Switching from KEYone to Pixel 2 XL

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had been using a blackberry since the Curve 8530 years ago. I switched from a Priv to the Pixel 2 XL a few months ago specifically because I didn't think the undated black edition would come to the US...

Had I known it would have come I would have waited, but I can't say I'm upset with the Pixel. It's just as stable as my old BB10 passport which was nice unlike the laggy mess that was the Priv, and the camera is amazing.

Hope you enjoy your pixel!

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I received my pixel 2 XL today. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly and accurately all my info transferred over from my KEYone to my pixel thanks to the included usb adaptor. I received the phone in the mail at 11:10AM this morning and I had to be gone by 11:30 for school. Popped my sim card out and away I went. Really seamless easy process. Great job there Google!

So it's too soon to tell whether or not I will get used to a vkb again. However, I've noticed a few positives already:

1. Display
I am very happy with the display, even after multiple reviews about blue tint/burn-in. The display is better than my KEYone and larger, so thumbs up there.

2. Auto fill
This is simply awesome. All my passwords for all my apps were remembered! No need to remember all my individual passwords off the top of my head.

3. Speed
Wow is this thing a screamer. Not much more to be said there.

This is still very early for me so i haven't had a chance to be fully integrated with this device yet. One thing i will say on the negative side is that I've had to backspace and correct multiple words already typing this post on glass. Hopefully i improve.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Disappointed that picture in picture with YouTube does not work without a YouTube red subscription! Unfortunately I don't even have that option in Canada.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Day 2 with this device and it's my first day on a full charge. So far so good. One of the KEYone's strengths was battery life for sure; however, the Pixel 2 XL has been nearly on par with my KEYone. Very impressed. I'm just really enjoying the speed of this phone, it's really refreshing.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 with this device and it's my first day on a full charge. So far so good. One of the KEYone's strengths was battery life for sure; however, the Pixel 2 XL has been nearly on par with my KEYone. Very impressed. I'm just really enjoying the speed of this phone, it's really refreshing.

Yes exactly, and you still appreciate the speed and fluidity even months from now! I could never consider going back to those TCL phones. The Hub works really well on the Pixel so you lose nothing

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I received my pixel 2 XL today. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly and accurately all my info transferred over from my KEYone to my pixel thanks to the included usb adaptor. I received the phone in the mail at 11:10AM this morning and I had to be gone by 11:30 for school. Popped my sim card out and away I went. Really seamless easy process. Great job there Google!

So it's too soon to tell whether or not I will get used to a vkb again. However, I've noticed a few positives already:

1. Display
I am very happy with the display, even after multiple reviews about blue tint/burn-in. The display is better than my KEYone and larger, so thumbs up there.

2. Auto fill
This is simply awesome. All my passwords for all my apps were remembered! No need to remember all my individual passwords off the top of my head.

3. Speed
Wow is this thing a screamer. Not much more to be said there.

This is still very early for me so i haven't had a chance to be fully integrated with this device yet. One thing i will say on the negative side is that I've had to backspace and correct multiple words already typing this post on glass. Hopefully i improve.

Glad you're happy with it. What are you doing the K1? Think you'll keep it or sell it?

I've never been a big fan of physical keyboards, but for those that love it, I can see how it'd be hard to switch to software. Are you a tapper or a swiper?

Some good news also, but with a caveat. The Pixel 2 XL is also more secure* than the KEYone both today and both straight out of the box.

*The exception to this is that if you choose to unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 2 XL, then that creates an obvious vulnerability until you relock it.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes exactly, and you still appreciate the speed and fluidity even months from now! I could never consider going back to those TCL phones. The Hub works really well on the Pixel so you lose nothing

I've actually been using the Gmail application. I've been so naive over the years, I thought the Gmail application only worked with Gmail addresses!

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Glad you're happy with it. What are you doing the K1? Think you'll keep it or sell it?

I've never been a big fan of physical keyboards, but for those that love it, I can see how it'd be hard to switch to software. Are you a tapper or a swiper?

