Easiest Way to Delete ALL App Cache on Pixel 2/2XL

min_dynasty

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
I used to use CleanMaster to delete all app cache but I realized it only cleans it for a handful of apps. Therefore, I've resorted to going to Settings > Apps & Notifications, and deleting each app's cache one at a time, which is a PITA! Is there a way to clear cache for ALL apps with a click of a button on Pixel 2/2XL?

If not, what app do you use to do so? Thanks!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

It's kind of pointless to clean the app cache on a regular basis (memory as well, as Clean Master is also known for) because it helps the system run smoother and now efficiently. The only time it's worth it to do such things is if you suspect you have a rogue app and are doing so as a diagnostic step. In that case, doing it one by one is better than the shotgun approach of Clean Master so you can know if the app you cleaned fixed the issue.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's kind of pointless to clean the app cache on a regular basis (memory as well, as Clean Master is also known for) because it helps the system run smoother and now efficiently. The only time it's worth it to do such things is if you suspect you have a rogue app and are doing so as a diagnostic step. In that case, doing it one by one is better than the shotgun approach of Clean Master so you can know if the app you cleaned fixed the issue.
Google removed the option in Oreo for this very reason.

min_dynasty

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
re:

I've been using CleanMaster for years now with my Samsung GS4 & LG V10, and it's worked wonders; cleaned cache for every app. I clear app cache every week or so to free up space (more so b/c of my OCD tendencies :p). I've realized my Pixel2XL is blazing fast to open apps even with cleared cache.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

Cache is constantly being rebuilt and refreshed. Clearing it only causes it to be rebuilt again, and quickly so. For an app like Chrome, it also means increased data usage as it re-downloads pages, images, and other. items to store in the cache. Other than the occasional app acting up, I've yet to see anyone complain about their cache being used. So I'd still suggest at least trying to leave it be and see if you notice any negative effects. It's there for a purpose after all.

For memory, since it's often viewed with similar misconceptions on Android, this article does a fine job explaining why it too should be left alone.

https://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

Cache is constantly being rebuilt and refreshed. Clearing it only causes it to be rebuilt again, and quickly so. For an app like Chrome, it also means increased data usage as it re-downloads pages, images, and other. items to store in the cache. Other than the occasional app acting up, I've yet to see anyone complain about their cache being used. So I'd still suggest at least trying to leave it be and see if you notice any negative effects. It's there for a purpose after all.

For memory, since it's often viewed with similar misconceptions on Android, this article does a fine job explaining why it too should be left alone.

Agree fully with Jerry and with this guy:

It's recommended to do neither except when troubleshooting a specific problem. You don't need to kill apps unless they're going rogue and RAM handles itself, interfering with it is actually more detrimental to the system than just letting it handle processes dynamically. In 2010 it was important, a little, to keep an eye on RAM and CPU management, but in the 2013/2014 world of devices you shouldn't have to ever even look at it unless something is specifically wrong that you're trying to investigate. It's not going to help battery life, speed or fluidity to micromanage it manually or to let an app micromanage it.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
re:

I would strongly urge you to uninstall it and all apps created by Cheetah Mobile.

Like QuickPic? I was a longtime QuickPic user until it was bought by Cheetah Mobile. I still used a pre-Cheetah version until it no longer worked after an OS update.

Just say no to Cheetah Mobile.

min_dynasty

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
re:

Thanks for your guidance. I'm not complaining about the use of cache, just the amount of space it takes up on my phone...I was able to free up 5% of storage space by clearing cache for my most frequently used apps (Instagram, CNBC, StockTwits, Twitter, etc), a few of these apps had over 100MBs of cache.

so going back to my original question, since Google removed the option to clear all app cache at once, is there any safe/respectable app out there that will allow me to do so? Just uninstalled CleanMaster after seeing Aquila's post. Thanks all.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thanks for your guidance. I'm not complaining about the use of cache, just the amount of space it takes up on my phone...I was able to free up 5% of storage space by clearing cache for my most frequently used apps (Instagram, CNBC, StockTwits, Twitter, etc), a few of these apps had over 100MBs of cache.

so going back to my original question, since Google removed the option to clear all app cache at once, is there any safe/respectable app out there that will allow me to do so? Just uninstalled CleanMaster after seeing Aquila's post. Thanks all.
You could try Files Go by Google. Nice little app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nbu.files

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
re:

If you're that OCD about cache utilization and adamant about clearing up as much space as possible it might be worth auditing your currently installed apps and consider substituting mobile websites for some of them. Some apps don't offer much besides a dressed-up webview of the provider's content. I was able to eliminate a good number of apps this way.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re:

On the Pixel 2 XL, that may be true.
I also have 2 Nexus 6 phones running PureNexus. I have always found on those phones that clearing Cache is a great help when they are runnning slowly. The same applied when I was using stock Android on those phones. Yes, the process has to be repeated, but it's quick and easy in older versions of Android: Settings, Storage, tap Cache, OK to clear. I run more than one user account on these phones and they just get bogged down during everyday use. And the phones are far from full. Only 20-33% of the phone's storage is used. Clearing the Cache on these phones always instantly gets them back to working smoothly. The Caches don't even get too large, but clearing all every hour or two definetly fixes the phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

On the Pixel 2 XL, that may be true.
I also have 2 Nexus 6 phones running PureNexus. I have always found on those phones that clearing Cache is a great help when they are runnning slowly. The same applied when I was using stock Android on those phones. Yes, the process has to be repeated, but it's quick and easy in older versions of Android: Settings, Storage, tap Cache, OK to clear. I run more than one user account on these phones and they just get bogged down during everyday use. And the phones are far from full. Only 20-33% of the phone's storage is used. Clearing the Cache on these phones always instantly gets them back to working smoothly. The Caches don't even get too large, but clearing all every hour or two definetly fixes the phones.
You would likely fall into the later part of my comment, suspecting you have an app running rogue or just pushing the limits of the phone. I have no doubt clearing your cache makes it run smoother, but you're also likely using extra battery power with all the clearing and rebuilding of the cache. My Droid Bionic got to where it needed similar actions, usually specific to one app, and it was simply a case of asking too much of the phone for its age.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re:

You would likely fall into the later part of my comment, suspecting you have an app running rogue or just pushing the limits of the phone. I have no doubt clearing your cache makes it run smoother, but you're also likely using extra battery power with all the clearing and rebuilding of the cache. My Droid Bionic got to where it needed similar actions, usually specific to one app, and it was simply a case of asking too much of the phone for its age.

Thanks. I can't determine if there's a rogue app on the 2 phones. How would you do that?

As for pushing the limits, I think that Android has an issue with running more than one User account. Even though the storage is mostly unused, they get slow.