01-18-2018 09:44 AM
36 12
tools
    Got a Pixel 2 XL. Was using a Samsung s8 before. I really like the Pixel, but am missing the s8. The only Android devices I have used are Samsungs. I like the Pixel, I'm getting used to it. Just kind of looking for some advice on the cool tricks the Pixel can do.
    01-15-2018 06:03 PM
    Not lag constantly is the big one.
    Lance Redden likes this.
    01-15-2018 06:17 PM
    The Pixel isn't about tricks.
    01-15-2018 06:35 PM
    What do you mean by cool tricks? I came from an S8 and do mostly the same thing as I always did. Changed phones mainly for the camera and speakers plus better updates.
    01-15-2018 06:52 PM
    I want to make sure I am using all the features of this phone.
    01-15-2018 07:15 PM
    One thing that is cool is the now playing feature. If you haven't already tried it it recognizes songs and displays them on the lockscreen.
    It's not a full on feature packed phone but I'm happy as it is. I'm sure others can give you some info.
    01-15-2018 07:33 PM
    My only advise coming from a long list of Samsung and other brands phones is to let everything on by default. With other brand phones I always turn off NFC, Uninstall some Google apps I don't normally use, always turn off all always on or listening stuff such as wake up the phone with Ok Google and others and always go to Samsung's own battery optimizer and optimize a lot and I mean a lot of services and apps.

With the Pixels, well, like I said, everything's on by default and basically using all the phone's features including the always listening song recognition called Now Playing and OK Google, plus Google fit and Android pay paired all day to one of my 2 Android wear watches and the battery is simply incredible best ever of any of my phones and the camera and performance in general is almost perfect.
    01-15-2018 07:38 PM
    Only thing I miss from my S7 so far is Samsung Pay. There's no denying that's the best pay app out there thanks to the phone tech allowing you to basically pay anywhere you swipe a card. Aside from that, I have absolutely no regrets switching.
    01-15-2018 08:26 PM
    Pulling your fingertip down on fingertip sensor to pull down notification shade.

Squeeze the sides to invoke Google Assistant.

Taking portrait shots with selfie camera.

Motion photos with main camera.

Unlimited photo storage on Google Drive cloud.
    01-15-2018 09:10 PM
    Pulling your fingertip down on fingertip sensor to pull down notification shade.
    Do tell...more please? Either I don't understand the concept or my P2 isn't doing it

Rick
    01-15-2018 09:55 PM
    Do tell...more please? Either I don't understand the concept or my P2 isn't doing it

Rick
    With your phone unlocked and fingertip on the top edge of the sensor housing slowly draw your fingertip down into the sensor area and out the bottom of the sensor. Voila! Your notification shade pulls down. Running your fingertip from bottom to top replaces the shade.
    01-15-2018 10:18 PM
    With your phone unlocked and fingertip on the top edge of the sensor housing slowly draw your fingertip down into the sensor area and out the bottom of the sensor. Voila! Your notification shade pulls down. Running your fingertip from bottom to top replaces the shade.
    You first have to turn that capability ON in Settings.
    01-15-2018 10:33 PM
    Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Swipe fingerprint for notifications
    cpaight likes this.
    01-15-2018 10:40 PM
    Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Swipe fingerprint for notifications
    Thank you. I'd forgotten it was a setting.
    01-15-2018 10:58 PM
    Google Lens and AR Stickers are "cool tricks"

I also had an S8. I missed the Edge Panel on my XL 2 so I installed it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...8edge.s8screen
    01-16-2018 12:17 AM
    I also came from a Samsung S8 and the only thing I miss is the screen Samsung make the best screens but the Pixel I love way better the main reason is it's just pure android making it buttery smooth no lag at all. Also no bloatware with the S8 I needed to download a launcher, Google keyboard, app to wake screen for notifications, app to double touch screen to wake, app for Google Companion swiping right for the news, continuously backing up Nova launcher layout. Just found with the S8 you have to download so much to make it work/look the way you want, with the Pixel nothing needs to be done just works the way android should and backs up automatically with none of all the Samsung extras eg, Samsung keyboard, Samsung notes, Samsung cloud, Samsung account, Bixby, seriously why do you need 2 voice assistances.
    01-16-2018 12:55 AM
    The biggest trick is that for the Pixel, you will get security updates and new enhanced software instantly, whereas for the S8, you will have to wait up to several months, or you won’t even get these updates at all.
    01-16-2018 07:19 AM
    The only thing i miss from my s7 is the long screenshot.

Thats it.
    01-16-2018 08:17 AM
    The Pixel 2 XL is a great choice! Here are some things that it can do that are pretty sick:

- VR stickers
    - Google Assistant squeeze feature
    - unlimited Google Photos storage
    - the option to use either AOD/LED for notifications (I've never seen that on a phone before)
    - and, of course, timely updates/first in line to get updates
    01-16-2018 09:04 AM
    Say, "ok google, Lumos"
    Morty2264 and TraderGary like this.
    01-16-2018 09:29 AM
    More than anything, the Pixels are basically a blank canvas to add all the special tricks you want and will use as opposed to having the manufacturer decide for you. I always have a very clean, uncluttered screen but still need need access to various apps and functions....so one app lets me swipe from the edge and get a floating pad of my most used apps, another adds additional quick launch icons to the notification shade, and the launcher lets me double tap the screen to get the full app drawer (as well as hide all these utility apps so the drawer is less cluttered).
    Morty2264 and DMP89145 like this.
    01-16-2018 11:11 AM
    More than anything, the Pixels are basically a blank canvas to add all the special tricks you want and will use as opposed to having the manufacturer decide for you. I always have a very clean, uncluttered screen but still need need access to various apps and functions....so one app lets me swipe from the edge and get a floating pad of my most used apps, another adds additional quick launch icons to the notification shade, and the launcher lets me double tap the screen to get the full app drawer (as well as hide all these utility apps so the drawer is less cluttered).
    Sounds like a great setup you've got there.
    01-16-2018 11:21 AM
    Please elaborate with the apps you use to...
    1. swipe from the edge and get a floating pad of most used apps
    2. add additional quick launch icons to the notification shade
    3. double tap screen to get the full app drawer
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-16-2018 12:14 PM
    Please elaborate with the apps you use to...
    1. swipe from the edge and get a floating pad of most used apps
    2. add additional quick launch icons to the notification shade
    3. double tap screen to get the full app drawer
    1. SwipePad
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    2. Notification Toggle
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onToggle&hl=en
    3. Apex Launcher, and pretty sure Nova allows for this as well, it's a simple gesture command
    01-16-2018 01:17 PM
    3. Apex Launcher, and pretty sure Nova allows for this as well, it's a simple gesture command
    Yes, Nova does this.
    01-16-2018 01:18 PM
36 12