How good is the Pixel 2 xl?

Kyzrwulf

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 6. The battery has gone (again) and I am stuck with an aftermarket battery that gets worryingly hot when charging. I've been told that I will have to wait over a month if I want Apple to replace it.

I am genuinely thinking about putting another aftermarket battery in it and selling it on. (I apologise to the next owner).

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 8, but I can see no difference to the 7 or even my 6. I can't afford the X. Because of this, I'm thinking about moving to android and buying the Pixel 2 xl, but all of my other tech is Apple and not compatible.

Is it worth moving to android?

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I think it is; there's a lot of YouTube videos on the subject. I switched from iPhone to Android years ago and never looked back

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Most of the people here will tell you yes, but it does sound like you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, and beyond just iMessages and apps. If you own other Apple products, and use them enough to be inconvenienced when you can't, I would say it's not worth it.

However, if you're willing to make the switch to Android, there are equivalent and cheaper devices and accessories that can do the job of your Apple products. Ultimately the decision is up to you, but having switched from iPhone myself, I can tell you that it was worth it for me.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think it depends on what you mean by "all my other tech". How much "other tech" are we talking about? I use a Mac but run Android for my phone (Pixel 2 XL) and tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3). I have a Chromecast (and a Chromecast Audio) for broadcasting content where I imagine you have an AppleTV?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you wouldn't rather buy the Pixel 2 and spend the difference on 128GB of storage? (I'm still getting used to Android 8.1, but the phone seems to be pretty good [if a bit expensive - I kept my last one for over 4 years so I'm still feeling "sticker shock".)

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You see no difference between the iPhone 6,7 and 8 ?
Granted external differences are minor (except the 8 which is all glass) but each is certainly internal upgrade from the other.
Also, you can’t afford the X but can afford a Pixel 2 XL ??
I’m not trying to sway you one way or the other but it sounds like you just want something totally new and different. :)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Granted external differences are minor (except the 8 which is all glass) but each is certainly internal upgrade from the other.
I’m not trying to sway you one way or the other but it sounds like you just want something totally new and different. :)
As far as I can tell the X is about 200USD more expensive than the Pixel. Heck the smaller iPhone 8 is like 200USD more expensive than the smaller S8 where I live.

The internal differences may be the same but I guess he's more interested in the experience though, so you may be right in that regard..

As for the OP, I agree with Rukbat where it depends on the 'other tech'. The only tech I know of that's completely incompatible with Android is one that uses something proprietary from Apple.

Also keep in mind the fact that you lose iMessage and will have to pay for Android versions of apps you already bought on Apple because purchased licenses don't carry over.

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have had many phones. Currently I have the Pixel 2 XL as my primary, I used to have the iPhone X and decided to go Pixel as the iPhone hasn't really changed much in the last 4-5 years. A couple new things here and there but google has been constantly making changes and adding new things. Google Assistant is one of my favorite features and I use a google home mini at home as well as a pair of chromecasts. I see no desire to go back to iOS and if I do want to use it I have an iPad. I find the android ecosystem is a lot better especially if using a pure android device like the Pixel. I also have been lucky and haven't had issues that some users have had. Since I got my phone just after Christmas I have converted many people over to the Pixel just because of how the phone works and how powerful the device is

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

Let's try to remain polite and constructive. While you may not agree or understand a person's motivation for doing something, simply pointing it out without addressing their questions is counter productive and condescending.

Let's all be helpful here.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I can't afford the X. Because of this, I'm thinking about moving to android and buying the Pixel 2 xl, but all of my other tech is Apple and not compatible.

Is it worth moving to android?

The different of the X and the Pixel 2 XL can be only $150. I would go the X route.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it is worth the switch and the Pixel 2 XL is amazing; but as other users have said, if you are really invested in Apple products, you may want to stick with that platform. I've heard good things about the iPhone 8. Let us know what you decide! :)

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
my wife has an 8 Plus and i have a 2 XL.... I have never envied her phone in anyway. Maybe iMessage is cool but thats about it. Ive had 2 iPhones (4s and 5s) in my life, a note 4, and a regular pixel XL...

the Pixel 2 XL is the best phone i have had

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
OP, IMO I think you should look at getting another iPhone. When you say all your "other tech is Apple", I'm taking that to mean at least 2 other devices. Which means you're probably fairly solid in the ecosystem, unless you use a lot of third party apps.

Now, there ARE people who have an Android phone and everything else Apple, so it can be done successfully. Just give some thought about how your tech set up will work for your lifestyle.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO Pixel 2 XL is the best device on the market with the latest gen iPhones being in 2nd, 3rd and 5th place (4th I have Pixel 2 smaller version). I wouldn't really call it an upgrade over the iPhone X and barely an upgrade over the iPhone 8+. Based on your other comments I agree with others here that it's probably worth sticking with iOS unless you're really seeking a change.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, stick with iOS.

Because you mentioned that you own some other Apple products, it's generally assumed that you're pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem.

Android phones don't typically play ball with Apple gear, and vice versa. So it's probably better to stick with the iPhone.

The 8 is absolutely wonderful. It may have a design that's put of 2014, but the device underneath that shell is great. Of course, the X is great too, but that depends on whether you can get used to the gesture interface, FaceID and the OLED display.

However, if you are itching to go to Team Android, then the 2 XL is a great choice.