iPhone 6+ to Pixel 2xl

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

I have been doing ALOT of research on phones lately.....I’m able to upgrade at anytime but had a few questions before I go ahead, so please bare with me!!

First off anyone on here that has been a long time iPhone user that switched to the Pixel 2XL? I have been an iPhone user forever and have t had any issue with any of their phones but recently I’m just tired of the same ole thing year after year...I don’t want a lot of customization but a little would be nice! I still want things to be simple....and that’s where I feel the Pixel phone would be perfect for me.

Secondly, is it a good idea to upgrade now or wait till Oct to get the Pixel 3 or whatever it will be called.....is the Pixel 2XL still worthy of upgrading to?

Lastly, kind of a odd question, but what color is everyone’s favorite....Black, White, White/Black?

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from all of you! Any info wouldn’t appreciated!!

Luke

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I have been doing ALOT of research on phones lately.....I’m able to upgrade at anytime but had a few questions before I go ahead, so please bare with me!!

First off anyone on here that has been a long time iPhone user that switched to the Pixel 2XL? I have been an iPhone user forever and have t had any issue with any of their phones but recently I’m just tired of the same ole thing year after year...I don’t want a lot of customization but a little would be nice! I still want things to be simple....and that’s where I feel the Pixel phone would be perfect for me.

Secondly, is it a good idea to upgrade now or wait till Oct to get the Pixel 3 or whatever it will be called.....is the Pixel 2XL still worthy of upgrading to?

Lastly, kind of a odd question, but what color is everyone’s favorite....Black, White, White/Black?

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from all of you! Any info wouldn’t appreciated!!

Luke
I agree with you that if you're coming from an iPhone, the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 is the way to go. I don't think it's worth waiting for the 3. It's going to be a long wait. The 2 is still relatively new, and despite not having this year's upcoming flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, previous year models have either beaten or kept up with phones from pretty much the whole first and most of the 2nd half of the year.

The camera on the XL 2 is insanely good, and that alone is worth the upgrade. Color wise, to me its a no-brainer. The Panda color scheme is beautiful and really stands out.ore than that, for whatever reason, I found my later build Panda color to have a better screen, and better haptic feedback than black ones I saw at stores with the same build date. I'm just one person, so that's a meaningless statistic, but it just adds to the Panda coloring argument.

The key to a successful switching experience is looking for good YouTube videos on how to switch. It will take about 2 weeks to get used to. Don't give up. Once you're used to it, you'll wonder why you used iPhones for so long. But it does take those two weeks.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I agree with you that if you're coming from an iPhone, the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 is the way to go. I don't think it's worth waiting for the 3. It's going to be a long wait. The 2 is still relatively new, and despite not having this year's upcoming flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, previous year models have either beaten or kept up with phones from pretty much the whole first and most of the 2nd half of the year.

The camera on the XL 2 is insanely good, and that alone is worth the upgrade. Color wise, to me its a no-brainer. The Panda color scheme is beautiful and really stands out.ore than that, for whatever reason, I found my later build Panda color to have a better screen, and better haptic feedback than black ones I saw at stores with the same build date. I'm just one person, so that's a meaningless statistic, but it just adds to the Panda coloring argument.

The key to a successful switching experience is looking for good YouTube videos on how to switch. It will take about 2 weeks to get used to. Don't give up. Once you're used to it, you'll wonder why you used iPhones for so long. But it does take those two weeks.

Thank you for your post! I agree with everything you said....that’s where my mind is at and going but it’s that fear of the unknown when your phone is such an intricate part of your daily life!! Plus everything on my iPhone is all Google based and I have a google home so it kind of only makes sense to get a google phone to add to the commonality!!

I really am loving everything about the Pixel 2XL, with everything I keep reading, and the Black/white color I am digging but I’ve always been a black phone guy myself.....so I guess will see!!

If you have any other input or personal experiences please share!!

Luke

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
The Black/white color I am digging but I’ve always been a black phone guy myself.....so I guess will see!!

I also was... Until now. This one just looks so much nicer in panda. Even just the power button being orange.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I carry both, an iPhone and a Pixel 2 XL. For years I switched between platforms but now I require two lines so having one of each works well for me. I've had lots of different Android phones over the years and to date, the Pixel is my all time favorite. For me, the Pixel is the most iPhone like Android phone around. I say that because you set it up and that's it, no tinkering required, no turn this or that off to help with battery life, no disabling carrier bloatware and most importantly assurance of timely updates directly from Google. Good luck with your decision and both colors look great.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"... so please bare with me!!"

