Moved to iOS

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
After a long time trying various phones including blackberry, windows and android phones l, I’ve moved back to iOS. Almost 6 years after I moved from iphone.

The new iPhone X is quite nice and wanted to try. Finding my way around with new gestures of iOS. I’m sure I’m gonna find it difficult to do certain things compared to android

Sold my pixel 2 yesterday and got this. Hopefully I keep it for a few months

Will keep you posted on how I like it.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
After a long time trying various phones including blackberry, windows and android phones l, I’ve moved back to iOS. Almost 6 years after I moved from iphone.

The new iPhone X is quite nice and wanted to try. Finding my way around with new gestures of iOS. I’m sure I’m gonna find it difficult to do certain things compared to android

Please keep us posted. I was thinking about this after deciding to switch back from the Pixel XL 2 to the Note, and playing with the X at Best Buy. The X' screen is just gorgeous. Hard to believe that Apple can take a Samsung screen and make it even better, but in my view, they did.

But then I read some of the comments on the AC article which postulated that the differences between Android and iOS are shrinking so much that the two are almost indiscernible these days, and was reminded about all the things that drove me crazy with iOS, like the inability to really switch to my keyboard of choice for everything, because iOS forces the default keyboard for some apps or system settings, the way notifications are (not) grouped, and the icons all being aligned to the top. Still, last time I tried an iPhone (7 Plus), it made up for some of those things and had a lot that I liked too.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Please keep us posted. I was thinking about this after deciding to switch back from the Pixel XL 2 to the Note, and playing with the X at Best Buy. The X' screen is just gorgeous. Hard to believe that Apple can take a Samsung screen and make it even better, but in my view, they did.

But then I read some of the comments on the AC article which postulated that the differences between Android and iOS are shrinking so much that the two are almost indiscernible these days, and was reminded about all the things that drove me crazy with iOS, like the inability to really switch to my keyboard of choice for everything, because iOS forces the default keyboard for some apps or system settings, the way notifications are (not) grouped, and the icons all being aligned to the top. Still, last time I tried an iPhone (7 Plus), it made up for some of those things and had a lot that I liked too.

You’re correct about notifications . I actually thought iOS notifications are better. But not for the group messages in Whatsapp. If you’ve lot of messages they aren’t grouped together like android. That’s nuts

But the other notifications such as email are much better. They swale up the screen and stay on so I can actually read the contents of email without unlocking the phone. Somehow I never liked that in android it just woke up and went blank again.

So far I already miss google news feed. The Apple news feed is ok but I still don’t know whether I can customize it the way I want. Need to play around
Other than that I find the default keyboard quite good. I’m typing at the same speed as android.
I always liked iOS mail better than any android app. So that’s good so far
I already know the pixel 2 camera is better. But haven’t used the camera much so far
The feel of iPhone X is so much better. About the right size. I found pixel 2 too narrow and pixel 2 XL too big.
Will add more comments as I used the phone more.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
So far I already miss google news feed. The Apple news feed is ok but I still don’t know whether I can customize it the way I want. Need to play around

You can always get the google app to still access your personalized google feed, and grab the google assistant app as well. Siri is ok for when you want to ask it something without touching your phone, but otherwise, the google assistant is better in all other cases.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Good Luck with your device.... Don't be a stranger

Last edited:

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
But the other notifications such as email are much better. They swale up the screen and stay on so I can actually read the contents of email without unlocking the phone. Somehow I never liked that in android it just woke up and went blank again.

Interesting. Samsung's text and email notifications stay there too, as does the Nine Email client if configured to do so. Nine is the best Exchange mobile client in my experience.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Good luck with it! Definitely let us know how it goes!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Good luck! I'll be following your adventures. Keep us posted.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Good luck. I have the Pixel 2 XL and the Note8. I tried the iPhone X for almost a month and a half. It is a cool device but after awhile iOS gets boring, notifications are a mess, I miss widgets, inability to arrange icons, no true live wallpaper, Siri stinks, notification light, AOD and user experience.

I want to enjoy my device, with an iPhone it just doesn't do it for me. I feel like I miss news or tweets or emails when on the iPhone. Every year I give it a shot and every year it is the same. For me it is disappointing. The hardware is great, nice screen, solid camera and iMessage. So my wife has the X now and loves it. Great for her not for me.

Not to poke the flames but it boggles my mind how little the OS has changed over the years. I get it people love it but so much is missing.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
iOS is a bloated mess if you ask me. I can not believe how many options and settings are buried into its "general" tab. Android is much cleaner and more streamlined.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Good luck. I have the Pixel 2 XL and the Note8. I tried the iPhone X for almost a month and a half. It is a cool device but after awhile iOS gets boring, notifications are a mess, I miss widgets, inability to arrange icons, no true live wallpaper, Siri stinks, notification light, AOD and user experience.

I want to enjoy my device, with an iPhone it just doesn't do it for me. I feel like I miss news or tweets or emails when on the iPhone. Every year I give it a shot and every year it is the same. For me it is disappointing. The hardware is great, nice screen, solid camera and iMessage. So my wife has the X now and loves it. Great for her not for me.

Not to poke the flames but it boggles my mind how little the OS has changed over the years. I get it people love it but so much is missing.

Agree to all your comments
But even with android I felt it’s clumsy and it’s not as polished as iOS or Windows ui. I actually love windows mobile OS.
I hope I don’t end up like you - get bored with iPhone X after a few weeks. I’ve switched about a dozen phones in the last year and a half.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

That’s how I was with the Nexus phones. Whenever one would come out I would buy and try to use it for two weeks but couldn’t even make it 3 days before running back to my iPhone and returning the phone.

I’ve just come to terms that Android isn’t for me anymore and I really can’t use it now since I love my Watch so much.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've only had two iPhones, a six and a 7. I liked them both especially the seven. however, after a short while I do get bored with the locked down OS. if Apple ever unlocks and relaxes some of the customization features I may try it again. The pixel is the smoothest best battery life Android phone I've ever had. Smoothness and battery life are two features the iPhone always excelled at. now that pixel has me covered my iPhone sits in a drawer as a backup device. I did check out the X out of curiosity but found it was still the same old locked down system. Meh, not for me anymore.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Agree to all your comments
But even with android I felt it’s clumsy and it’s not as polished as iOS or Windows ui. I actually love windows mobile OS.
I hope I don’t end up like you - get bored with iPhone X after a few weeks. I’ve switched about a dozen phones in the last year and a half.

Ha, I have the same expensive habit.

Like someone else mentioned, I get the clumsy feel in iOS from the settings prospective. Its not very efficient or easy to use as the basic iOS tasks are.

Too bad Windows mobile will never get the app support. It's too late in the game. I like Windows too the possibilities were there with the saturation of PC's and they blew it.

I foresee you coming back. If you've had all those devices recently iOS won't make you happy. Lol. I hope it does for your wallets sake.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ha, I have the same expensive habit.

Like someone else mentioned, I get the clumsy feel in iOS from the settings prospective. Its not very efficient or easy to use as the basic iOS tasks are.

Too bad Windows mobile will never get the app support. It's too late in the game. I like Windows too the possibilities were there with the saturation of PC's and they blew it.

I foresee you coming back. If you've had all those devices recently iOS won't make you happy. Lol. I hope it does for your wallets sake.

Idk about that...a lot of people who leave Android for iOS usually stick to it. I did say a lot, so there are people who go back to android. I was an iPhone user then android then iPhone and tried to go to the pixel 2 but returned to my iPhone X. To me iOS is just so cohesive (iMessage and FaceTime) and the form factor of the X is like no other device. The OLED screen is quite impressive and yeah iOS may be boring but the phone is pretty stellar. I think once android users who switch see how well iOS performs, they then start using the saying “it just works!”