So this wireless charging "thing"...

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
So I've been wanting to discuss this for a lil bit ... For the life of me I can't understand why some users consider the lack of wireless charging a detractor for the Pixel brand. "Wireless charging" is still wired to the wall and the device has to be stationary just like it was plugged in. Also, the phone can't really be used and charging at the same time with "wireless charging".

So WHY is that feature considered a "thing" for some people?

prestigiouswireless

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
So I've been wanting to discuss this for a lil bit ... For the life of me I can't understand why some users consider the lack of wireless charging a detractor for the Pixel brand. "Wireless charging" is still wired to the wall and the device has to be stationary just like it was plugged in. Also, the phone can't really be used and charging at the same time with "wireless charging".

Because you don’t have to **** with the USB port and the plug

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Because you don’t have to **** with the USB port and the plug

I mean, I guess... But "fast/quick charging" is a more attractive feature to me instead of "wireless". How long does it really take to even plug the phone in vs "wireless" and that slow method? Is anyone that swears by that feature even saving any meaningful time?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

For me, it's the convenience. Excellent for bed time. Plop it down and forget it.

Also, if you go from a phone that has it to one that does it, the loss of a feature will trigger some to call the one without it inferior.

prestigiouswireless

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
I mean, I guess... But "fast/quick charging" is a more attractive feature to me instead of "wireless". How long does it really take to even plug the phone in vs "wireless" and that slow method? Is anyone that swears by that feature even saving any meaningful time?

A few seconds but you run the chance of being less likely to damage your port or usb cable. My wife went through 10 cables in less than a year because she can’t stick it in the hole

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

To you.

Trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish with this. Based on your tone, it's not like anyone is going to convince you that it's a useful feature.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
To you.

Trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish with this. Based on your tone, it's not like anyone is going to convince you that it's a useful feature.

I'm trying to figure why it's a thing.. Why is it attractive?... What's the benefit? ... Many posters have said that because the Pixel doesn't have wireless charging that it's a "no go" for them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to figure why it's a thing.. Why is it attractive?... What's the benefit? ... Many posters have said that because the Pixel doesn't have wireless charging that it's a "no go" for them.

People are giving reasons on why they like wireless charging.

But you're just going to dismiss them.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Huh? There was a single reply on this thread before you accused me of dismissing their take, which I don't feel like I did...
Well here are advantages I know of/encountered:

1. Some restaurants are already putting wireless charger mats on their tables. Since a lot of the phones are splash resistant anyway, this makes it convenient that you leave the place with a fully charged phone.

2. For people whose job requires them to be always on the move in a building. It's easier to plop the phone down and it will just charge, then just grab it when you have to run out.

3. It's less likely for you to encounter the 'you forgot to charge' part too. Think of it like your phone's special seat. Let's say you got home tired from work then an hour later you remember you have dinner with your SO's family in about 30min. You forgot to plug in your phone. So you're running low. But if you're used to having your phone have a special wireless charging seat, that's less likely. In connection to the first point of wireless chargers in restaurants starting to appear, even if you still forget, if the restaurant you go to has the mats, you're still good.

4. It's tidier than having a loose wire lying around for cats or dogs.

5. Fast Wireless Charging is a thing. It's not really THAT fast. It's close to a regular wired non fast charging, but its serviceable. If you're in a real hurry, just unplug the wireless charger and plug the phone directly. It doesn't lose that feature.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

1. Just drop the phone on it at bedtime. Done. No messing with wires. The Pixel's USB-C connector makes the wire connection very easy, however, with the old style plug in a dark room it was a hassle to fumble around trying to see which way the plug end was oriented.

2. Why can't you use the phone while it's charging? I've done this several times with my Tylt wireless charger with both my old Droid Turbo and my tablet.

That said, the Pixel not having wireless charging is a minor inconvenience, not a deal breaker. I wish it had it but I'm not pining away for it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Well here are advantages I know of/encountered:

1. Some restaurants are already putting wireless charger mats on their tables. Since a lot of the phones are splash resistant anyway, this makes it convenient that you leave the place with a fully charged phone.

2. For people whose job requires them to be always on the move in a building. It's easier to plop the phone down and it will just charge, then just grab it when you have to run out.

