So hard deciding!

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Got a Pixel 2 XL. Was using a Samsung s8 before. I really like the Pixel, but am missing the s8. The only Android devices I have used are Samsungs. I like the Pixel, I'm getting used to it. Just kind of looking for some advice on the cool tricks the Pixel can do.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by cool tricks? I came from an S8 and do mostly the same thing as I always did. Changed phones mainly for the camera and speakers plus better updates.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I want to make sure I am using all the features of this phone.

One thing that is cool is the now playing feature. If you haven't already tried it it recognizes songs and displays them on the lockscreen.
It's not a full on feature packed phone but I'm happy as it is. I'm sure others can give you some info.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I want to make sure I am using all the features of this phone.

My only advise coming from a long list of Samsung and other brands phones is to let everything on by default. With other brand phones I always turn off NFC, Uninstall some Google apps I don't normally use, always turn off all always on or listening stuff such as wake up the phone with Ok Google and others and always go to Samsung's own battery optimizer and optimize a lot and I mean a lot of services and apps.

With the Pixels, well, like I said, everything's on by default and basically using all the phone's features including the always listening song recognition called Now Playing and OK Google, plus Google fit and Android pay paired all day to one of my 2 Android wear watches and the battery is simply incredible best ever of any of my phones and the camera and performance in general is almost perfect.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Only thing I miss from my S7 so far is Samsung Pay. There's no denying that's the best pay app out there thanks to the phone tech allowing you to basically pay anywhere you swipe a card. Aside from that, I have absolutely no regrets switching.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Pulling your fingertip down on fingertip sensor to pull down notification shade.

Squeeze the sides to invoke Google Assistant.

Taking portrait shots with selfie camera.

Motion photos with main camera.

Unlimited photo storage on Google Drive cloud.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do tell...more please? Either I don't understand the concept or my P2 isn't doing it

Rick
With your phone unlocked and fingertip on the top edge of the sensor housing slowly draw your fingertip down into the sensor area and out the bottom of the sensor. Voila! Your notification shade pulls down. Running your fingertip from bottom to top replaces the shade.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
With your phone unlocked and fingertip on the top edge of the sensor housing slowly draw your fingertip down into the sensor area and out the bottom of the sensor. Voila! Your notification shade pulls down. Running your fingertip from bottom to top replaces the shade.

You first have to turn that capability ON in Settings.

Last edited:

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I also came from a Samsung S8 and the only thing I miss is the screen Samsung make the best screens but the Pixel I love way better the main reason is it's just pure android making it buttery smooth no lag at all. Also no bloatware with the S8 I needed to download a launcher, Google keyboard, app to wake screen for notifications, app to double touch screen to wake, app for Google Companion swiping right for the news, continuously backing up Nova launcher layout. Just found with the S8 you have to download so much to make it work/look the way you want, with the Pixel nothing needs to be done just works the way android should and backs up automatically with none of all the Samsung extras eg, Samsung keyboard, Samsung notes, Samsung cloud, Samsung account, Bixby, seriously why do you need 2 voice assistances.

gnirkatto

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
The biggest trick is that for the Pixel, you will get security updates and new enhanced software instantly, whereas for the S8, you will have to wait up to several months, or you won’t even get these updates at all.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 2 XL is a great choice! Here are some things that it can do that are pretty sick:

- VR stickers
- Google Assistant squeeze feature
- unlimited Google Photos storage
- the option to use either AOD/LED for notifications (I've never seen that on a phone before)
- and, of course, timely updates/first in line to get updates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs