02-21-2018 07:47 PM
34 12
tools
    It was just very aggressive... the peak charge voltage was at the absolute upper limit for LiPo cells and they used an equally aggressive charging profile to charge it quickly. So just the act of charging the phone to 100% put the cell under a significant amount of stress, more so that most phones.

Frankly, as someone who plans on keeping the phone for an extended period, I'm more than happy to sacrifice charging speed for longevity. I had to swap out the batter on my 6P at about 15 months as it was down to about 85% capacity (even with my somewhat conservative charging practices).

Unless there is a big shift in battery technology, I wouldn't expect to see faster charging phones from Google. They clearly have made battery longevity a priority (it was one of the marketing points when the Pixel 2 launched). It remains to be seen if this pays dividends in real world usage, but on paper, less charging stress should mean longer cell life.
    Did Google not set the charge to slow down as it got close 100?
    02-11-2018 11:36 PM
    Unless there is a big shift in battery technology, I wouldn't expect to see faster charging phones from Google.
    The technology already exists, but unlikely we'll see it in phone batteries because everyone wants paper thin phones. In devices where battery size isn't such a concern, they can make the Lipo batteries with more conductive surface area to allow for up to a 5C charge rate. For a 3,000mAh battery, that would mean a 15A max current. 4,000mAh batteries could accept up to 20A max current.

Did Google not set the charge to slow down as it got close 100?
    This is standard charging practice across the board for lithium based batteries. Running full amperage right up to 100% would risk bursting it.
    02-12-2018 07:35 AM
    It was just very aggressive... the peak charge voltage was at the absolute upper limit for LiPo cells and they used an equally aggressive charging profile to charge it quickly. So just the act of charging the phone to 100% put the cell under a significant amount of stress, more so that most phones.

Frankly, as someone who plans on keeping the phone for an extended period, I'm more than happy to sacrifice charging speed for longevity. I had to swap out the batter on my 6P at about 15 months as it was down to about 85% capacity (even with my somewhat conservative charging practices).

Unless there is a big shift in battery technology, I wouldn't expect to see faster charging phones from Google. They clearly have made battery longevity a priority (it was one of the marketing points when the Pixel 2 launched). It remains to be seen if this pays dividends in real world usage, but on paper, less charging stress should mean longer cell life.
    You think that's acceptable for fast charging?
    I've been fast charging my s8+ since launch and great battery life and no problems
    Attached Thumbnails rapid charge not charging faster?-668.jpg  
    02-12-2018 08:40 AM
    27% rapid charging and 13 hours until fully charged...smh
    02-12-2018 08:41 AM
    You think that's acceptable for fast charging?
    I've been fast charging my s8+ since launch and great battery life and no problems
    Fast charging in and of itself isn't the problem... It's how the cells and the phone's power system is configured.

And this isn't about getting the batteries to last a year, it's about getting them to last 2 to 3.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-15-2018 03:24 PM
    27% rapid charging and 13 hours until fully charged...smh
    Something is wrong with your phone or charger. That isn't normal at all.

I can charge my phone from 30% to full in about an hour and 10-20 mins?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-15-2018 04:52 PM
    I don't what it was but it's working right now. I Kno it's not the charger because I have few of them and they are same.. so it leaves the phone as the problem..I talked with Google support and they told me try factory reset but I haven't done that yet because it's been ok of late. I'm getting great battery life like 2 days and 6 hrs sot so happy with that
    02-15-2018 09:23 PM
    I'm not very happy with how long it takes to charge my 2xl. Fast charging that takes over 1.5 hours is only fast compared to charging an iPhone. When I use the charger for my 6p my Pixel charges much more quickly. But, I'm not that concerned about battery longevity since I'll get the Pixel 3 when it's released. I'm glad to know, though, that I'm not the only one who thinks the quick charge is pretty slow.
    02-21-2018 07:38 PM
    I'm not very happy with how long it takes to charge my 2xl. Fast charging that takes over 1.5 hours is only fast compared to charging an iPhone. When I use the charger for my 6p my Pixel charges much more quickly. But, I'm not that concerned about battery longevity since I'll get the Pixel 3 when it's released. I'm glad to know, though, that I'm not the only one who thinks the quick charge is pretty slow.
    I don't find it slow
    02-21-2018 07:47 PM
34 12