Samsung S9 question for Pixel 2/2Xl owners

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in your sources.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl-xda-display-analysis/amp/
The link I posted says the Note is more accurate with better delta e scores than the Pixel 2 XL.

"The Pixel 2 XL's display scored 0.26 on the Delta-E error test (0 is perfect), and the Pixel 2 hit 0.29." https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-review,review-4755.html

I'm curious why those two measurements are so far apart.

Note 8 at .5: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-note-8,review-4643.html

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious why those two measurements are so far apart.

That's gonna be difficult since the links you posted doesn't seem to have a detailed explanation of how they conducted their tests. Unless you have a link to that?

Overall it's probably the methodology of conducting the tests.

Too bad Displaymate doesn't do the Pixel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's gonna be difficult since the links you posted doesn't seem to have a detailed explanation of how they conducted their tests. Unless you have a link to that?

Overall it's probably the methodology of conducting the tests.

Too bad Displaymate doesn't do the Pixel.

too bad anandtech stopped doing smartphones - displaymate does GREAT testing, but does horrible analysis and frequently publishes commentary that is fairly inaccurate. They also don't give us the detailed results of their tests, they just show the charts.

Agree it's probably methodology, however in this case I'm going to assume Tom's guide is more accurate because of two things: 1) grayscale accuracy, we have one saying it is amazingly accurate on gray-scale and another saying it is way off. Both can't be true. Secondly, the % of the sRGB gamut covered. XDA shows it as 92.3% while Tom's shows it at 130%. We know from Google that on both sRGB and DCI-P3 that the Pixel 2 XL covers >= 100% on both. Therefore a reading of 92.3% is suspect and is contradicted by other known data points.

Additionally, the .8 that they assign to the Note 8 is not only bad, it's worse than the ratings achieved by the iPhone 7 series, a fact that would make displaymate's claim that, at the time of release (before the iPhone X), the Note 8 was the best OLED on the market. Now displaymate was incorrect on that, because the S8+ was actually more accurate than the Note 8, but they weren't 60% off the mark.

The most accurate displays of which I'm aware include #1 iPhone X at .24, big jumble for #2 LG V30, iPhone 8, iPhone 8+, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2 (.25 to .27), then the S8+ right on their heels at .28, then at #3 the Note 8 where I've seen .49, .50 and .51.

Now the kicker is... all of those that are Note 8 and better - humans can't tell the difference in the accuracy, so it's a fairly moot point.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
too bad anandtech stopped doing smartphones - displaymate does GREAT testing, but does horrible analysis and frequently publishes commentary that is fairly inaccurate. They also don't give us the detailed results of their tests, they just show the charts.

Agree it's probably methodology, however in this case I'm going to assume Tom's guide is more accurate because of two things: 1) grayscale accuracy, we have one saying it is amazingly accurate on gray-scale and another saying it is way off. Both can't be true. Secondly, the % of the sRGB gamut covered. XDA shows it as 92.3% while Tom's shows it at 130%. We know from Google that on both sRGB and DCI-P3 that the Pixel 2 XL covers >= 100% on both. Therefore a reading of 92.3% is suspect and is contradicted by other known data points.

Additionally, the .8 that they assign to the Note 8 is not only bad, it's worse than the ratings achieved by the iPhone 7 series, a fact that would make displaymate's claim that, at the time of release (before the iPhone X), the Note 8 was the best OLED on the market. Now displaymate was incorrect on that, because the S8+ was actually more accurate than the Note 8, but they weren't 60% off the mark.

The most accurate displays of which I'm aware include #1 iPhone X at .24, big jumble for #2 LG V30, iPhone 8, iPhone 8+, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2 (.25 to .27), then the S8+ right on their heels at .28, then at #3 the Note 8 where I've seen .49, .50 and .51.

Now the kicker is... all of those that are Note 8 and better - humans can't tell the difference in the accuracy, so it's a fairly moot point.
I can't remember numbers but I remember seeing the tests when the S8 came out that the S7 Edge actually had a more accurate screen in terms of color reproduction.

