Someone at CNN is also a Pixel fanboy lol...

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Came across in my Google app...

Think twice before buying Samsung's new smartphone

https://search.app.goo.gl/BkA8

Shared from my Google feed

The author suggests consumers check out the Pixel 2 or P2XL instead of pre-ordering the S9...will any of you be jumping ship or staying put?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Their entire premise is "if you like updates, the S9 is still not going to get them quickly". Makes sense. People who want the latest and greatest should never be considering anything that's not Google or Apple. That's not a fanboy attitude, it's just a perspective most of the market doesn't care about.

The second idea, that Samsung is more secure than stock, is somewhat laughable. It's entirely based on the inability to unlock the bootloader and presence of KNOX, however ignores the hardware and software security differences between the two. As an example, you cannot unlock the bootloader on the Verizon versions of the Pixel 2, etc. and most of the features of KNOX are found in stock Marshmallow, Nougat and Oreo - yet there are security features of Nougat and Oreo that are still not present in the S8 or Note 8. The S9 I don't know if they have caught up yet, but the most important thing about the S9 is that, unless Samsung is going to guarantee 3 years of security updates within 48 hours of public release, and as long as they allow app installation from the Samsung App Store, they will always be intentionally leaving their customers at risk.

I will definitely not be getting the S9, though I am very curious about it's camera - everything else about it is essentially more of the same.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I left Samsung phones behind some time ago. I still have a newer tablet but am now seeing it having issues, freeze ups etc. No more Samsung for me of any kind after this.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I tried the S7 and really didn't care for it. Though I use a Samsung at home for TV and the Gear Sport, I am not impressed by the S9. It's a half heartdly S8 with some small upgrades. I'm staying with my trusted Pixel 2. If the Pixel 3 looks exciting I may upgrade.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung makes some great devices. I am not arguing that point at all. But, they really need to step up on updating devices. Hopefully, Treble will help out with this. I get the networks want to ensure nothing is wrong with updates, but that shouldn't hinder security updates.