01-23-2018 03:19 PM
47 12
tools
    So, having experienced the well documented battery issues with the Nexus 6p, I have just received a full refund and so am looking for my next phone... Considering getting the Pixel as I've had Nexus one, then Nexus Galaxy, Nexus 4, then 6p, and also the Nexus 10 tablet, so I'm quite invested in my Google/Android way of life, and have not had problems with phones other than this, which has been resolved with excellent customer service.
    However, that said, I don't want to just move to another phone with widely reported problems - i.e. the Pixel2 XL screen.
    So, how do people think the Pixel or Pixel2 measures up? I am apprehensive about dropping screen size. What alternatives would people suggest if I was to leave Google?
    Thanks!!
    01-14-2018 12:44 PM
    I went from the Nexus 6P to the smaller Pixel 2 and the smaller size doesn't bother me at all. It fits in my pocket easier and I adapted to the smaller size quickly. I like the double speakers so the sound is better than the N6P and it is fast and buttery smooth.
    01-14-2018 02:02 PM
    2 XL has been great for me. Screen is a non-issue for me -- slight blue tinge at an angle, but I don't notice it since I don't look at it an angle. Colors look fine to me (and did so even before the update that allows the user to adjust the color saturation). No graininess at all. The only thing about the screen I might give a demerit for is that shadows get too pronounced if the screen brightness drops below around 50%.

Performance is terrific, battery life is great, and the camera ... man, the camera!
    Moving on from Nexus 6p-00100dportrait_00100_burst20171224130120960_cover.jpg
    DMP89145 and FeinP1118 like this.
    01-14-2018 02:15 PM
    I went from the Nexus 6 to the Pixel 2 XL 128. I would do it again without hesitation.
    01-14-2018 02:16 PM
    01-14-2018 03:09 PM
    I had a Nexus 4, which I really liked until it developed the nasty little habit of shutting off at random intevals.

It was pretty hard to wake up after it did that too.

The Pixel 2 is the best phone I have ever owned, followed closely by the Moto G3. iPhone 4 and SE were okay, but I do not ever plan on a return to Apple phones, unless Google steps on it big time.
    01-14-2018 03:46 PM
    Had my 2XL since November. Picked the 2XL over the Note8.

I have had no issues with my phone. The blue tint is a non issue.

In regard to the screen, the screen on the 2XL is just average. The screen on the Note8 is outstanding.

My 2XL is on Oreo and has the January security update. What is the Note8 on?

Love my 2XL. Do not regret my choice.

Hope this helps.
    01-14-2018 04:20 PM
    Comparing my 6p with my 2xl side by side is like chalk and cheese.
    The pixel is better in every way, 2 years shows up badly
    01-14-2018 05:02 PM
    Simple answer....Nexus 6P was the best ever phone I`ve owned,til I got the 2XL.......No regrets whatsoever.
    01-14-2018 05:28 PM
    So, having experienced the well documented battery issues with the Nexus 6p, I have just received a full refund...
    Refund from previous owner? Just curious.

I had my 6P for a year and a half. While I couldn't justify switching to the OG XL, my 2 XL is better in every possible way, imo. No regrets.
    01-14-2018 06:10 PM
    Former 6P owner here as well. Incredibly happy with my Pixel 2 XL, every aspect of this device is better. Came into it with a little caution because of all the noise about the screen. And it turned out to be a non issue for me. Love this phone. Oh and since your coming from the 6P you'll really appreciate the battery life on this thing.
    01-14-2018 07:36 PM
    Hi there! If you are concerned about the smaller versus larger sizes of the Pixel 2 and 2XL, my advice to you is to go to your local carrier, or to a Best Buy, and give each of them a try! See how they feel in the hand. I have small hands and am sort of able to navigate the 2 XL; but I think I'd prefer the smaller 2. It all depends on you though - if after trying them out, you prefer the 2 XL, go for it!

Yes, there have been screen issues with the 2 XL, but many users here (and a friend of mine IRL) have reported minimal screen issues and are very pleased with their device. Don't let that deter you if you are really interested in the 2 XL. You can always return your 2 XL (if you decide on that one) and get another one to see if you prefer that screen over your first one.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
    01-15-2018 09:53 AM
    So, having experienced the well documented battery issues with the Nexus 6p, I have just received a full refund and so am looking for my next phone... Considering getting the Pixel as I've had Nexus one, then Nexus Galaxy, Nexus 4, then 6p, and also the Nexus 10 tablet, so I'm quite invested in my Google/Android way of life, and have not had problems with phones other than this, which has been resolved with excellent customer service.
    However, that said, I don't want to just move to another phone with widely reported problems - i.e. the Pixel2 XL screen.
    So, how do people think the Pixel or Pixel2 measures up? I am apprehensive about dropping screen size. What alternatives would people suggest if I was to leave Google?
    Thanks!!
    The 6P was my first big phone and I did not like it. I went with the Pixel 2 and have been very happy with it. If the size of the 6P doesn't bother you, I would go with the XL.

My Pixel 2 is a pleasure to use. My 6P was a constant source of disappointment...especially near the end of its useful battery life.
    01-15-2018 10:36 AM
    Both Pixels are good.

If you want to have extra piece of mind, you can get the smaller one. After having a big phone, a smaller one might feel refreshing.

The 2 XL is markedly better now than it was at launch but do make sure that the screen on yours is fine since there are still some out there that failed the lotto
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-15-2018 11:58 AM
    Former 6P owner as well. I got hit with the well-known battery issues so I traded my 6P in for a smaller Pixel 2. The downsizing turned out to be a major upgrade for me. Ergonomically, the Pixel 2 is close to the perfect size. The screen is smaller of course, but after a while, you learn to adapt.

Operationally, the Pixel 2 is an upgrade over the 6P in every way. Better camera, faster and slicker performance and much better battery life. I am happy with my switch.
    01-15-2018 12:02 PM
    Refund from previous owner? Just curious.

I had my 6P for a year and a half. While I couldn't justify switching to the OG XL, my 2 XL is better in every possible way, imo. No regrets.

Full refund was from Google. I bought the phone direct from them in Feb 2016, loved it completely, but it's got to the point now where the switching itself off is absolutely ridiculous - like when it's charging even! I had a few different chats in Google support, followed all their advice and ultimately nothing helped. As they don't have 6Ps to give a replacement they (to my surprise and joy!) offered a full refund.
    01-15-2018 06:35 PM
    I came from the 6p to the pixel 2 xl no regrets the blue tint issue is
    Over blown and the front facing speakers are awesome, plus the extension of the warranty to 2 years will help mitigate most the people complaining about pixel issues.
    01-15-2018 07:21 PM
    Also keep in mind that both Pixel 2 models (regular and XL) have a 2 year US warranty, not the usual 1 year, which is basically unheard of. This really helps with peace of mind, and also speaks to how Google is standing behind their product.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-15-2018 07:35 PM
    screw phones, get a puppy instead. it'll last longer, never needs software updates and will bring much huger amounts of joy.
    Morty2264, davidnc and B. Diddy like this.
    01-16-2018 10:31 AM
    screw phones, get a puppy instead. it'll last longer, never needs software updates and will bring much huger amounts of joy.
    ^ I agree with this statement.
    Aquila and davidnc like this.
    01-16-2018 11:19 AM
    I like the double speakers so the sound is better than the N6P
    For fairness sake I'll have to point out that the Nexus 6P ALSO has dual front-facing speakers, and although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of their sound quality I certainly didn't think 'whoa, the speakers on the Pixel 2 XL blow the Nexus 6P out of the water' the first time I heard them. They sound pretty similar to me.
    01-16-2018 11:40 AM
    Thanks!!
    OP, I am a sucker for Google phones.
    I have both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL. If you do not want the screen issues, get the Pixel 2. The only thing that bothers me now and then are those huge bezels. Otherwise the Pixel 2 is probably the most underrated device of 2017. It has everything the larger device has except the screen size (an no blue tint since the panel is made by Samsung and not LG). I think people do not give Google enough credit for making a 5" screen device with all the bells and whistles at the price they charge for it.

The Pixel 2XL is a great device as well, quite compact for the size (although the most compact 6 incher is the LG V30 but man that UI is ugly). Outside of the blue tint at an angle no issues with the phone. I haven't decided which one I will keep, since I have a spare line, I might just keep both of them.
    01-16-2018 11:44 AM
    So, how do people think the Pixel or Pixel2 measures up?
    I like my Pixel 2 XL so far. However, one feature that I miss from my Nexus 6P is the notification LED - it was nice to be able to glance at the phone and see that a message was pending, rather than always having to turn the screen on (either via double-tap or Power button) just to see if anything happened while I was away.
    01-16-2018 11:50 AM
    I like my Pixel 2 XL so far. However, one feature that I miss from my Nexus 6P is the notification LED - it was nice to be able to glance at the phone and see that a message was pending, rather than always having to turn the screen on (either via double-tap or Power button) just to see if anything happened while I was away.
    Doesn't the "Always On Display" solve that problem?
    01-16-2018 01:40 PM
    Doesn't the "Always On Display" solve that problem?
    It Does, but if it doesn't...

It does have a notification light. You can enable by:

Settings > Apps & Notifications > Notifications > Tap "Blink Light" slider

Now I know you guys are going to go, "wow, this guy is like the superman of Android nerdery!" - but that's not the case, I've just been using the phone for a lot longer than everyone else and was strongly encouraged to test stuff.
    Morty2264 and B. Diddy like this.
    01-16-2018 01:47 PM
47 12