Auto Shutdown with Headphone Dongle

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

First I'd like to say thank you to this forum. I never knew the pixel 2 existed, but because of this website, I learned about it, pre-ordered one, and love using it. It quite frankly is the best phone I've had.

Now to my issue... I took my phone to the slopes this past weekend, and plugged in some wired headphones (with the stock Dongle) to listen to this sweet playlist I worked on. But after a minute or so, the phone would turn off completely. However, if I kept the Dongle unplugged, it would stay turned on. Bummer, as it was the only phone I brought with me that day.

I even stopped mid-run to Google this issue, and found that it's happened to others, but the phone reboots in their case. Mine shuts down. I currently have 8.1.0 .

Anyone else run into this? Or possibly have a fix?

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
From an article I read, 8.1 was supposed to fix the reboot issue you reference, Mike. Someone in the comments of that article stated they had the same problem with the dongle, so I don't think it's just a me issue. Android police article in case anyone is interested

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I heard of someone's rebooting with the USB cable plugged in but not the dongle itself

Are you talking about me ❤️

From an article I read, 8.1 was supposed to fix the reboot issue you reference, Mike. Someone in the comments of that article stated they had the same problem with the dongle, so I don't think it's just a me issue. Android police article in case anyone is interested

Ah yes, mine happened with any cable I just rma'd it. But I guess the issue is software related but I got sent in a bootloop

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I didn't say the dongle wouldn't do it....I just hadn't heard of it. The person I mentioned had 8.1
It's probably tied to the USB C port either way.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A reboot leads me to think it's a kernel panic, but a shutdown tends to point to a hardware issue. Are you having any other problems?

barcafan258

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
I'm still having this issue and am on android 9 now. Did you ever find a solution?

And my phone Shuts down as well. No reboot. It's happened a few times with my charging cable as well, however not nearly as frequently. Just enough to keep me checking my phone throughout the night as I can no longer trust it for alarms.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's happened a few times with my charging cable as well, however not nearly as frequently.
You're having the phone completely shut down with either the charging cable or dongle connected? Have you examined the USB C port on the phone to see if it looks damaged? This could be some weird software bug but it's more likely to be a hardware problem - time to contact Google.