does not ship to Mexico." That's why I bought two Pixels and a Nexus 5x from the "sellers". Those three were fine, other than the power adapter on the two Pixels being for Dubai. This time, I got screwed.

These kinds of gray market transactions make me shudder and remind me to be thankful I live in a country that fosters rampant consumerism so we can buy neato stuff like these phones easily.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
About 900 dollars through official retailers in Mexico (like Linio). Not sure if that makes it worth the hassle through 3rd parties and shipping forwarding, but when I lived in Mexico my best bet for those was to purchase through Mercado Libre and just get the phone in person; there are quite a bunch of reputable importers there with formal stores you can go to and pick up the device, test it right then and there before shelling out the payment (even if you pay through ML you either hold the release of payment until you get the device or are protected even if you release it beforehand). But still, Amazon will do as much as it can to make it right, even if it's the seller's fault.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Why? Just return it for a full refund.

That would mean I'm only out $200 instead of $1,000. That's shipping to Oaxaca, shipping back to Miami and the tax I paid of $2,615 pesos at the border.

I just got an email from the company. I was assured the phone was new. They requested pictures.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get the IMEI off of a locked phone? I mean, at this point, I wouldn't trust the sticker on the box.

Apparently the only way you can get the IMEI from the phone itself at this point is to have a valid PIN.
Did you enter the IMEI from the sticker on the box?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When you first set the phone up, it will want to set up an initial PIN.
It will ask for a PIN and then ask the PIN to be entered again to verify the new PIN.
Is it possible that there could be some user confusion at that point?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Was it simply a third party seller who sells on Amazon or is it third party order fulfilled by Amazon? They latter offers you much better protection. The former is like buying in eBay.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Was it simply a third party seller who sells on Amazon or is it third party order fulfilled by Amazon? They latter offers you much better protection. The former is like buying in eBay.

Amazon still backs things if it turns into a dispute between the 3rd party seller and the buyer.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get the IMEI off of a locked phone? I mean, at this point, I wouldn't trust the sticker on the box.

Take the SIM tray out and look carefully with a magnifying glass or take a photo and then zoom in. You should see the phone's IMEI number laser etched onto the edge of the tray. It has been done that way on all recent Google devices, including my current Pixel 2 XL and my previous Pixel XL, as well as my wife's 5X.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Take the SIM tray out and look carefully with a magnifying glass or take a photo and then zoom in. You should see the phone's IMEI number laser etched onto the edge of the tray. It has been done that way on all recent Google devices, including my current Pixel 2 XL and my previous Pixel XL, as well as my wife's 5X.

Good know

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site

Good to know - thanks

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site