I most certainly will not bare with you. I don't undress whenever someone on the internet asked me to.

In 1987 a friend told me he was getting a pc for his some but he wanted to wait until they got as good as they'd get and were as cheap as they'd get. I suppose he's still waiting. I don't think you can hit a time when there won't be newer phones on the horizon.

I like my Pixel 2 a lot. I live in Mexico and had to pay a premium to get it since they aren't selling in Mexico and I think it was worth it. My Pixel 2 is, in my opinion, a great phone and most agree it has a superb camera. The sound is much, much better than the original Pixel and I like it better than a friend's Note 8.

As for color, it doesn't matter. I will not have a "phone" that costs over $700 without a case. I use a holster with a soft cover on the back of the phone and a hard plastic holser it fits into. I'm also hesitant to advertise that I'm carrying a Pixel 2. Thieves can no long to a factory reset and "own" your stolen phone. They'd have to torture you for account information so they could do a factory reset.

But, FWIW, I got the black. Black isn't flash but it is class. You could also consider black and then skin it. I wouldn't but if you're into visuals, you could.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your post! I agree with everything you said....that’s where my mind is at and going but it’s that fear of the unknown when your phone is such an intricate part of your daily life!! Plus everything on my iPhone is all Google based and I have a google home so it kind of only makes sense to get a google phone to add to the commonality!!

I really am loving everything about the Pixel 2XL, with everything I keep reading, and the Black/white color I am digging but I’ve always been a black phone guy myself.....so I guess will see!!

If you have any other input or personal experiences please share!!

Luke

Apple wants to make you feel like you're missing out on some spectacular features if you don't buy an iPhone, and you have to have one. Life as you know it will end if you leave the ecosystem, because Apple "just works" and is magical. Their marketing is brilliant and it is very effective. Do not worry at all about it.

I've used every iPhone since the 4 and am currently using the X and a Pixel 2XL. The only real issues you need to work out are iMessage and/or FaceTime, and Apple Pay. In my case, EVERYONE in my life uses iPhones, and it is very annoying if they want to FaceTime because they don't want to try and learn to use Duo for video calling (which has an app for iOS). If you can motivate family and friends, Duo can give you video calling.

Feature-wise, you will learn to really appreciate what the Pixel can do. Gmail automatically adds everything to my calendar when I get email confirmations. Same thing with appointments. When I turn on Android Auto in my car upcoming reservations or appointments appear on my car dashboard and Google maps begins to navigate at the press of a button. Apple Maps and CarPlay, nope.

There is a learning curve with Android if you haven't used it before, but you'll get comfortable quickly. There are minor issues you'll have, none are deal breaking. Tinkering-wise, I've disabled almost all apps from running in background. The auto-brightness (adaptive brightness as it is labelled) is pure trash and fluctuates very quickly and often. I bought the app "Lux" awhile ago for other phones and this solves the problem. That's it.

Transferring files is simple in Android compared to Apple. Plug your Pixel into your computer and drag / drop. That's it.

My favorite tweak is running an adb command and enabling immersive mode while Chrome is open. This is because by default, the navigation bar is always visible. You can choose to have it enabled for individual apps or all of the time. I just use it for Chrome / web browsing.

Re: your 2nd question, if you need a phone now upgrade now. Something new will always be on the horizon. Look for deals. Best Buy 2 weeks ago had $250 off the Pixel 2 XL in-store (not carrier monthly credits, but $250 off instantly), I walked out with the phone for $600.

Color options, I don't like the Panda so opted for the all black version.

Good luck if you choose to jump. The good news is you have a return window. So if things don't work out you can just return it.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Apple wants to make you feel like you're missing out on some spectacular features if you don't buy an iPhone, and you have to have one. Life as you know it will end if you leave the ecosystem, because Apple "just works" and is magical. Their marketing is brilliant and it is very effective. Do not worry at all about it.

I've used every iPhone since the 4 and am currently using the X and a Pixel 2XL. The only real issues you need to work out are iMessage and/or FaceTime, and Apple Pay. In my case, EVERYONE in my life uses iPhones, and it is very annoying if they want to FaceTime because they don't want to try and learn to use Duo for video calling (which has an app for iOS). If you can motivate family and friends, Duo can give you video calling.

