09-27-2018 09:07 PM
47 12
tools
    My Pixel 2 XL filled up with photos and videos while I was traveling and roaming (I didn’t realize that I had to specifically enable back up while roaming, in addition to backup over data) and when it was too full, all apps started crashing and when I restarted it because it became unresponsive it got stuck on the boot screen. I tried waiting over night, etc.

My suspicion is that this problem is because there is not enough space to write and copy certain files required during boot. This suspicion was corroborated by a technician by a service Google support recommended to me. But that technician did not know what to do and it appears he has to do the same research I have to do.

I asked the question on Google support forum and the only answer was that there may be a way to avoid factory reset by “side loading an OTA update”. Can someone tell me more about this option and how to do it and how safe it is (in terms of not erasing my data)?

Alternatively, are there any other things I could try?
    02-28-2018 08:58 PM
    I've never heard of a phone not booting because of little memory left... Not saying it's impossible just never heard that one.
    Can you try to get it into Safe Mode if you haven't already tried?
    02-28-2018 09:09 PM
    Do you mean Recovery mode? I tried that by pressing the volume down button while booting, then selecting Recovery. There is a dead droid appearing, then multiple options become available after pressing volume up and power again. One option is factory reset, which is exactly what I’m trying to avoid because it erases all data.

I’m pretty sure that it has to do with the phone being absolutely full. There was no storage left, all apps started crashing, I could not erase files fast enough before apps started crashing again and again.

I just don’t want to loose those photos and videos. Unless the OS erased data on the device (for which there is NO reason to believe), there must be a way to access these media but there is ZERO information about this on the internet.
    02-28-2018 09:25 PM
    Safe mode will do a boot without loading anything other than what is absolutely necessary.

1. Press and hold the physical START button on the side of the Pixel.
    2. When the menu comes up that says "Power Off" and "Restart" tap and hold "Restart".
    3. A dialog box will appear describing safe mode. Press OK.

Hopefully there will now be enough memory for you to recover.
    02-28-2018 10:33 PM
    Do you mean Recovery mode? I tried that by pressing the volume down button while booting, then selecting Recovery. There is a dead droid appearing, then multiple options become available after pressing volume up and power again. One option is factory reset, which is exactly what I’m trying to avoid because it erases all data.

I’m pretty sure that it has to do with the phone being absolutely full. There was no storage left, all apps started crashing, I could not erase files fast enough before apps started crashing again and again.

I just don’t want to loose those photos and videos. Unless the OS erased data on the device (for which there is NO reason to believe), there must be a way to access these media but there is ZERO information about this on the internet.
    No...safe mode as described by TraderGary
    02-28-2018 11:01 PM
    2. When the menu comes up that says "Power Off" and "Restart" tap and hold "Restart".
    Sadly that menu doesn't come up for me when I press and hold the power button on the side of the pixel. I think that's only the case when one presses and holds the power button while the phone is on and one is logged in, but I can't get it to that state.
    02-28-2018 11:30 PM
    Have you tried a USB connection to your PC?
    02-28-2018 11:45 PM
    Have you tried a USB connection to your PC?
    Yes, Android File Transfer on my Mac does not see the device. My best guess is that one needs to be logged in on the phone for the phone's file system to be visible from the Mac.

I could cry right now. And I'm also so puzzled because if the files are still on the phone, how can it be that one can't somehow take them off? Rip out the physical memory, hook it up to a computer, provide the pass code, done? Someone in the world, possibly at Google, must be able to do this. I'd pay more than the price of the phone to get there...
    03-01-2018 12:02 AM
    When talking to Google have you asked for the highest level of support? Try asking for a manager and tell him/her your situation.
    quietlybrilliant likes this.
    03-01-2018 12:28 AM
    Have you fully charged your phone as it will charge when off?
    03-01-2018 12:30 AM
    I'm also so puzzled because if the files are still on the phone, how can it be that one can't somehow take them off?
    The filesystem is encrypted - unless the device boots to the point where you can enter your PIN/Password/Pattern to unlock it you aren't getting access to any of the files on the device. No one else, including Google, is going to be able to access it either (not without a warrant anyway).

When the device is booting it needs to copy files from ROM to storage, along with creating temporary files for use during the session. If you have filled storage to the point where that can't happen then bad things start occurring: device slowdown, apps crashing and finally OS failure. You should have received warnings that your device was getting full.
    03-01-2018 01:00 AM
    Why can’t Google access it if I give them my PIN?

Alternatively, why can’t I enter it when using another method to access the data, not relying on the working phone?

I don’t understand how the data are tied to the hardware, but I do understand how they are tied to my PIN.
    03-01-2018 01:09 AM
    Why can’t Google access it if I give them my PIN?

Alternatively, why can’t I enter it when using another method to access the data, not relying on the working phone?

I don’t understand how the data are tied to the hardware, but I do understand how they are tied to my PIN.
    If you're referring to your unlock pin that is only to get into your phone from the lock screen.
    03-01-2018 04:57 AM
    OK so the consensus is that there is no way to access the data on my phone, even when they're still intact? It just seems preposterous to me.
    03-02-2018 04:45 PM
    Were you able to get in touch with Google highest level support? I'd want to hear what they say. Don't settle for the first level who only know how to read to you what it says on their support sheets for standard problems.
    03-02-2018 04:51 PM
    I wonder what would happen if you got a replacement and then tried to load the data to the new phone?
    03-02-2018 04:53 PM
    OK so the consensus is that there is no way to access the data on my phone, even when they're still intact? It just seems preposterous to me.
    I know it's frustrating but as indicated by others before the data is encrypted and if you can't get past boot up nothing is recognized anyway.
    03-02-2018 06:15 PM
    I wonder what would happen if you got a replacement and then tried to load the data to the new phone?
    If that could be done we wouldn't have to wait for a new phone. We could just load it onto a PC. As a simple explanation, the problem is nothing is recognized until it gets past the boot up stage.
    03-02-2018 06:17 PM
    You're right. It's a Catch 22. He first has to be able to boot.
    03-02-2018 06:30 PM
    The only thought I have is that you have made certain it is fully charged?
    03-02-2018 06:33 PM
    The only thought I have is that you have made certain it is fully charged?
    Yes. But the guy at the UbreakIFix (Google's recommended service center) says they would want to rule out power and corrosion issues by trying to replace the battery and looking for water damage (and repairing it if they find it). There were signs of water damage a week before the phone went into the boot loop (or rather "stuck boot screen"), after it got a little water on it: it would shut down or reboot whenever I plugged in a USB cord. This went away a few days before the problem above happened, but there could still be a relation.
    03-02-2018 06:55 PM
    Why not try letting it sit for a day on the supplied Google charger?
    03-02-2018 08:46 PM
    Assuming the worst, download the current version of taimen here. (That's the factory version of the firmware on the phone - straight from Google's site.) Modify the file flash-all.sh to eliminate the -w (it's only in one place - it should still be the last line). Then just run the file (you might have to give it execute permissions - it's been a long time since I ran a Mac) and it will reinstall Android without wiping your data (the -w - which you deleted - means "wipe").

If that doesn't get the phone working, there's a hardware problem (and unfortunately, there's no way to recover your files if there is). It's why I take "water resistant" with more than just a few grains of salt. If I have the phone when it starts raining I have a few seconds to get it under cover, but I still treat it as if it were rated IP00. (The last waterproof phone was a Nextel - and as far as I'm concerned, until they come up with that kind of construction [and the battery was removable too], none of my phones gets wet if I can help it - not even steam from the shower.)
    03-03-2018 03:50 PM
    A person on reddit suggests this. Do you think it could work?

"Try this.

Turn the phone off

Make sure you have fastboot working on your computer

Press the power button on the phone and then hold down the volume down button until you see fastboot, then hit the volume up button.

Open a terminal window, and type the following

sudo su fastboot erase cache"
    03-03-2018 05:45 PM
    As your phone is a Pixel 2 XL it should still be under warranty. However, if the problem stems from water damage/corrosion, that would not be covered by warranty, and this seems far more likely to be the source of your problem rather than the phone running out of space.

However, recovery is worth a try. If the hardware isn't too corroded, perhaps that might enable you to buy enough time to at least get your photos off your phone. I can't see that you have anything to lose by giving it a shot.

I recommend that you use Techno Bill's guide for applying a Rescue OTA to a Pixel, which does not wipe out your phone's data.
    03-04-2018 06:10 PM
47 12