3. It's less likely for you to encounter the 'you forgot to charge' part too. Think of it like your phone's special seat. Let's say you got home tired from work then an hour later you remember you have dinner with your SO's family in about 30min. You forgot to plug in your phone. So you're running low. But if you're used to having your phone have a special wireless charging seat, that's less likely. In connection to the first point of wireless chargers in restaurants starting to appear, even if you still forget, if the restaurant you go to has the mats, you're still good.

4. It's tidier than having a loose wire lying around for cats or dogs.

5. Fast Wireless Charging is a thing. It's not really THAT fast. It's close to a regular wired non fast charging, but its serviceable. If you're in a real hurry, just unplug the wireless charger and plug the phone directly. It doesn't lose that feature.

1. I can see that. I've encountered that in a couple of coffee shops locally.

2. So this would be for a significant amount of time, yes? 30 mins+?

3. This I can see. In a rush... Put phone on charging dock and hop in the shower type thing.

4. Train your house pet better, maybe? :D

5. In this scenario, the user would unplug from the charging station and plug that end directly to the phone or would this be something separate?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
1. Just drop the phone on it at bedtime. Done. No messing with wires. The Pixel's USB-C connector makes the wire connection very easy, however, with the old style plug in a dark room it was a hassle to fumble around trying to see which way the plug end was oriented.

2. Why can't you use the phone while it's charging? I've done this several times with my Tylt wireless charger with both my old Droid Turbo and my tablet.

That said, the Pixel not having wireless charging is a minor inconvenience, not a deal breaker. I wish it had it but I'm not pining away for it.

On point 2, wouldn't that mean the phone would have to leave the charging dock to say make a phone call or something?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. I can see that. I've encountered that in a couple of coffee shops locally.

2. So this would be for a significant amount of time, yes? 30 mins+?

3. This I can see. In a rush... Put phone on charging dock and hop in the shower type thing.

4. Train your house pet better, maybe? :D

5. In this scenario, the user would unplug from the charging station and plug that end directly to the phone or would this be something separate?
2. Not sure what you're asking. Could you clarify?

4. Haha. That's not easy. Lol.

5. Not sure what wireless chargers you've encountered, but all that I've seen use the same chargers as phones. A good example is the Samsung wireless charger. It plugs to the wall via the same charger you use for your phone. So if you need a really fast charge for some reason, you can plug the cord directly to the phone if needed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I had a phone with wireless charging when it first came out. I swore it would be a deal breaker for my next purchase but it hasn't been.
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned it's not really wireless charging as in power transmitted wirelessly over a distance. That's coming soon from what I hear.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
2. Not sure what you're asking. Could you clarify?

4. Haha. That's not easy. Lol.

5. Not sure what wireless chargers you've encountered, but all that I've seen use the same chargers as phones. A good example is the Samsung wireless charger. It plugs to the wall via the same charger you use for your phone. So if you need a really fast charge for some reason, you can plug the cord directly to the phone if needed.

Indeed. On 2, I read your example as someone who needs maybe a "top off" on their battery. With the speed of wireless charging, the time would need to be something north of 30 ins to have any significant impact on the power level of the battery is my thought. So maybe a meeting or something where they wouldn't necessarily need the phone vs. say 10 or 15 mins.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I had a phone with wireless charging when it first came out. I swore it would be a deal breaker for my next purchase but it hasn't been.
Honestly, as far as I'm concerned it's not really wireless charging as in power transmitted wirelessly over a distance. That's coming soon from what I hear.

This would interesting to me more, I think ... Then again, loose electricity in the "air"?? Maybe some concerns.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The benefit I see is the unification of charging method across multiple platforms. It’s nice that Apple recently adopted it and I do wish that my Pixel XL had it. There are cars now that are coming with charging pads - the convenience of just plopping the phone down in a phone tray while driving and it getting charged wirelessly is fantastic. Keeps the car clean of any wires just as having wireless pads or furniture in the house would.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The benefit I see is the unification of charging method across multiple platforms. It’s nice that Apple recently adopted it and I do wish that my Pixel XL had it. There are cars now that are coming with charging pads - the convenience of just plopping the phone down in a phone tray while driving and it getting charged wirelessly is fantastic. Keeps the car clean of any wires just as having wireless pads or furniture in the house would.

They are not unified....most are but not all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy