Thinking of going from Note 8 to Pixel 2 XL

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
They are both great. I prefer the pixel but they are both flagships and what you need is not advice just to make up your own mind.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
That is what is keeping me from jumping to a Pixel XL, I literally use Samssung Pay EVERYDAY, places where I know Android Pay is not accepted. Wireless charging, meh, it's nice but I could do without it if need be. I think I would miss the screen too, the screen on the Note is awesome. Yet, I can't keep from snooping around the Pixel XL forum, lol

I have a gear S3 for Samsung Pay, so I use that most of the time.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a gear S3 for Samsung Pay, so I use that most of the time.
I have the same. Been using it since Christmas and Samsung Pay works really well. I haven't tried to redeem any points yet, but I definitely accumulate them with every purchase.

Brian Drummond

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
I came from Pixal to the note 8. The newest pixal. I would have keep it but I like the sdcard. If you don't need or want the sdcard I would have definitely kept the pixel hope this helps

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Can you still accumulate points and redeem them?? I've heard mixed things about that.

You still accumulate points but the options to redeem them are hugely reduced to about 5 cash back prizes and a bunch of other Gift cards. I didn't know about it until I realized that this all began when I switched to the Essential Phone first and then the Pixel 2 XL, so I looked around and read that Samsung just remove some good redemption offers just because you are not using it with an a Samsung Phone.

After that I just decided to get rid of the watch too and got 2 Android Wear watches (LG Watch Style to dress and a Ticwatch S for more casual and fitness) for about the same total I sold the Gear S3 Frontier for, I've been a happy pure Android since then, to me it's almost unbelievable to even think this but I think that my Galaxy S8+ will be my last Samsung device for a long time, if not ever. Pure Pixel from now on.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
it's almost unbelievable to even think this but I think that my Galaxy S8+ will be my last Samsung device for a long time, if not ever. Pure Pixel from now on.

What changed your mind on Sammy? You've been a proponent of their work in some previous posts I've read, I believe.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
What changed your mind on Sammy? You've been a proponent of their work in some previous posts I've read, I believe.

I too have had every note since the note 2 but since using the p2xl I feel like I'll be staying with stock Android for a while..

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You still accumulate points but the options to redeem them are hugely reduced to about 5 cash back prizes and a bunch of other Gift cards. I didn't know about it until I realized that this all began when I switched to the Essential Phone first and then the Pixel 2 XL, so I looked around and read that Samsung just remove some good redemption offers just because you are not using it with an a Samsung Phone.

After that I just decided to get rid of the watch too and got 2 Android Wear watches (LG Watch Style to dress and a Ticwatch S for more casual and fitness) for about the same total I sold the Gear S3 Frontier for, I've been a happy pure Android since then, to me it's almost unbelievable to even think this but I think that my Galaxy S8+ will be my last Samsung device for a long time, if not ever. Pure Pixel from now on.

You could always buy a cheap old Sammy phone and use it on Wifi to redeem points...LOL

I still have my Note 8, have not sold it yet, not sure if I will. So I can just use that.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You could always buy a cheap old Sammy phone and use it on Wifi to redeem points...LOL

I still have my Note 8, have not sold it yet, not sure if I will. So I can just use that.

That's not it, I still have my Galaxy S8+ and even if I open Samsung Pay from it, it still brings the limited options to redeem, it's as if they are somehow separating the points you collected with a Samsung phone and the ones that were not, I'm just guessing that all those points I accumulated since using the Essential phone area just counted for the limited ones, but if I begin using my S8 again I may collect again the missing points for the next regular redemption options, if you understand what I mean.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I've always had Samsung phones and have praised them most of the time, but I've also had most of the rest of OEM flagships from the past several years, from all the rest of OEMs Samsung have always been the leader of the pack for me and I have grown to appreciate everything they have brought to the table.

But, once the Pixel was released in 2016 I knew that finally Google was getting serious in the Hardware game and was going to be very hard to beat if they managed to do some better job for the Pixel 2 design, I just think that even when it's not the best design out there, Pixel 2 XL check most of the features I look on a phone and the pluses of having the best performance phone, the best camera and the latest software updates the same day they are available outweighs anything that any other brand can bring to the table right now. For me until Samsung finds a way to make updates a priority and give the millions of their clients at least the security patches on a reliable schedule they will always be missing a great and valid point and they are one of the biggest guilty party on the huge Android fragmentation.

It's not that Samsung make bad phones, they are great and gorgeous phones, but to people like me, once you use a great phone like the Pixels, the rest of the bunch must do something more extraordinary than what they are currently offering for us to even consider switching bank to them. So nothing but Pixels from now on, at least for a while. I finally found the one great phone to keep for at least a year.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
erasat, when clicking on your avatar, it says you're still using a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. You might want to change that. :)

Last edited: