Pixel 3: Looking Ahead

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
At the end of the day regardless of design most of us buy the Nexus/ pixel phones for the pure up to date Android software. The design and any extra features are not going to make or break my purchase decision. Just my 2 cents.
Totally agree and at the end of the day I just want a work horse that gets the job done. The glitz and glamour is secondary for me.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
These are all subjective issues I have with the Pixel 2/2XL designs, however this year with the 3/3XL I just want consistentcy from the two phones. I mean, where's the design control here?

Are you buying both devices? I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure how it matters. If you're only getting on or the other, wouldn't just getting the one you like more make sense?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
If it works how it should, I’ll buy the device. I skipped the 2XL this year and went with the iPhone X. I’m not engorged enough into one ecosystem or another so if I like the 3/3XL more than Apples next flagship, I will get it instead.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think dual speakers are here to stay whatever they call them. The notch is off putting for me. So copying apple is the only reason to have it? I hope they don't follow but I suppose that is a false hope. I don't think the pixels are ugly as so many seem to think but still get one. Glass backsides are another negative feature IMO. They break easy and load up with finger grease. I really don't get it. Wireless charging is meh when you only need to charge once a day anyway. In any case I see no reason to upgrade just for the sake of having the latest as long as my P2 is still rocking it. It is a top shelf device right now.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as Google gives a nice trade amount for my 128gb 2xl and tomorrow does another promotion where they give $300 off a pixel, it's a no brainier that I'll get the 3xl. Can't imagine how much better they'll be able to make the camera, but I'm hopeful that the screen will be top of the line.

I have an s9+ ok order, but now that the reviews are out there's a good chance that I'll pass it to my wife instead of my pixel.

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
Hopefully they use there earbud tech. The earbuds on the u11 are fing awesome. They absolutely blow the doors off my ma750's that's the only thing I want them to add. Well that and pls no LG screen the touch registration is horrible

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
To further expound on Mike's comment I'd say external design is only talked about by us forum enthusiasts. My evidence of such is Samsung and Apple, very few changes and most people just stick with brand loyalty more than anything.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully they use there earbud tech. The earbuds on the u11 are fing awesome. They absolutely blow the doors off my ma750's that's the only thing I want them to add. Well that and pls no LG screen the touch registration is horrible

I've heard good things about the earbuds. I love BoomSound, and I'd love to try the buds, but I just can't buy an HTC phone now. Things are too dire for them, and coming off a 6P that Google just killed off for good, I can't count on another dying brand. Plus I'm not a fan of their dim LCD screens. The 6P already has zero visibility in direct sunlight which I hate, and LCD is more power hungry than AMOLED. The HTC U11+ with that huge 3,930 mAh battery probably has similar battery life to the Note 8 with a 3,300 mAh battery, because of the LCD screen.

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
The u11 had better battery life than my s8 note8 and 6p it is on par with my xl2 and I was very unimpressed with the u11 "boom"sound. The xl2 speakers blow it away. And yes those earbuds on the u11 are amazing

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
why would Google buy HTC? the Billion dollar cash they handed to HTC was to hire away all the talent that they wanted. Other than patents, I don't see reason they'd want to buy HTC mobile when they already bought it's guts.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
why would Google buy HTC? the Billion dollar cash they handed to HTC was to hire away all the talent that they wanted. Other than patents, I don't see reason they'd want to buy HTC mobile when they already bought it's guts.

Only if they intend to manufacture which they probably don't.

SAO7

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Dual SIM or hybrid (that's the only reason I don't get the XL, i hate going around with two phones). With what they did with one camera, I would be really curious to see them have two.
And the usual...bigger battery, a slightly better finish. Please no notch!

Mrdouglas

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking they are making the software notch compatible so that others can take advantage of it.
Hope so. I have no interest in a notch, honestly. I might upgrade to such a phone if every manufacturer is doing it... But it's really not my cup of tea.

I'd like to see the new aspect ratio with a minimal (but still existent) bezel on a 5"ish phone. The XL is too big IMO.

More battery would be very nice. Dual cameras would also be nice. Obviously, an 845 processor. Personally, a front facing fingerprint sensor which can turn on and off try screen would be awesome. Miss that the most from my Moto G5 plus.

All of that said, with three phones coming, I'd love to see them nail something with a 650 (upper midrange) series processor, for the budget market. Three phones gives them the opportunity to jump into the g5 plus territory. Ask Moto... That's their bread and butter. It keeps them afloat, I'd think.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it could be possible; and I would love to see that happen, to be honest. Let HTC combine itself with Google and give some of HTC's benefits to the upcoming Pixel 3.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It's too late for Google to do things now that will make a big change to the pixel 3. The pixel 3 is done, or close enough for practical purposes as makes all odds. Prototypes are out, production schedules are being drawn out, resource contracts are being signed and the software teams have the device to continue working on the code for it. Anything that HTC does or doesn't do will not impact the pixel 3. It's getting close to the point in the timeline that it won't impact the pixel 4, as we're about 18 months from the 4's release already.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's too late for Google to do things now that will make a big change to the pixel 3. The pixel 3 is done, or close enough for practical purposes as makes all odds. Prototypes are out, production schedules are being drawn out, resource contracts are being signed and the software teams have the device to continue working on the code for it. Anything that HTC does or doesn't do will not impact the pixel 3. It's getting close to the point in the timeline that it won't impact the pixel 4, as we're about 18 months from the 4's release already.
Excellent point.... What's happening now with HTC won't change what's coming. I do wonder what affect it could have on production if HTC is producing one or more Pixels.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's getting close to the point in the timeline that it won't impact the pixel 4, as we're about 18 months from the 4's release already.

This may be fairly close to being accurate. When Google acquired Moto, it took 2 years to clear out what was in the tunnel before we got the 2013 X.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope they keep the 2XL screen / speaker / lack of notch. I want wireless charging and MST added to android pay so you could use it anywhere like Samsung Pay. Level 2 wishes would be SD card and a bigger battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid