Gmail issues

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have issues with receiving email in a timely manner using Gmail? Sometimes I'll get email right away, but most times it doesn't seem to be "pushing" immediately like it should. For example, I refreshed the app this morning and 830a, and an email came in that was postmarked from 330a. It's like I have to manually fetch the mail myself. A lot of times I won't receive an email from someone until hours after they've sent it.

I've been all through the Gmail settings, and I can't find anything having to do with "push", mail fetching behavior, etc.

Is this typical of Gmail, or could there be some other issue in my settings?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Check in your settings and make sure that Gmail has not been set to optimize under battery settings. If it has you can whitelist is as “not optimized” and see if that corrects your email delivery issues.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Check in your settings and make sure that Gmail has not been set to optimize under battery settings. If it has you can whitelist is as “not optimized” and see if that corrects your email delivery issues.

Ok, just changed it to "Don't optimize". We'll see if that makes a difference. I hope I'm not going to kill my battery in the process, though ...

Thanks!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, just changed it to "Don't optimize". We'll see if that makes a difference. I hope I'm not going to kill my battery in the process, though ...

Thanks!

That’s how I have mine set since getting the phone and I don’t have any issues with receiving emails (I have three email accounts in the Gmail app) and haven’t had any battery issues as a result. YMMV

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I refreshed the app this morning and 830a, and an email came in that was postmarked from 330a.
I've noticed that when my phone is asleep overnight it doesn't seem to show much activity but as soon as I pick it up in the morning suddenly there'll be several notifications that are shown. It doesn't bother me since I wasn't going to pay attention to any of that stuff at night anyway (I have DND turned on so that I don't get woken up by folks inconsiderate enough to message me at all hours of the night) but perhaps something similar is happening on your device.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that when my phone is asleep overnight it doesn't seem to show much activity but as soon as I pick it up in the morning suddenly there'll be several notifications that are shown. It doesn't bother me since I wasn't going to pay attention to any of that stuff at night anyway (I have DND turned on so that I don't get woken up by folks inconsiderate enough to message me at all hours of the night) but perhaps something similar is happening on your device.

You know, this may very well be the culprit. I think if you have Gmail set to "optimize" for battery life, it won't fetch new mail when the phone is either asleep or you have DND turned on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance