Samsung S9 question for Pixel 2/2Xl owners

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Now, I know that I'm asking this question in the Pixel 2 forum. I'm the proud owner of the Pixel 2Xl 🐼. I really like this phone. It does everything smoothly and just works. I feel the camera is great as well. However, there have been a couple of times were the camera has disappointed me. They we're mostly incidents when I was in a semi-lite to dark club. My wife owns an iPhone 7 and always uses my phone for photos when we are out.

I always buy a new phone 1-2 times a year. She never likes when I do that but she said to me that I should go back to Samsung. I switched from the S8+ to the Pixel 2 XL. I switched for constant updates.

However, I would not mind a smaller phone with similar screen real estate like the XL. I had wished the smaller pixel was more screen than bezel. I tried that for the two weeks and returned it to keep the XL.

The S9 will come with possibly 6gb of ram and a camera that will offer some great features. I going to try it when it's released and make a decision before the return period.

Is anyone else interested in what Samsung is setting up to release. Please keep the touch whiz talk to a minimum.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the small S9 has very similar specs to the Pixel 2 other than the SOC. That leads me to believe that the Pixel camera will still be better, performance will still be better, obviously software will be, as with security, os updates, security updates, storage options, etc. Apparently the S9+ may have 6 GB RAM and adequate storage, but that won't be enough to overcome the downfalls for me so I'm likely to pass on the S9 and keep my eyes on what the Note 9 might be.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well we have to wait and see what the S9 offers and the first reviews to come out to get some sort of idea how the phone is.

It could be better than the Pixel 2/2XL in every respect (which it should be, it's a new flagship phone with better hardware).

I guess you have to determine what you would like in a smartphone and if the S9 ticks more boxes than the Pixel 2 XL, then go for it. I too would like a smaller phone than the Pixel 2 XL and this year I think I'll go with the Pixel 3 rather than the 3 XL model. the 2 XL is just too big for single-handed use for me.

I'm not particularly interested in the Galaxy S9/S9+ for a few reasons (UI, performance, updates, photo/video backup etc), but I think wait for the phone to come out and see what the reviews are like before you make a decision.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well we have to wait and see what the S9 offers and the first reviews to come out to get some sort of idea how the phone is.

It could be better than the Pixel 2/2XL in every respect (which it should be, it's a new flagship phone with better hardware).

I guess you have to determine what you would like in a smartphone and if the S9 ticks more boxes than the Pixel 2 XL, then go for it. I too would like a smaller phone than the Pixel 2 XL and this year I think I'll go with the Pixel 3 rather than the 3 XL model. the 2 XL is just too big for single-handed use for me.

I'm not particularly interested in the Galaxy S9/S9+ for a few reasons (UI, performance, updates, photo/video backup etc), but I think wait for the phone to come out and see what the reviews are like before you make a decision.

I agree with most of this except the, "which it should be" in the second paragraph. From what little information is available, there's nothing to indicate any better hardware on any aspect except for the SOC.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of this except the, "which it should be" in the second paragraph. From what little information is available, there's nothing to indicate any better hardware on any aspect except for the SOC.

Well I'll go out on a limb here and say the Galaxy S9+ will have:

- Better screen (not very hard to accomplish, the S8/Note 8 screen is substantially better than the Pixel 2XL screen)
- Better processor (Snapdragon 845 vs 835)
- Better camera (at least in hardware, as in it'll be a newer camera module)
- Better water resistance (ip68 vs ip67)
- 3.5mm jack (vs none)
- MicroSD slot (vs none)
- More ram (6gb vs 4gb)
- Aesthetically appealing design and higher end feel (subjective, but to me the Galaxy phones look and feel better than the Pixel 2 phones)

Now those things may or may not appeal to you, but they should all combine to be a 'better' phone in terms of hardware than the Pixel 2/2XL. Software is a different discussion and is far more subjective, but I don't think it's controversial to say that the Galaxy S9/S9+ will have decidedly better hardware.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I'll go out on a limb here and say the Galaxy S9+ will have:

- Better screen (not very hard to accomplish, the S8/Note 8 screen is substantially better than the Pixel 2XL screen)
- Better processor (Snapdragon 845 vs 835)
- Better camera (at least in hardware, as in it'll be a newer camera module)
- Better water resistance (ip68 vs ip67)
- 3.5mm jack (vs none)
- MicroSD slot (vs none)
- More ram (6gb vs 4gb)
- Aesthetically appealing design and higher end feel (subjective, but to me the Galaxy phones look and feel better than the Pixel 2 phones)

Now those things may or may not appeal to you, but they should all combine to be a 'better' phone in terms of hardware than the Pixel 2/2XL. Software is a different discussion and is far more subjective, but I don't think it's controversial to say that the Galaxy S9/S9+ will have decidedly better hardware.

