Password Managers

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, what's your go-to Password Manager app?

Preferably, I'm looking for one that doesn't charge a monthly/annual fee to use it, but is still reputable & secure.

It's one thing to read reviews on the Google Play store, but I'd like to know what some of you prefer.

Thanks

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Kate and I use LastPass Family Plan.
LastPass works transparently across all our devices.
Dell XPS 15 9560, Windows 10 Pro
Dell AIO, Windows 10
Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 Pro
Google Nexus 9 tablet
Google Nexus 6 smartphone
Google Pixel 2 XL smartphone
We share joint password access to our bank accounts and smart home devices.
And we maintain individual password access to our own sites.
We've used LastPass for several years.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use LastPass. I pay for the premium ($24 a year). Love it so far. I have used it on my PC via chrome extension, iPhone (when using one), and also on Android via my Pixel 2 XL.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Free is for use on only one operating system.
Paid is for use over more than one operating system.
Since we use both Windows 10 and Android, we are paid.

That is the old method. The free allows a lot.

I pay for the support, the 1 GB of files I can attach, and to support LastPass. $24 a year is 110% worth it for me to support them for how much easier they made my life these past 2 years :D

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Last Pass Prem.
I started using it a few months ago.
Also not having to remember or write down passwords, or think of different new passwords when changing them.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use RoboForm Everywhere. It's getting a bit cumbersome on Android now, in order for it to auti-fill a password for an app it can't just use the password card that is saved for the related site, it has to have a saved password from THAT APP.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a password manager. Can someone fill me in how this works? Does this mean a nefarious person only needs to get 1 password right to have access to all my other passwords? Meaning I choose a master password then the manager makes up good passwords for all my logins?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a password manager. Can someone fill me in how this works? Does this mean a nefarious person only needs to get 1 password right to have access to all my other passwords? Meaning I choose a master password then the manager makes up good passwords for all my logins?

You basically make one uber password that you can remember. Instead of trying to make multiple complicated ones for multiple sites (which then makes it super hard to remember) you just make one crazy password. From there you stack 2FA on it through an app (not SMS since that isn't as secure). Therefore the chances of someone getting the password AND getting your 2FA is next to impossible.

If the place is hacked and your information is stolen the chances of them breaking the encryption on your "vault" (as LastPass calls it) is also next to impossible.

Once the login to the PW manager is done from there you just log all your sites into it. I personally log every login I have and I reset the password to that login with a generated one (usually the max I can do or near it). This way my logins are crazy things such as "s@b*vwlzMYGn4*nfB5R5ke64mj" for a password to a website. :).

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use 1Password. I used it a long while ago then tried LastPass, EnPass and Bitwarden. I recently tried 1Password and remembered how slick and professional it is. Highly recommended.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to use SplashID on my Palm Treo and early Android devices but then they changed their syncing mechanism and it just sucked.
I've been using B-Folders https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jointlogic.bfolders.android for the last few years and it was a good replacement (Android app is free; capability to sync to Windows had a one-time cost) but they were slow to implement new features so I'm getting ready to try out Lastpass.
I'm not much for the subscription model, though, so I'll have to see if it at least supports backup of the database to Google Drive.