Good Read -- "The iPhone, the Pixel, and the tragic anxiety of having to choose"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17029324/iphone-x-pixel-2-xl-apple-google-choice-anxiety

Vlad wrote a pretty good article since he is torn between both devices.

I agree with him on notifications. That is my one biggest gripe about iOS -- is the notifications. If that was fixed I can honestly say that iOS would be a usable daily driver for me (such as the iPhone X). I still love my Pixel 2 XL don't get me wrong .. But if anything was holding me back from iPhone it is notifications. I could live w/ the few things I couldn't do on iPhone that I am used to on Android.

What do you guys think?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
As someone who owns both the Pixel 2 XL (for now) and the iPhone X, I can understand his frustrations. My dad passed away last month and I'm choosing to stick with the iPhone just because I have thousands of iMessages from my dad (yes, I could transfer them to Android, but I don't want to) and he used iPhone for years so I feel a kind of a connection with him using the X.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
This was a terrific read and feels like it was written for me. Been using an X and Pixel 2 and just can not decide for these exact same reasons he states. I know its a first world problem but my god does he nail it with this: "One man's decent into madness born out of having too many options"

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17029324/iphone-x-pixel-2-xl-apple-google-choice-anxiety

Vlad wrote a pretty good article since he is torn between both devices.

I agree with him on notifications. That is my one biggest gripe about iOS -- is the notifications. If that was fixed I can honestly say that iOS would be a usable daily driver for me (such as the iPhone X). I still love my Pixel 2 XL don't get me wrong .. But if anything was holding me back from iPhone it is notifications. I could live w/ the few things I couldn't do on iPhone that I am used to on Android.

What do you guys think?

Notifications don't impact me either way. IOS is just too locked down for me as a daily driver. As a second phone for work it's OK. One thing I can't agree with on the author is comparing the Pixel to a mid-range DSLR. I get that it is the best camera out there and I'm absolutely impressed. It's getting harder for me to justify bringing a camera with me these days but there is still a big difference.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As someone who owns both the Pixel 2 XL (for now) and the iPhone X, I can understand his frustrations. My dad passed away last month and I'm choosing to stick with the iPhone just because I have thousands of iMessages from my dad (yes, I could transfer them to Android, but I don't want to) and he used iPhone for years so I feel a kind of a connection with him using the X.

Sorry for your loss

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Notifications don't impact me either way. IOS is just too locked down for me as a daily driver. As a second phone for work it's OK. One thing I can't agree with on the author is comparing the Pixel to a mid-range DSLR. I get that it is the best camera out there and I'm absolutely impressed. It's getting harder for me to justify bringing a camera with me these days but there is still a big difference.

Notifications didn't bother me as much as I thought they would either. Maybe it is because I am one of those anti-social media people that deleted Facebook and refuses to touch Instagram or Snapchat. Not using so many services cuts down on notifications a bit, but I still understand. I use GroupMe to keep chats going with friends and if I don't check it after a while, it really lights up my iPhone screen. But I can't call it a deal breaker.

My favorite thing about the iPhone X is the gestures - I now hate having navigation keys. Feels so 2017 haha.

My favorite thing about the Pixel 2 is the camera. The X's camera was just fine though.

My least favorite thing about the iPhone X is the cost + how fragile it feels. It does seem more like a piece of expensive jewelry than a phone sometimes.

My least favorite thing about the Pixel 2 is the ridiculous bezels - something I could avoid if I went with the XL but then I am using a gigantic phone, which would then be my least favorite thing about that.

Decisions, decisions...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Notifications didn't bother me as much as I thought they would either. Maybe it is because I am one of those anti-social media people that deleted Facebook and refuses to touch Instagram or Snapchat. Not using so many services cuts down on notifications a bit, but I still understand. I use GroupMe to keep chats going with friends and if I don't check it after a while, it really lights up my iPhone screen. But I can't call it a deal breaker.

My favorite thing about the iPhone X is the gestures - I now hate having navigation keys. Feels so 2017 haha.

My favorite thing about the Pixel 2 is the camera. The X's camera was just fine though.

My least favorite thing about the iPhone X is the cost + how fragile it feels. It does seem more like a piece of expensive jewelry than a phone sometimes.

My least favorite thing about the Pixel 2 is the ridiculous bezels - something I could avoid if I went with the XL but then I am using a gigantic phone, which would then be my least favorite thing about that.

Decisions, decisions...

I prefer the size of the 2XL. It would be nice if the XL had less bezel and more screen but it does have two speakers.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I prefer the size of the 2XL. It would be nice if the XL had less bezel and more screen but it does have two speakers.

I guess I could give it a try and send it back if I find it is too unwieldy. I am basing my assumption that since I didn't like the 6P because it was too tall, that I won't be liking the 2XL for the same reason.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I just dislike Apple because of the majority of their fans. Just so blind to what else is out there, even if the other stuff would serve them better.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I just dislike Apple because of the majority of their fans. Just so blind to what else is out there, even if the other stuff would serve them better.

Almost all of my family (except for me and a niece and nephew) all use iPhones, and while they are aware of the other phones, they really feel like Apple products do serve them well. To be honest, and based on how I see them use their devices, it actually does. They like simple and streamlined products that work together across their tablets, computers, speakers, car, etc. iPhone has them won over, and truthfully, I see no reason to try and change their mind because I do think they are using the right product for them. I know the word is beaten to death, but the ecosystem is what keeps them there.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess I could give it a try and send it back if I find it is too unwieldy. I am basing my assumption that since I didn't like the 6P because it was too tall, that I won't be liking the 2XL for the same reason.

Spend some time with it in a store....although sometimes that may not be enough or the security device may get in the way.

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I've gone back and forth across os's a few times...and from my times with the Nexus 5 and now my pixel 2...stock Android is the best option by far in my opinion

MathieuLLF

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I jump back and forth often enough, but no matter what, I keep coming back to Android. I'll just upgrade to the newest Pixel each year and be happy that way.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This was a fantastic read. My interpretation is that both devices have compelling positives and neither can be declared an absolute "winner" or "leader", that title has to be 100% a user/buyer decision. Sure - iOS devotees will declare the iPhone contender the winner while Android devotees will say the Pixel is the winner, but in the end they're both winners.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
stock Android is the best option by far in my opinion

Don't open THAT can of worms! There was actually a great article written the other day on that topic. It was on another Android news site, maybe I'll dig it back up and see if I'll be allowed to post it for discussion in the forums...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
maybe I'll dig it back up and see if I'll be allowed to post it for discussion in the forums...

You can post any news link on the forums. We have never restricted links from outside sources -- Hell the link from my OP isn't AC ;).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In 2018, you're buying into ecosystems.

If you're posting here, you're likely all-in with Google.

One great thing about Google's ecosystem is that you can still have a wonderful Google experience on iOS.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One great thing about Google's ecosystem is that you can still have a wonderful Google experience on iOS.

Very true. When I mess around with iPhones I can still use all my Google Services without any craziness or work-arounds :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user