shattered screen

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So for last Week I have been sick and was pumping gas on wed and was on my phone when I started having a coughing fit and next minute I know my phone is slowly falling from my hand landed on it front glass and then had the audacity to flip once on it back and turn so I could see the screen shattered 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. Thankfully I purchased the accident protection from Google so 99 dollars later and they sent me my replacement. Now it was supposed to be here next latest by Friday didn't come in until today so I was going to call and ***** but when I opened the box they sent a brand new pixel XL 2 so woohoo. But what was really interesting was that when they were replacing it they called it a HTC pixel XL 2.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Great story with a happy ending!
Your story makes me feel good that I too purchased the $99 insurance with my Google Store purchase of my Pixel 2 XL 128.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah definitely worth it and I also still have a family insurance plan with att not really sure how that would work they said they do cover my phone but not sure where they would get it from

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Forget the fact that it's illegal and not trying to tell you what to do, but are you aware of how dangerous it is to pump gas while on a cellphone? Glad you're getting your phone fixed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That is correct they go through asurion but I mean do they have the pixel xl 2 hmm

I see what you you are saying....I'm sure they stock them for Verizon but question is would they issue one. In your case you have the Google insurance so it's sort of irrelevant.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I see what you you are saying....I'm sure they stock them for Verizon but question is would they issue one. In your case you have the Google insurance so it's sort of irrelevant.
Didn't even think about the Verizon one I just called the cheaper place I think asurion wanted like 150 for the deductible

ILowry82

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Forget the fact that it's illegal and not trying to tell you what to do, but are you aware of how dangerous it is to pump gas while on a cellphone? Glad you're getting your phone fixed.
I don't know where you live, but in California its not illegal. Plus the gas pumps exploding due to cell phone usage is an old wives tale that isn't true. They even proved it wrong on an episode of Mythbusters. How about you just stick to the topic at hand rather than berate someone next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRJkde7iHo

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where you live, but in California its not illegal. Plus the gas pumps exploding due to cell phone usage is an old wives tale that isn't true. They even proved it wrong on an episode of Mythbusters. How about you just stick to the topic at hand rather than berate someone next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRJkde7iHo

It's not an old wives tale....though rare, its been documented and I wasn't berating anyone. It was mentioned in the post so it's not off topic.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
So for last Week I have been sick and was pumping gas on wed and was on my phone when I started having a coughing fit and next minute I know my phone is slowly falling from my hand landed on it front glass and then had the audacity to flip once on it back and turn so I could see the screen shattered 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. Thankfully I purchased the accident protection from Google so 99 dollars later and they sent me my replacement. Now it was supposed to be here next latest by Friday didn't come in until today so I was going to call and ***** but when I opened the box they sent a brand new pixel XL 2 so woohoo. But what was really interesting was that when they were replacing it they called it a HTC pixel XL 2.

Are you talking about the preferred care? I just paid $129 for it about 2 weeks ago.. did they send you a full replacement device or did they just repair the screen?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about the preferred care? I just paid $129 for it about 2 weeks ago.. did they send you a full replacement device or did they just repair the screen?

He said brand new from what I can tell. Google seems to send brand new devices for just about everything.....even normal warranty issues. Not sure what happens a year and half into the warranty for defects but I'm quite impressed so far.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
He said brand new from what I can tell. Google seems to send brand new devices for just about everything.....even normal warranty issues. Not sure what happens a year and half into the warranty for defects but I'm quite impressed so far.

That's pretty cool, I thought I would've had to take it to a ubreakifix here in NYC in the event something like that happened as I believe they're an authorized repair center for google. Obviously a new replacement device is always better.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes preferred care that is what I went through but It was just $99 no taxes and they sent me out a new one. But they did say I was going to get a refurbished but luckily I didn't. I also had the choice of of getting it repaired but it was too long of drive.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes preferred care that is what I went through but It was just $99 no taxes and they sent me out a new one. But they did say I was going to get a refurbished but luckily I didn't. I also had the choice of of getting it repaired but it was too long of drive.

Was there a deductible?

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

Yes I believe $99 is the deductible, I've yet to use it but purchased the preferred care when I purchased the device two weeks ago for $129.

To my understanding Google isn't sending out refurbs yet for their pixel 2 devices.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes I believe $99 is the deductible, I've yet to use it but purchased the preferred care when I purchased the device two weeks ago for $129.

To my understanding Google isn't sending out refurbs yet for their pixel 2 devices.
Oh you mean how much I payed the services yes 129. To me well worth it and they extended for 2 years I'm good

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh you mean how much I payed the services yes 129. To me well worth it and they extended for 2 years I'm good

It's still a good deal, however the Pixel 2s normal warranty was extended to two years shortly after release. I was in a hurry when I pre-ordered mine so I didn't get the warranty. Didn't realize I couldn't add it later.