Pixel Launcher

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Nova ... do any of you experience any bugs/glitches when it comes to folders? I'm checking out Nova now .. everything seems great, except folders seem to be kinda buggy ... I'll go back and check a folder and there's apps in there that I didn't put in there (weird stuff). The way I'm building folders is:

Settings > app & widget drawers > drawer groups > folders > + > add apps

Is that the right way to do it?

I just add an app to another app by dragging it out of the drawer...than name the folder and drag my other apps in.

I don't do it much , because I have everything the way I want and restore things if needed to what they were.

Never seen the glitch you mention.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, I'm enjoying the simplicity and fluidity of the Pixel Launcher. I've previously had 3 Motorola phones and 2 Nexus tablets and have used Nova Launcher Prime exclusively on those devices. When I got my Pixel 2, I thought I'd give the stock Pixel Launcher a go and it's working perfectly fine for me. I like the Now Playing and At a Glance features too.

Nova has a lot of nice customization bells and whistles which I liked in my earlier Android days, but I guess I'm going back to the basics now.

One thing I'm not sure about though...with Nova Launcher, you can backup your homescreen settings so if you have to do a factory data reset, it's super easy to restore your launcher settings. I haven't had to do an FDR on my Pixel 2, but I'm thinking if you have to do one, you'll have to re-build your homescreens from scratch. Does anyone know if that's true?
No the restore option will restore your home screen pretty much the way you had it. It may not restore changes you made that day.

Graphixx30

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I would use the Pixel Launcher but I can't stand all the different shaped app icons. It's the only reason I continue to use Nova Prime.

Last edited:

czervik85

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Other than Now Playing, At a Glance, being smoother, austerity and simplicity all mentioned above, are there other advantages to using the pixel launcher over nova prime?

I've been using alternative launchers since I switched to adw from sense on my then new HTC Evo 4g. Been using Nova for years now on various phones and tablets.

With any new device I always give the stock launcher a chance. After almost 2 weeks with the pixel launcher this is the longest I've lasted before switching.

scorpiori

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
As far as I know the rootless pixel launcher won't work on the Pixel without Magisk (last I checked with the dev anyway). Weird I know but it's due to restrictions placed by Google.

You right about that. Didn't know that.

Another option is 'lawnchair' , but if so , I suggest the last APK from APK mirror and not the one from play store.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Or just set up Nova to resemble the pixel launcher. Then use the icons you would prefer. At a glance still works, but I don't use now playing so not sure about that.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
To be honest, I dislike Nova. there's something to be said for simple and light. Nova isn't too complex but I dislike that a lot of digging and time is needed to get it to fit my own tastes. Pixel works the way I want right out of the box.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried Pixel launcher but it is missing some must have features, for example, the ability to resize widgets - unless I just missed how to do that with the Pixel Launcher.

The beauty of Nova is you can move to phone to phone, brand to brand and make your phone look and work pretty much the same.

As far as Pixel Launcher being smoother, I did not notice that. Nova is perfectly smooth as it was on the 3 year old phone it replaced.

Once you get it set the way you want, remember to save your settings to the cloud or to your PC hard drive so you don't have to figure out everything you like again.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried Pixel launcher but it is missing some must have features, for example, the ability to resize widgets - unless I just missed how to do that with the Pixel Launcher.

The beauty of Nova is you can move to phone to phone, brand to brand and make your phone look and work pretty much the same.

As far as Pixel Launcher being smoother, I did not notice that. Nova is perfectly smooth as it was on the 3 year old phone it replaced.

Once you get it set the way you want, remember to save your settings to the cloud or to your PC hard drive so you don't have to figure out everything you like again.

I very much agree. Whenever I get a new phone I try the stock launcher for a while, but always go back to my Nova Prime where I can do everything I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge