01-23-2018 09:11 AM
30 12
tools
    Just curious, what's your go-to Password Manager app?

Preferably, I'm looking for one that doesn't charge a monthly/annual fee to use it, but is still reputable & secure.

It's one thing to read reviews on the Google Play store, but I'd like to know what some of you prefer.

Thanks
    01-21-2018 11:51 PM
    Kate and I use LastPass Family Plan.
    LastPass works transparently across all our devices.
    Dell XPS 15 9560, Windows 10 Pro
    Dell AIO, Windows 10
    Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 Pro
    Google Nexus 9 tablet
    Google Nexus 6 smartphone
    Google Pixel 2 XL smartphone
    We share joint password access to our bank accounts and smart home devices.
    And we maintain individual password access to our own sites.
    We've used LastPass for several years.
    01-22-2018 12:15 AM
    I use LastPass. I pay for the premium ($24 a year). Love it so far. I have used it on my PC via chrome extension, iPhone (when using one), and also on Android via my Pixel 2 XL.
    01-22-2018 12:18 AM
    I use LastPass free. Lol.

Can anybody explain the difference between using it free and paid?
    01-22-2018 12:21 AM
    I use LastPass free. Lol.

Can anybody explain the difference between using it free and paid?
    Free is for use on only one operating system.
    Paid is for use over more than one operating system.
    Since we use both Windows 10 and Android, we are paid.
    01-22-2018 12:31 AM
    Hmm. Mine is working on Chrome and Firefox on Win10, and Android (3 devices).
    01-22-2018 12:33 AM
    Are you guys doing the auto fill, where it plugs in an encrypted password for all your sites?
    01-22-2018 12:38 AM
    Hmm. Mine is working on Chrome and Firefox on Win10, and Android (3 devices).
    I checked and things have changed since I started using LastPass several years ago.
    Here's a chart that shows you the difference between your individual free account and the family plan that Kate and I have.
    https://www.lastpass.com/pricing
    chanchan05 likes this.
    01-22-2018 12:44 AM
    Are you guys doing the auto fill, where it plugs in an encrypted password for all your sites?
    Yes
    01-22-2018 12:49 AM
    That is the old method. The free allows a lot.

I pay for the support, the 1 GB of files I can attach, and to support LastPass. $24 a year is 110% worth it for me to support them for how much easier they made my life these past 2 years
    01-22-2018 01:12 AM
    I use Enpass. The Android version is available here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=io.enpass.app. I also use the Windows version on my PC.
    01-22-2018 03:32 AM
    I probably should consider one.... still using my noodle.
    01-22-2018 05:29 AM
    I use Last Pass Prem.
    I started using it a few months ago.
    Also not having to remember or write down passwords, or think of different new passwords when changing them.
    01-22-2018 06:49 AM
    I use RoboForm Everywhere. It's getting a bit cumbersome on Android now, in order for it to auti-fill a password for an app it can't just use the password card that is saved for the related site, it has to have a saved password from THAT APP.
    01-22-2018 07:48 AM
    I also use Last Pass. It does stink their pricing went up, but $24/yr is still worth it. This video is what sold it on me (fast forward to 1:30:00)

01-22-2018 08:33 AM
    I've never used a password manager. Can someone fill me in how this works? Does this mean a nefarious person only needs to get 1 password right to have access to all my other passwords? Meaning I choose a master password then the manager makes up good passwords for all my logins?
    01-22-2018 09:17 AM
    I've never used a password manager. Can someone fill me in how this works? Does this mean a nefarious person only needs to get 1 password right to have access to all my other passwords? Meaning I choose a master password then the manager makes up good passwords for all my logins?
    You basically make one uber password that you can remember. Instead of trying to make multiple complicated ones for multiple sites (which then makes it super hard to remember) you just make one crazy password. From there you stack 2FA on it through an app (not SMS since that isn't as secure). Therefore the chances of someone getting the password AND getting your 2FA is next to impossible.

If the place is hacked and your information is stolen the chances of them breaking the encryption on your "vault" (as LastPass calls it) is also next to impossible.

Once the login to the PW manager is done from there you just log all your sites into it. I personally log every login I have and I reset the password to that login with a generated one (usually the max I can do or near it). This way my logins are crazy things such as "s@b*vwlzMYGn4*nfB5R5ke64mj" for a password to a website. .
    hallux and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-22-2018 09:27 AM
    Recommend both Last Pass and Dashlane... Both solid password managers!
    01-22-2018 01:17 PM
    I use 1Password. I used it a long while ago then tried LastPass, EnPass and Bitwarden. I recently tried 1Password and remembered how slick and professional it is. Highly recommended.
    01-22-2018 02:48 PM
    I used to use SplashID on my Palm Treo and early Android devices but then they changed their syncing mechanism and it just sucked.
    I've been using B-Folders https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olders.android for the last few years and it was a good replacement (Android app is free; capability to sync to Windows had a one-time cost) but they were slow to implement new features so I'm getting ready to try out Lastpass.
    I'm not much for the subscription model, though, so I'll have to see if it at least supports backup of the database to Google Drive.
    01-22-2018 02:56 PM
    ...so I'll have to see if it at least supports backup of the database to Google Drive.
    It doesn't look like there's an automated backup like that, but you can manually export your password info and transfer that to another account. Keep in mind these are going to plain text files, so you'll have possible security concerns doing it.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=1206

May I ask why you'd want to backup the database? I can understand doing so if transferring to another service, so you can import your info. But Last Pass is already cloud based and syncs real time across all devices. Your vault is also stored, encrypted, and decrypted locally (meaning they they never have access to anything other than your multiply encrypted data "blob") so you'll maintain access even if you lose online access to their servers.
    01-22-2018 03:18 PM
    May I ask why you'd want to backup the database?
    The other password managers I've been using didn't have cloud storage so I'm used to always having a backup stored locally (and copied to my Google Drive). I guess I assumed that cloud storage was a premium feature.
    01-22-2018 03:39 PM
    The other password managers I've been using didn't have cloud storage so I'm used to always having a backup stored locally (and copied to my Google Drive). I guess I assumed that cloud storage was a premium feature.
    It use to be that you had to pay to get cross platform access, but now that's been made free. It's always had their own cloud storage, though.
    01-22-2018 04:21 PM
    I probably should consider one.... still using my noodle.
    At least it's free!
    01-22-2018 04:46 PM
    I used to use SplashID on my Palm Treo and early Android devices but then they changed their syncing mechanism and it just sucked.
    I've been using B-Folders https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olders.android for the last few years and it was a good replacement (Android app is free; capability to sync to Windows had a one-time cost) but they were slow to implement new features so I'm getting ready to try out Lastpass.
    I'm not much for the subscription model, though, so I'll have to see if it at least supports backup of the database to Google Drive.
    I used SplashID on all my PalmOS devices too and liked it when I moved to Android. I agree that when they changed their licensing/syncing model it went from good to sucky. I hate apps that use a subscription model and so far have managed to avoid any that do.

I was able to save an APK of the old SplashID and a copy of their old desktop app. I'm still using this version to sync my passwords across all of my phones and tablets.
    01-22-2018 05:07 PM
30 12