Feature-wise, you will learn to really appreciate what the Pixel can do. Gmail automatically adds everything to my calendar when I get email confirmations. Same thing with appointments. When I turn on Android Auto in my car upcoming reservations or appointments appear on my car dashboard and Google maps begins to navigate at the press of a button. Apple Maps and CarPlay, nope.

There is a learning curve with Android if you haven't used it before, but you'll get comfortable quickly. There are minor issues you'll have, none are deal breaking. Tinkering-wise, I've disabled almost all apps from running in background. The auto-brightness (adaptive brightness as it is labelled) is pure trash and fluctuates very quickly and often. I bought the app "Lux" awhile ago for other phones and this solves the problem. That's it.

Transferring files is simple in Android compared to Apple. Plug your Pixel into your computer and drag / drop. That's it.

My favorite tweak is running an adb command and enabling immersive mode while Chrome is open. This is because by default, the navigation bar is always visible. You can choose to have it enabled for individual apps or all of the time. I just use it for Chrome / web browsing.

Re: your 2nd question, if you need a phone now upgrade now. Something new will always be on the horizon. Look for deals. Best Buy 2 weeks ago had $250 off the Pixel 2 XL in-store (not carrier monthly credits, but $250 off instantly), I walked out with the phone for $600.

Color options, I don't like the Panda so opted for the all black version.

Good luck if you choose to jump. The good news is you have a return window. So if things don't work out you can just return it.

Thanks for all the info, helped a lot! One question, regarding buying from Best Buy....Best Buy says you can get up to $200 off a Pixel 2XL if you activate and do a monthly installment on the phone....that’s what I plan to do. I also want to trade in my iPhone to get money for it also....does that mean I get $200 off from Best Buy and also the money I get for my trade in? Or is the $200 from Best Buy the trade in amount? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!
Luke

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the info, helped a lot! One question, regarding buying from Best Buy....Best Buy says you can get up to $200 off a Pixel 2XL if you activate and do a monthly installment on the phone....that’s what I plan to do. I also want to trade in my iPhone to get money for it also....does that mean I get $200 off from Best Buy and also the money I get for my trade in? Or is the $200 from Best Buy the trade in amount? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!
Luke

Based purely on the website language, you won't get $200 discount off the top. You will get a $200 bill credit on your account spread out over 24 months, if you activate + monthly installment plan. This is regardless of your trade in. You will also get a BB gift card for the value of your traded in iPhone. Hope that helps.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Based purely on the website language, you won't get $200 discount off the top. You will get a $200 bill credit on your account spread out over 24 months, if you activate + monthly installment plan. This is regardless of your trade in. You will also get a BB gift card for the value of your traded in iPhone. Hope that helps.

Ok, makes sense! Which that is fine because I will be paying a monthly payment anyway! Maybe I will look into that and if I get a descent amount for my iPhone in BB gift card put that towards a Google Home Max....LOL!

Couple other questions...with notifications on the Pixel....can you quick reply to a text from the lock screen like on the iPhone? Also, can you quick reply to a text if one comes in while you are in your phone and say browsing the web or on Facebook? Hope that makes sense....LOL!

Lastly, once I get the Pixel...what will be my best option on sending videos to all my friends and family that have iPhones? Pictures I heard are good to go...is that true? Sorry if my questions are stupid but android is all new to me!

Thanks!
Luke

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, makes sense! Which that is fine because I will be paying a monthly payment anyway! Maybe I will look into that and if I get a descent amount for my iPhone in BB gift card put that towards a Google Home Max....LOL!

Couple other questions...with notifications on the Pixel....can you quick reply to a text from the lock screen like on the iPhone? Also, can you quick reply to a text if one comes in while you are in your phone and say browsing the web or on Facebook? Hope that makes sense....LOL!

Lastly, once I get the Pixel...what will be my best option on sending videos to all my friends and family that have iPhones? Pictures I heard are good to go...is that true? Sorry if my questions are stupid but android is all new to me!

Thanks!
Luke

You can reply directly to text messages from your notification drop down, and even when the phone screen is off, and the secondary display is on showing time, etc. In general, Android kills iOS on the notification front because it groups all notifications from one app together.

I'm not sure about sending videos to iPhone users. That's definitely one of the sore points. iMessage is so ubiquitous and it's very good. But Apple doesn't make it way for things to be compatible with it. I use WhatsApp for most contacts. But many of them are international, so WhatsApp is very common internationally, and works great for photos, videos, live chat, etc.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
You can reply directly to text messages from your notification drop down, and even when the phone screen is off, and the secondary display is on showing time, etc. In general, Android kills iOS on the notification front because it groups all notifications from one app together.

I'm not sure about sending videos to iPhone users. That's definitely one of the sore points. iMessage is so ubiquitous and it's very good. But Apple doesn't make it way for things to be compatible with it. I use WhatsApp for most contacts. But many of them are international, so WhatsApp is very common internationally, and works great for photos, videos, live chat, etc.

Ok great! Thanks for the info! I have heard that about Android notifications! Very interested in seeing all this once I get the phone! Again thanks for all the feedback....keep it coming if you have anything else for me!

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site

I also have to ask....how’s the display? I’m not worried about the blue tint....I just want to know, is it clear/sharp? Coming from an iPhone 6+ LCD, is it better or the same? I feel the IPhone has a great display.....so I hope it doesn’t get worse!!

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I also have to ask....how’s the display? I’m not worried about the blue tint....I just want to know, is it clear/sharp? Coming from an iPhone 6+ LCD, is it better or the same? I feel the IPhone has a great display.....so I hope it doesn’t get worse!!
I'm biased towards OLED displays. I've preferred them since 2012. So I think it's a far better display than any iPhone other than the iPhone X. But it's a very subjective thing.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm biased towards OLED displays. I've preferred them since 2012. So I think it's a far better display than any iPhone other than the iPhone X. But it's a very subjective thing.

Is the Pixel 2XL display as bad as it was said to be? I know google did a lot of updates regarding the software and hardware in the newer phones but was curious what you all thought!!

Thanks,
Luke

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Is the Pixel 2XL display as bad as it was said to be? I know google did a lot of updates regarding Ge software and hardware in the newer phones but was curious what you all thought!!

Thanks,
Luke
It depends on the build date in my experience. December and later build dates are good.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site

The display is a mixed bag as you know, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Mine has a build date of 12/13/17 so fairly new. There is some blue shift at an angle but it isn't nearly as bad as many I've seen photos of. My screen is ever so slightly darker along the right 1/3 of the screen, most people would never see it. Barely visible on white and some light backgrounds. I have no pink or other hue and uniformity is otherwise great.

That said, it isn't in the same league as a modern iPhone or S8. There's a slight graininess that is par for the course with this screen. Some are very bad, mine is minimal but compared to my iPhone X it looks like a screen door. Most enthusiasts know this going in and it doesn't hinder the Pixel experience at all.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 2XL Display

Hello all,

First off I’m sorry if this has been beaten to death already but I really need some assurance on if I’m making the correct decision. I recently made a post discussing making the move to a google 2XL from a iPhone 6+.....and a few people responded regarding the display....but I wanted more feedback so I decided to make a thread for this alone.

But, is the display really not good? My main concern is clarity and sharpness....will it be as good as my iPhone 6+? I don’t want to take a step backwards! The blue tint....is whatever.

If you could compare the screen quality to any smartphone what would it be?

I REALLY like what the Pixel 2XL has to offer especially coming from an iPhone and the simplicity to the OS.

Again sorry, I know this has been discussed a lot but I wanted some assurance in my decision, and yes I know ultimately it’s my decision but I like hearing from people’s experiences.

Thanks!

Luke

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2XL Display

The screen on the phone sucks compared to what is out there. Not only because of the blue tint that they suffer from, but also this graininess it has. Put it next two any phone and you will see that it's just not up to par especially for the price.

The trick is to get used to it, get used to the colors and the quirks of the screen. Google provided color profiles to help the color and they help a bit. But I actually got used to the natural look of it eventually.

But yes, the screen sucks... You'll know exactly when someone pulls out an S8 or iPhone and look back at your screen. But all in all the phone is great. And if you can get used to the screen it's a great phone.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2XL Display

I found that the screen quality largely improved in later builds. I had one with an October build that was not great. But I returned it and got a December build which I had for several weeks while I still had my Note 8. The screen in this one is good. It's no Note 8, but it's way better than the first one I had, and not close to what the previous responder described. I suspect that he has an older build, but let's see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital