Videos attachments

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a Google Pixel 2XL ... had a Galaxy S8 before this ... why is it that when someone on an iPhone sends me a video via text message, the video is totally blurry? It is beyond frustrating. I never had this issue when I was on iOS - only when I switched to Android. Photo attachments arrive at full resolution, but videos arrive blurry and useless.

Last summer was on Verizon with Galaxy S8 ... same problem .... then T-Mobile with a Galaxy S8 ... same problem .... now Pixel 2XL on Project Fi ... same problem.

Do videos created with an iPhone simply NOT get along with Android when they're transmitted? I don't get it.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Because iMessage mms doesn't have nearly the limit that traditional mms does.

So, I guess sending/receiving MMS at full resolution is somethng you have to be willing to give up when going from iMessage/iOS to Android .... ?

I was a little ignorant to this whole MMS limitation thing. I didn't realize that all those years I was on iOS, sending and receiving full resolution MMS was to be considered a luxury.

So, basically, if you're on an Android device, you're out of luck when it comes to receiving and sending full res MMS .... ?

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
So, I guess sending/receiving MMS at full resolution is somethng you have to be willing to give up when going from iMessage/iOS to Android .... ?

I was a little ignorant to this whole MMS limitation thing. I didn't realize that all those years I was on iOS, sending and receiving full resolution MMS was to be considered a luxury.

So, basically, if you're on an Android device, you're out of luck when it comes to receiving and sending full res MMS .... ?

Pictures depending on the size are fine. Videos Sally are not. Luckily you have apps like WeChat, whatsapp,kakaotalk,FB messenger,etc that allow you to send full resolution videos. Most people in the world use these apps on iOS and Android (America is the only place where imessage is King). If you don't like those options then yeah you're out of luck sadly. :(

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Pictures depending on the size are fine. Videos Sally are not. Luckily you have apps like WeChat, whatsapp,kakaotalk,FB messenger,etc that allow you to send full resolution videos. Most people in the world use these apps on iOS and Android (America is the only place where imessage is King). If you don't like those options then yeah you're out of luck sadly. :(

Wow. All those years on iMessage and I took for granted the ability to send/receive videos with no issues.

If I download WhatsApp or any of those others apps, does the person on the other end also have to be on that app for us to send/receive full res videos?

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Wow. All those years on iMessage and I took for granted the ability to send/receive videos with no issues.

If I download WhatsApp or any of those others apps, does the person on the other end also have to be on that app for us to send/receive full res videos?
Yes to all except FB messenger I believe

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

I have a Google Pixel 2XL ... had a Galaxy S8 before this ... why is it that when someone on an iPhone sends me a video via text message, the video is totally blurry? It is beyond frustrating. I never had this issue when I was on iOS - only when I switched to Android. Photo attachments arrive at full resolution, but videos arrive blurry and useless.

Last summer was on Verizon with Galaxy S8 ... same problem .... then T-Mobile with a Galaxy S8 ... same problem .... now Pixel 2XL on Project Fi ... same problem.

Do videos created with an iPhone simply NOT get along with Android when they're transmitted? I don't get it.

Tell the people that want to send you video to send by link

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, there really is no "iMesssage MMS".

An iMesssage is simply an iMessage regardless of it's "text-only" or has media attached.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Simple. When you sent it from iOS to iOS you sent it via iMessage which uses apples servers and bypasses your carrier messaging (it only uses data.. either LTE or wifi) which means it can send a full quality video.

When Android is sending a video or receiving one it's via MMS since it comes as an actual text which goes through your carrier. The carrier dumbs it down but also MMS wasn't meant for huge files such as HD video so therefore it's compressed to basically crap quality.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Simple. When you sent it from iOS to iOS you sent it via iMessage which uses apples servers and bypasses your carrier messaging (it only uses data.. either LTE or wifi) which means it can send a full quality video.

When Android is sending a video or receiving one it's via MMS since it comes as an actual text which goes through your carrier. The carrier dumbs it down but also MMS wasn't meant for huge files such as HD video so therefore it's compressed to basically crap quality.

Understood. Thanks!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

No I believe only when sending from imessenger to iMessenger. So if someone from Android sends you a video to your iOS device it will still be blurry if it's a long clip. I recommend using Google photos and just sharing the video as a link to get full he quality regardless of the length of the video. Or like mentioned before you can use apps like FB messenger and WhatsApp etc. Good luck.