Oh well, personally I don't really care either way since the differences at this end of the smartphone market is negligible for me.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Some grow tired of waiting 6-8 months to get an OS update from Samsung so that is the One big reason I swapped to the Pixel 2 XL. I owned the S8 and can say I was not impressed as it continuously would reinstall apps that I deleted not the ones I disabled.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've never experienced this so called lagfest on Samsung through 7 years, but I've been using Exynos versions, not Snapdragons.

My last Samsung phone was an S3 and I really liked that device. I still have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 that I use for books and comics. My Tab S is really laggy and slow. My S3 started slowing down after a 1.5 years but so has every other phone I've had, including my all-time-favorite Moto X 2013. The worst slowdown, lagfest dumpster fire phone I ever had was a Nexus 6P...running vanilla Android. So it's not just the software. That Huawei device just sucked.

I'm not a Samsung defender or apologist. I hate the look and feel of their interpretation of the Android experience, back then and today. Tasteless and ugly, IMO. Also, as a big user of Google apps, I don't like having Samsung duplicates of many of the Google apps.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
My last Samsung phone was an S3 and I really liked that device. I still have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 that I use for books and comics. My Tab S is really laggy and slow. My S3 started slowing down after a 1.5 years but so has every other phone I've had, including my all-time-favorite Moto X 2013. The worst slowdown, lagfest dumpster fire phone I ever had was a Nexus 6P...running vanilla Android. So it's not just the software. That Huawei device just sucked.

I'm not a Samsung defender or apologist. I hate the look and feel of their interpretation of the Android experience, back then and today. Tasteless and ugly, IMO. Also, as a big user of Google apps, I don't like having Samsung duplicates of many of the Google apps.
Probably depends on what we use it for. The only times I've felt my device is slow is after I've handled a newer faster one.

Glen2018

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I have the S8 but I wish it was the Pixel II. The only thing Samsung has over the competition is the beautiful display. Granted the display is an important part of the device, but there is too much needless stuff. I never use the edge apps so that adds no value. The finger print reader causes frustration unless you know what to do to refresh it. Mystery open apps are chronic problems with no solution yet. I bought it because it was so popular and the price in my area was much better than the Pixel. Next time I upgrade it will be to a Pixel.

SteMag64

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I think that they (S) are maybe going in the wrong way in the camera-department.
I mean, selfie-emojis? who is it for?
I (maybe prejudice?) think that it is for young people who often can´t afford a high end smart phone?

These gimmicks are maybe better suited for mid-range phones?

For me (using a Note 8) the camera in a higt end phone like S9 and S9+ should be all about photo-quality, best low-light performance, fast capturing and sharp pictures.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I rest my case. Samsung once again halts the release of OREO. Their answer? Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, too bad deal with it.
They have great phones but their OS release times are horrible.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Now I'm on a Pixel (2), I'm never going back.

Unless it's to a killer Sony phone that matches the fast updates and they finally fix their camera woes.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I rest my case. Samsung once again halts the release of OREO. Their answer? Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, too bad deal with it.
They have great phones but their OS release times are horrible.
Definitely don't buy anything other than Pixel or iPhone if updates are priority. No OEM outside these two will be able to keep up with both regular security and respective platform updates.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Samsung would have to start straightening out the edges of their screens for me to ever go back. Subjectively I like Samsung's colour calibration though. Looks like Samsung might have fixed the fingerprint scanner location. But those curved screens are horrible for typing, accidental touches, and surviving drops.

The new camera hardware on the S9/+ looks really interesting. Samsung has gotten cameras right for a while now. I hope they hit it out of the park as I like to see the industry move forward.

But I have quickly gotten used to the 5th of the month being Update Day. Google would have to seriously mess up their hardware for me to give it up now that I'm used to playing with new OS updates.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Samsung would have to start straightening out the edges of their screens for me to ever go back. Subjectively I like Samsung's colour calibration though. Looks like Samsung might have fixed the fingerprint scanner location. But those curved screens are horrible for typing, accidental touches, and surviving drops.

The new camera hardware on the S9/+ looks really interesting. Samsung has gotten cameras right for a while now. I hope they hit it out of the park as I like to see the industry move forward.

But I have quickly gotten used to the 5th of the month being Update Day. Google would have to seriously mess up their hardware for me to give it up now that I'm used to playing with new OS updates.

Well the Pixel 2 XL's screen isn't the flattest. lol
My biggest gripe is lack of decent screen protectors

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463