Pixel 3: Looking Ahead

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I hope they keep the 2XL screen / speaker / lack of notch. I want wireless charging and MST added to android pay so you could use it anywhere like Samsung Pay. Level 2 wishes would be SD card and a bigger battery.

There is hope. In the P preview, the settings for notch are as follows: Pixel, Narrow Display Cutout, Tall Display Cutout, Wide Display Cutout.

IMO singling out Pixel in that list COULD mean that they're not doing a notch for 2018. But who knows?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There is hope. In the P preview, the settings for notch are as follows: Pixel, Narrow Display Cutout, Tall Display Cutout, Wide Display Cutout.

IMO singling out Pixel in that list COULD mean that they're not doing a notch for 2018. But who knows?

I'm thinking that they include the notch software in case other manufacturers decide to go with the notch as opposed to manufacturers modifying it after the fact. I'm just guessing though.

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I think biggest unknown is whether the Pixel line continues. Sales have been abysmal compared to iPhone and Samsung and Google is not known for the longevity of some of its efforts.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking that they include the notch software in case other manufacturers decide to go with the notch as opposed to manufacturers modifying it after the fact. I'm just guessing though.

I feel like this is the case as well. Users lose so much useful information with the notch design. I hope Google realizes that and keeps it out of the Pixel's design.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think biggest unknown is whether the Pixel line continues. Sales have been abysmal compared to iPhone and Samsung and Google is not known for the longevity of some of its efforts.

I don't think Google is looking to sell 200 million phones a year. They're a software/advertising company. Hardware sales will continue to be ancillary for some time, IMO.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the notch, but it's not a selling point for me.

I want to see a higher screen/bezel ratio in the standard Pixel - same size handset, bigger screen.

Keep the active edge - I had no idea it would be as useful as it is.

Add wireless charging to stay current (I loved wireless charging on my Nexus 5 and Samsung phones I had).

I've always liked the design of the Pixel series with the "window" on the back - keep some form of that for family appearances. Since wireless charging would need glass/ceramic/plastic backs maybe reverse the "window" format?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Yeah many millions is not their Target. G is very happy with the sales for both generations. The first generation more than doubled their Q4 sales expectations and both had healthy reception so far.

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google is looking to sell 200 million phones a year. They're a software/advertising company. Hardware sales will continue to be ancillary for some time, IMO.

True. But this isn't the first time Google has entered the phone market.

Caspavio

Mar 8, 2018
Visit site
Want: Availability. In my country, we only have the XL version, and it is only available to customers of a specific teleco.

Wish in decreasing importance: Smaller bezels, at least provide a decent usb-c earphones instead of a dongle, more premium materials/look

Kevin Stober

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I would love to see the best screen ever! Highest resolution you could get like 3200×1440 display, and better camera with dual lens and F-stop settings. and better sound.

TomRaines

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
I want to see a device with slimmed bezeals and perhaps a better waterproofing rating. that's just me tho

I own the Pixel 2 and love it so I will probably stick with this phone untill the Pixel 4 comes out. I love that with the native software and hardware that is both designed by Google and just blends so well.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Dual SIM or hybrid (that's the only reason I don't get the XL, i hate going around with two phones). With what they did with one camera, I would be really curious to see them have two.
And the usual...bigger battery, a slightly better finish. Please no notch!

As an iPhone X owner I was worried about the notch. To be quite honest, I forget it is even there. If they put a notch on the next Pixel my only reason for disliking it will be because they copied Apple. Why do that?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think they are doing just fine and it's unrealistic to expect them to take a huge BYTE out of Samsung or iPhone.
Note: Bite spelled incorrectly on purpose.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
As an iPhone X owner I was worried about the notch. To be quite honest, I forget it is even there. If they put a notch on the next Pixel my only reason for disliking it will be because they copied Apple. Why do that?

Probably the same reason that Apple "copied" essential, etc. If you want more display and less body, the notch is happening.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Get rid of the front facing speakers and maximize the screen to body.

improved display

faster charging

faster fingerprint and proximity sensor reaction time