Some good news also, but with a caveat. The Pixel 2 XL is also more secure* than the KEYone both today and both straight out of the box.

*The exception to this is that if you choose to unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 2 XL, then that creates an obvious vulnerability until you relock it.

I'm advertising both and selling the one that I get the most value for in return. I'm also considering a Note 8.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm both. With two hands I will naturally tap. But when I'm walking through high traffic areas I'm often using one hand, thus, I will swipe. I actually find swiping to be more accurate somehow!

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm advertising both and selling the one that I get the most value for in return. I'm also considering a Note 8.
Actually, done that also right after the Motion for two weeks before getting the Pixel 2 xl. The Note8 is a great phone but the infamous Samsung lag starts to be felt after a couple of weeks and the battery is about half the SOT to the Pixel.

Way too many Samsung features that complicate ease of use and also harder to hold and carry.

Still a great feature rich phone but I was really impressed when moving to the Pixel. It's a personal choice of preference.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

How is the Pixel 2 XL more secure?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
How is the Pixel 2 XL more secure?

It launched with Oreo, not nougat, is updated to 8.1, receives all the monthly updates and is guaranteed to receive every monthly update for three years.

The KEYone launched on Nougat, does not make use of all of the security features available to Nougat and Oreo and while they do say that they are committed to monthly updates, they have begun being extremely late on those updates. February rolled out either at the end of Feb or beginning of March and afaik March started rolling out on Monday of this week, rather than on the previous Monday when it was released.

TCL is still good enough with their BlackBerry branded products to meet the requirements for Android Enterprise, however those requirements are extremely lax, as they merely require updates at least once every 90 days and be on Nougat or higher, with one planned update from it's launch version.

This might not be exactly right, as I made a chart based on text, but I think it's close:

security tiers.png

Based on these tiers, the Pixel 2 and 2 XL are currently tier 1 devices, while the KEYone is either a 3 or a 4, depending on whether or not they've missed an entire month and released during the following month.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
It launched with Oreo, not nougat, is updated to 8.1, receives all the monthly updates and is guaranteed to receive every monthly update for three years.

The KEYone launched on Nougat, does not make use of all of the security features available to Nougat and Oreo and while they do say that they are committed to monthly updates, they have begun being extremely late on those updates. February rolled out either at the end of Feb or beginning of March and afaik March started rolling out on Monday of this week, rather than on the previous Monday when it was released.

TCL is still good enough with their BlackBerry branded products to meet the requirements for Android Enterprise, however those requirements are extremely lax, as they merely require updates at least once every 90 days and be on Nougat or higher, with one planned update from it's launch version.

This might not be exactly right, as I made a chart based on text, but I think it's close:

View attachment 280767

Based on these tiers, the Pixel 2 and 2 XL are currently tier 1 devices, while the KEYone is either a 3 or a 4, depending on whether or not they've missed an entire month and released during the following month.

Thank you for your detailed response. However, what about
Hardware Root of Trust, Verified Root of Trust and disk encryption on the Keyone?
Not challenging, just asking, as security is important to me.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for your detailed response. However, what about
Hardware Root of Trust, Verified Root of Trust and disk encryption on the Keyone?
Not challenging, just asking, as security is important to me.
I'm out of date on this topic, last time I looked in depth was the dtek50. At that point, it looked like they were features in common with, rather than additional to, the newest version of Android. The primary real differences in favor of TCL were a hardened kernel and the inability of the device to function if the bootloader was somehow unlocked, which the device does prevent. The last is in common with the Verizon pixels, as an example, and I did make a * in the first post - if you unlock your bootloader, you're dismantling a very serious layer of security. I get why Google allows it, but I don't get why most people do it. Most of them aren't devs and don't actually know what additional access it provided to potential ingress threats. Like all of those BS articles about, "3 million Android's at risk!". Most of those vulnerabilities required both physical access to the device with the device already unlocked and having root access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463