What is this icon?

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting an icon I haven't seen before. It looks like a quarter of a circle with the left half filled and the bottom of the icon has a small x in it. What is it?

Randy

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like the Data saver icon. You can disable/enable this feature in the quick settings panel or in settings - data usage.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It has something to do with phone and wifi, because when it shows up, I can't get either. It's located in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This is a Pixel 2xl phone on Fi.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It has something to do with phone and wifi, because when it shows up, I can't get either. It's located in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This is a Pixel 2xl phone on Fi.
Can you post a screenshot? This is the data saver icon that I mentioned.

IMG_20180219_233524.jpg

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Go to settings. Go to Network & Internet. You should see WiFi, Mobile Network, Data Usage and so on. Tap Data Usage. Under usage you will see something called Data Saver. If its on (blue dot) it will show a circle with a + sign in the middle. Tap off and the circle will go away.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't do a screen shot because it only appears when I go to a movie theater, a hospital or some other big building. It looks like above screen shot . The pie shaped one, second from the left. It is that symbol split vertically. White on the left side, black on the right. Just the right of the base there is a small "x"

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So.. the pie-shaped icon indicates WiFi connectivity. If you're connected to a hotspot that does not require you to enter a password to connect but does require you to accept terms (captive portal), you'll get that little x at the base to indicate there is no internet connection. If you pull down your notification shade you should see a notification indicating that there's something you need to do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't do a screen shot because it only appears when I go to a movie theater, a hospital or some other big building. It looks like above screen shot . The pie shaped one, second from the left. It is that symbol split vertically. White on the left side, black on the right. Just the right of the base there is a small "x"
That means it's on the wifi network in the area but no internet is detected on that wifi. It could be an issue with the wifi network or it could require a login.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't do a screen shot because it only appears when I go to a movie theater, a hospital or some other big building.

The ability to take a screenshot has nothing to do with location or network connectivity state.

Just press power and volume down to capture a screenshot.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's odd that the icon would be white on the left and dark on the right unless it was the cellular signal (triangle). Weaker WiFi reception would be the quarter circle icon, but with the bottom white and top part gray.

Definitely try getting a screenshot next time you see it, but for now same thing applies (swipe down from the top and see if there's a notification asking you to sign in to a network)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@randyjaco is this the icon, between the bluetooth and 3G icons? I snagged this while in my grocery store, the store has a captive portal on the wireless network. I was only there for a few minutes so I didn't bother accepting the terms (I also neglected to snag the notification prompting for said login, sorry).

Screenshot_20180221-172045-01.jpeg

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
@randyjaco is this the icon, between the bluetooth and 3G icons? I snagged this while in my grocery store, the store has a captive portal on the wireless network. I was only there for a few minutes so I didn't bother accepting the terms (I also neglected to snag the notification prompting for said login, sorry).

View attachment 279516

Yes that is it. Does it have a name and directions on what to do when you see it? I searched all over the Web for that icon.
Randy

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is it. Does it have a name and directions on what to do when you see it? I searched all over the Web for that icon.
Randy

It means it is connected to the wifi network but no internet or a sign in page is required.

If a sign page is required you should be able to go to the wifi settings and select the network to go to their login page.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Randy
As Almeuit said. The only difference is that if you need to sign in the network you'll get the symbol with the interrogation mark on the left of my screenshot.

8400aa203580901305370c72332310a6.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1