Perhaps. 1, 3, 5, 6 & 7 seem unclear. As an example, the pixel 2 XL is almost twice as accurate as the note 8, which is better than the s8. The s9 is being rumored to have 4 GB ram with the s9+ having 6 GB. Lots to see when they actually announce it, for now it seems way too similar to be able to just call it now.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps. 1, 3, 5, 6 & 7 seem unclear. As an example, the pixel 2 XL is almost twice as accurate as the note 8, which is better than the s8. The s9 is being rumored to have 4 GB ram with the s9+ having 6 GB. Lots to see when they actually announce it, for now it seems way too similar to be able to just call it now.

I don't think 1 is debatable. If calibration is your only argument, then the Galaxy phones have multiple screen settings you can set the screen to. You want 'accurate' colours, set it to the RGB setting and it's bang on accurate. You want more pop, turn it to the saturated colours. Plus it doesn't have the grain, as bad burn in, black crush or black smear like the LG OLED panel does and the S8/Note 8 screens got much brighter which made it better for use in sunlight. The screen is quite a bit better than the Pixel 2XL screen in every respect.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think 1 is debatable. If calibration is your only argument, then the Galaxy phones have multiple screen settings you can set the screen to. You want 'accurate' colours, set it to the RGB setting and it's bang on accurate. You want more pop, turn it to the saturated colours. Plus it doesn't have the grain, as bad burn in, black crush or black smear like the LG OLED panel does and the S8/Note 8 screens got much brighter which made it better for use in sunlight. The screen is quite a bit better than the Pixel 2XL screen in every respect.
Ok, we have different standards, no worries

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, we have different standards, no worries

Not sure what the different standards are. The Note 8 has the full 100% DCI-P3, Adobe RGB and sRGB colour gamut settings, so not sure how the Pixel 2 is somehow 'almost twice as accurate' when the Samsung phones have the same (and more) settings available. Toggle to your preference.

Then on top of that, you get a much brighter screen and you don't get the grain, black crush, black smear that the Pixel 2 XL has. You just get a better screen.

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
You should already know what is important to you. Fast current updates. Clean simple software. Customer support. I went to the Samsung side for 4 months it was not a bad experience. But Stock Android for me just hits the sweet spot. Updates and clean ui. Beats features and hardware for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I swap a lot .. I have the past few years. From Samsung, LG, Apple, Pixel, etc. etc.

This year I plan to stick with my Pixel 2 XL until at least the Pixel 3 or something. Need to simma down on the changing :p.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I swap a lot .. I have the past few years. From Samsung, LG, Apple, Pixel, etc. etc.

This year I plan to stick with my Pixel 2 XL until at least the Pixel 3 or something. Need to simma down on the changing :p.
I used to swap a lot. Wasn't uncommon for me to got though 4 or 5 phones a year, but when the Pixel came out, that changed it all for me. It's software and experience was so far ahead of other android phones, it was the first time i stuck with a phone for a whole year without swapping to the Pixel 2XL and I'll be doing that again this year until the Pixel 3 is released.

I did have a Note 8 for a little while, but that was between P2XL's due to trying to replace my P2XL with new stock being on a delay, but if it weren't for that, it would have been a Pixel 2XL for a whole year as well.

Looking forward to he Pixel 3/XL. I hope with the HTC deal closing, Google really knock it out of the park with the P3 this year (particularly with sourcing a better, non-LG screen) and have nicer, more HTC-influenced hardware design.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used to swap a lot. Wasn't uncommon for me to got though 4 or 5 phones a year, but when the Pixel came out, that changed it all for me. It's software and experience was so far ahead of other android phones, it was the first time i stuck with a phone for a whole year without swapping to the Pixel 2XL and I'll be doing that again this year until the Pixel 3 is released.

I did have a Note 8 for a little while, but that was between P2XL's due to trying to replace my P2XL with new stock being on a delay, but if it weren't for that, it would have been a Pixel 2XL for a whole year as well.

Looking forward to he Pixel 3/XL. I hope with the HTC deal closing, Google really knock it out of the park with the P3 this year (particularly with sourcing a better, non-LG screen) and have nicer, more HTC-influenced hardware design.

Yeah I believe the software + camera will keep me here. I always go to Samsung and I do like their phones but then I hate not getting security / bug fixes. I know some in the Samsung world don't care but I prefer them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the different standards are. The Note 8 has the full 100% DCI-P3, Adobe RGB and sRGB colour gamut settings, so not sure how the Pixel 2 is somehow 'almost twice as accurate' when the Samsung phones have the same (and more) settings available. Toggle to your preference.

Then on top of that, you get a much brighter screen and you don't get the grain, black crush, black smear that the Pixel 2 XL has. You just get a better screen.

Delta+e in the note 8 is .51, in the pixel 2 XL it is .26. Both have >= 100% sRGB and DCI-P3 coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36