My Pixel 2 XL arrives today. Anything I should know from the start?

RetroGlide08

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
As my Pixel 2 XL is arriving today I was wondering is there nothing I should specifically do from the get go regarding setting up/settings etc. It’s been a while since being on Android so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that you can go to Settings>Display>Colors to choose between 3 color saturation settings.

If you're a big music fan and like to know what's playing around you, go to Settings>Sound>Now Playing and turn on the Show On Lock Screen toggle.

I think this is still the case: Google apps preinstalled on the phone won't automatically show that they have updates available in the Play Store. Open Play Store, pick any Google app, then tap the "More from This Developer" button. Then select each Google app that's preinstalled, and see if there's an Update button. Once you've updated an app the first time, you'll be notified about subsequent updates through the Play Store.

Remember that with Pixel phones, you get unlimited backup of your photos to your Google Photos in the cloud at original resolution until 2021. If you have no strong objections to using Google Photos in the cloud, you should definitely make sure Backup & Sync is turned on in your Google Photos.

Speaking of photos, have a great time with the camera -- it's fantastic. Play around with AR Stickers and Portrait Mode.

Enjoy the phone! I have one, and it's been terrific.

RetroGlide08

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Remember that you can go to Settings>Display>Colors to choose between 3 color saturation settings.

If you're a big music fan and like to know what's playing around you, go to Settings>Sound>Now Playing and turn on the Show On Lock Screen toggle.

I think this is still the case: Google apps preinstalled on the phone won't automatically show that they have updates available in the Play Store. Open Play Store, pick any Google app, then tap the "More from This Developer" button. Then select each Google app that's preinstalled, and see if there's an Update button. Once you've updated an app the first time, you'll be notified about subsequent updates through the Play Store.

Remember that with Pixel phones, you get unlimited backup of your photos to your Google Photos in the cloud at original resolution until 2021. If you have no strong objections to using Google Photos in the cloud, you should definitely make sure Backup & Sync is turned on in your Google Photos.

Speaking of photos, have a great time with the camera -- it's fantastic. Play around with AR Stickers and Portrait Mode.

Enjoy the phone! I have one, and it's been terrific.

Thank You, it's my first true Giigke decide as I've hand only Samsung devices in the past before using iPhone for the past 3 years.
I really liked the look of stock Android and I'm into photography anyway so what I've read about the Pixels camera was the main selling point for me.
Even though I'm currently on iOS I actually use the Google Photos iOS app and prefer it to Apple photos anyway.

Many thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it arriving.

A good screen protector and case are on the shopping list to order today now 👍

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a suggestion for initial OS updates. Boot the device, just do a "dummy" setup without your account linked and do any available OS updates (likely 8.1 and update to the Feb. patch). Once that's done, do a factory reset and do your full setup. This avoids the potential "lag" that some people see with doing an OS update on a configured device, when there is often a factory reset suggested to resolve.

I did this with mine.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I have always had black phones but am kind of digging the Black/White, but I’m not sure about having a white phone!

Please let us know how your experience is with the 2XL! I’m hoping to get mine in a few weeks maybe sooner, and want all the input I can get!

Thanks!!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, first off, pat yourself on the back for getting one of the best Android phones ever!

Also, be sure to adjust the sensitivity of the Google Assistant squeeze feature to your liking. Some will like a lighter activation, whereas others will prefer some pressure on the sides to activate it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As my Pixel 2 XL is arriving today I was wondering is there nothing I should specifically do from the get go regarding setting up/settings etc. It’s been a while since being on Android so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Number 1 thing you must do .... enjoy it like I have )

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what this means?

When you're entering new contacts into the Contacts app of any Android phone, you might have a few different accounts that the contacts can be added to. The best account (in my opinion) is your Google account, because those contacts will then be synced automatically to your Google Contacts in the cloud. Many phones also have a Phone account or Device account, which is only local -- so any contact you add to that account only gets saved to the phone, and doesn't get synced anywhere. This is fine if you only want to keep the contact on that phone alone, but since it doesn't sync or backup anywhere automatically, you'd lose that information if something happens to the phone.

Phones from Google (i.e., Nexus and Pixel phones -- and possibly Android One, but I can't be sure about that) don't give you the option to save contacts to a Phone account. The reason I said this is fortunate is because it cuts the risk of a user losing all of their contacts if something happens to the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately, on Pixel/Nexus phones, there is no Phone account option for contacts!:)

For setup, my suggestion is to migrate contacts into your Google account as a step prior to booting an Android phone.

OP's prior device was not an Android phone.