March Update is out!

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Damnit, just noticed I lost a bunch of contacts after the update. Random, no pattern to it. Why isn't the Google backup putting them back? Anyone else get this?

Nope, still have all my contacts. Have you tried rebooting to see if the contacts return?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine were also synced to my Google account. So I'm at a loss as to what the heck is going on. I'll have to fire up my old iPhone and get the contacts off of that. At least I keep those synced together. Dammit Google!
As for rebooting, yes. I have

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine were also synced to my Google account. So I'm at a loss as to what the heck is going on. I'll have to fire up my old iPhone and get the contacts off of that. At least I keep those synced together. Dammit Google!
As for rebooting, yes. I have

Have you tried to force the Sync ?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately I only have 150 , Arrghh!! I lost at least 10 maybe more. I'll fire up the iPhone later and put them side-by-side and just work it out

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
okay, not sure what's going on here. I restored the contacts I think mostly by using my old HTC Sync from my HTC 10. that was still listed in my file in my Google account even though I had removed it. my phone wouldn't initiate a sync otherwise. I got back a bunch of missing contacts way more than I thought. so that may be fixed. but now I don't see my posts on the Forum using Chrome or the forum app either one. I'm away from my other computer so I'll have to check on that later and see if I can figure something out. going to try some other stuff but the phone is certainly acting funky for some reason.
Edit: ok, I decided to trash my bookmark to The Forum and also offload the forum app and then reload it as well as re establish the bookmark and now things seem to be working as they should. Never had that happen before, whew! I appreciate all your comments and suggestions thanks
Best part was getting my contacts back!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Ah Man, I still have disappearing contacts. Some of the ones I was able to restore are MIA again. And some new ones are missing. Im currently restoring manually using my iPhone, one at a time. If this doesnet work then I dont know.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
That's the way mine was even tho I had joined Google's beta program so I decided to go for the apk file and get the beta that way. Then it downloaded the update right away

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: My disappearing contacts issue is ongoing and very frustrating. I can't keep them it seems. Enter it, Save it, Scroll down the list, scroll back up and it's either gone or the one next to it is now gone. A google resync worked then it didn't work as different ones would disappear.
So I'm about done trying to make it work. I'll be reseting back to factory fresh and hope that takes care of it. Since I began having the issue after installing the March update I hope it's not permanent. We'll see I guess.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-12-2-09-release/

12.2.09 (940-xxxxxxxx)
The one I used is fifth from bottom but some others may work just as well.

No, they would not be likely to work just as well. In fact it's quite possible to run into problems if you pick something that isn't compatible with your phone.

What you have linked to appears to be an older February beta, version 12.2.09 It is certainly not the current beta, which is 12.2.18

I have installed Google Play Services 12.2.17 (940 variant) (not a beta version)

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-12-2-17-release/

The 940 variant was correct for my Pixel XL and Pixel 2 XL, and I have experienced no problems with either phone.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
OK, great, sounds like you know more about it than I do then. 940 is what I have and it works fine. I got it back in February and used it to get the February security update. And it is the beta but in any case sounds like you're all set then.

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: My disappearing contacts issue is ongoing and very frustrating. I can't keep them it seems. Enter it, Save it, Scroll down the list, scroll back up and it's either gone or the one next to it is now gone. A google resync worked then it didn't work as different ones would disappear.
So I'm about done trying to make it work. I'll be reseting back to factory fresh and hope that takes care of it. Since I began having the issue after installing the March update I hope it's not permanent. We'll see I guess.
Hey check your contacts on Google contacts on the web. Look to make sure the missing contacts are listed there. If they are open each one and delete any URL's associated with them like Facebook contact syncs etc. That should restore them to your phone. I had a big issue with the same thing and that fixed them all. Let us know.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey check your contacts on Google contacts on the web. Look to make sure the missing contacts are listed there. If they are open each one and delete any URL's associated with them like Facebook contact syncs etc. That should restore them to your phone. I had a big issue with the same thing and that fixed them all. Let us know.

I'll be doing that, thanks for the tip

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

OK, checked google contacts via the web address and all the missing contacts from the phone are also missing there as well. I reinstalled them "again", about ten.
I'm thinking they go missing from the phone first then the next sync from google and they are deleted from there as well. I put a test contact on the google web site and it immediately synced to the pixel and also vise versa so that is working as it should.
I rebooted both my pixel and tablet I was using and so far they remain. If it continues to happen then it's got to be a bug in my pixel causing it and I may continue monitoring it to see what else goes missing or I'll just bite the bullet and do a fresh reset from scratch.

Side note: I do have my IPhone 7 set up with google apps so my contacts sync to it as well and the test contact synced immediately also. however, the iPhone is not losing contacts like the pixel since it does not sync to google services. I go to it to restore the missing ones LOL. I'm pretty certain the bug is on the pixel and was brought over with the March update. Got everything reset so guess I'll just sit tight for now.

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
That stinks. I'll have to keep a look out when I get the March update. However, keep an eye out for that URL stuff. That fixed mine once I removed all those FB profile links.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
That stinks. I'll have to keep a look out when I get the March update. However, keep an eye out for that URL stuff. That fixed mine once I removed all those FB profile links.

Yeah, since no one else is seeing this that I have heard I don't think it is widespread or anything at all. Could be unrelated to the update but I noticed it the day after , so?
I completely removed myself from facebook a couple of years ago and am really enjoying that freedom. So that's not a concern. I'll repost if I learn anything

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Fingers crossed I think I may have found my issue. Right before I took the update I had gone in to my Zedge app and down loaded a wallpaper. Forgot all about it but soon after my chrome browser started acting weird, got real janky and froze up alot then I got a pop up , one of those bogus ones wanting you to click on something to fix your problem. Closed it out and even cleared the browser cache and it persisted so I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it. Problem solved I thought. Took the update, chrome was acting fine again so thought nothing of it untill the disapearing contacts started happening. Had forgotten about the issue with chrome and was focused on the update being the problem. Yesterday I went in and uninstalled Zedge and all files I had associated with it and so far so good. The contacts are remaining on my phone. The contacts I lost will probably be subjected to spam calls I suppose, hopefully nothing worse.
In any case just thought I'd share. no more Zedge for me. I will be lesss likely to install anything even if it is supposedly google play store approved.
Take the March update, I think it improved my already good battery even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer