Pixel 2 XL and your car or trucks Bluetooth compatibility?

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
What car or truck and what functions work and don't work?
2016 Dodge Charger.
Hansd free calling and text. Yes
Voice navigation over car speakers. No
Bluetooth audio auto sync. No

Infamousd22

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Uconnect. phone calls, texts, and audio works. except for some reason Pandora won't display song information. I've changed the Bluetooth setting from 1.4 to 1.5, 1.6, even 1.3. the 1.6 worked for one song then next time I got in my car it wouldn't display anything. sometimes it'll show it for a second then say unknown. it displays info for YouTube. I don't get this issue. any ideas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
2011 Kia Forte 5
Hands-free for calls works fine (using the steering wheel controls)
Text messages aren't supported, although it did work when I installed Android Auto on my phone.
Voice navigation (from Google Maps) plays just fine (although oddly enough the audio level is greatly diminished if I'm on a phone call; I say oddly because it's different behavior than what happened on my Nexus 6P).

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
2014 Chevy Traverse. Bluetooth worked great on phone calls with my Lumia Icon. Just got the Pixel 2 one month ago, and have been having a bit of trouble with it. I can't use the steering wheel button to place a call ... the call connection just drops after finding the phone. If I place the call with the phone, then the Bluetooth picks it up and plays it over the car system. If a call comes in, no problem, it plays over the car system. I haven't been to the car dealership yet, to have them troubleshoot the problem ... hopefully they can fix it, as I don't like fiddling with the phone when driving.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
My wife has a 2016 Charger with 8.4 UConnect.

What do you mean by Bluetooth audio auto sync?

I use to have an iPhone 7 and if I was listening to music or radio talk shows when I entered my car and started it up it would automatically connect to bluetooth and start playing over the cars sound system.
With the Pixel 2 XL it will not do that.
You also can't hear turn by turn directions over the cars speaker and for me to even hear directions I have to turn bluetooth off on the phone. This also happens with my sons S8 and my brothers Note 8.
Keep in mind the 2016 did not come with car play/android auto. Not paying $1300.00 to have that feature. lol

FYI. I'm not going back to Crapple.
Samsung is not an option as everyone I've owned had hardware issues.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use to have an iPhone 7 and if I was listening to music or radio talk shows when I entered my car and started it up it would automatically connect to bluetooth and start playing over the cars sound system.
With the Pixel 2 XL it will not do that.
You also can't hear turn by turn directions over the cars speaker and for me to even hear directions I have to turn bluetooth off on the phone. This also happens with my sons S8 and my brothers Note 8.
Keep in mind the 2016 did not come with car play/android auto. Not paying $1300.00 to have that feature. lol

FYI. I'm not going back to Crapple.
OK, when I get a chance I'll try my wife's Charger.

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with UConnect and I seem to remember if I'm listening to music and remote start the vehicle, the music automatically switched over to the truck, but maybe I'm mistaken and it happened with my previous phone, Droid Turbo. That's something I can check, too.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
OK, when I get a chance I'll try my wife's Charger.

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with UConnect and I seem to remember if I'm listening to music and remote start the vehicle, the music automatically switched over to the truck, but maybe I'm mistaken and it happened with my previous phone, Droid Turbo. That's something I can check, too.

I can go into the settings on the UConnect and turn off Audio pairing and back on then it works. If I shut the car off and back on? Nothing. Have to follow the same steps. Pandora, RadioPup, Tunein, etc. all the same. People at the dealer said it's the app. I said let me use your iPhone and then!!! (crickets)

LOL

Dodge and UConnect blame the phones and the apps and Google and Android blame the car makers.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I can go into the settings on the UConnect and turn off Audio pairing and back on then it works. If I shut the car off and back on? Nothing. Have to follow the same steps. Pandora, RadioPup, Tunein, etc. all the same. People at the dealer said it's the app. I said let me use your iPhone and then!!! (crickets)

LOL

I'd love to see the look on their faces!

Dodge and UConnect blame the phones and the apps and Google and Android blame the car makers.

Yep, a lot of that going around.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Tested my 2015 Ram 1500 pickup with UConnect 8.4 system.

While driving, squeezed the sides of the phone and said, "Navigation", when prompted where I wanted to go I answer, "Home". The turn-by-turn navigation voice directed me home. I DID hear the instructions for navigation coming over the vehicle's speakers.

Once home with truck idling in driveway I switch the UConnect over to bluetooth and play music through the speakers via the Poweramp app. Then I turn off truck and exit the vehicle.

Several minutes later while inside my house I'm listening to TuneIn Radio over the Pixel 2 XL speakers. I go outside, get in my truck and start it. It connects to the phone and automatically starts playing the TuneIn content over the vehicle's speakers.

Seems to be working on my truck. When I get a chance I'll test my wife's Charger.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Now I turned on TuneIn can't here it. Went into UConnect settings tapped Phone-Settings-Paired Audio Sources. Tapped the Gear icon, disconnect phone then connect device and I hear TuneIn. Exit the app or restart the car? Repeat. Lol

riccochet

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Uconnect. phone calls, texts, and audio works. except for some reason Pandora won't display song information. I've changed the Bluetooth setting from 1.4 to 1.5, 1.6, even 1.3. the 1.6 worked for one song then next time I got in my car it wouldn't display anything. sometimes it'll show it for a second then say unknown. it displays info for YouTube. I don't get this issue. any ideas?

My 2017 Ram 1500 w/ 8.4AN does the exact same thing with Pandora. This is not a uConnect issue as it did the same thing with my last Pixel XL.

I'm beyond pissed uConnect removed the built in Pandora/iHearRadio/Slacker apps and left us with nothing. Essentially I have a nice big display that's useless for media consumption without messing around with my phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
2017 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab -- Yes to Hands Free calling & I have Android Auto so I have navigation + more.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Now I turned on TuneIn can't here it. Went into UConnect settings tapped Phone-Settings-Paired Audio Sources. Tapped the Gear icon, disconnect phone then connect device and I hear TuneIn. Exit the app or restart the car? Repeat. Lol

Are your UConnect software updates current? If you took it to the dealer I presume they made sure of that, but you should ask. I say this because I was having trouble using voice commands to play music from my SD Card. UConnect would say, "I'm sorry I'm still updating your music catalog." I updated the UConnect software myself by downloading the software and installing using a USB drive. No joy. Next time I got an oil change, maybe a month later I had them look at it. They installed new updates. I got a new, sexier, less robotic female voice and my voice commands worked.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Updated to the latest version available. The last one came through while I was on a trip so that was perfect timing.

Did you try your wifes car?

Last edited: