Verizon vs Google

CharleneTX

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to replace my Nexus 6P and I'm looking at the Pixel 2. I'm already a Verizon customer. Is there any difference between going through Google or Verizon? Do both phones get updates about the same time? Any bloatware?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon (Bootloader locked) variant and the Google (Bootloader unlocked) variant have been getting updates at the same time.
The only real bloatware on the Verizon variant are the 'My Verizon' and 'go90' apps (maybe Message+ - perhaps I installed that one). And you can uninstall those if you wish.
I chose to get the Verizon variant because there was a great deal at the time I was seriously thinking about getting one: Verizon was offering a $300 bill credit (spread out over 24 months) and Target was offering a $250 gift card. YMMV.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
The Verizon (Bootloader locked) variant and the Google (Bootloader unlocked) variant have been getting updates at the same time.
The only real bloatware on the Verizon variant are the 'My Verizon' and 'go90' apps (maybe Message+ - perhaps I installed that one). And you can uninstall those if you wish.
I chose to get the Verizon variant because there was a great deal at the time I was seriously thinking about getting one: Verizon was offering a $300 bill credit (spread out over 24 months) and Target was offering a $250 gift card. YMMV.

What happens if you sell the device within 24 months?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Last fall when I got my Pixel 2 XL I looked at Verizon and I compared to Google Fi. I chose to buy direct from Google. I could have financed through Google but chose to just buy it outright. Locking in to Verizon at that time would have cost me $110/mo for my wife and me. My average cost with Google Fi so far has been $37.90 for both of us. Here's the comparative cost over 3 years.
$3,960.00 (36 mo X 110)
$1,364.40 (36 mo X 37.90)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you sell the device within 24 months?

Well usually it isn't the best to sell a device on a payment plan since most sites don't allow that. Also most buyers wouldn't want to buy a phone on a payment plan because that means the old owner needs to stay current or their phone gets blacklisted.

That aside ... the bill credits stay. Verizon cares about the deal for the phone -- not the phone actually being used on the plan.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm ready to replace my Nexus 6P and I'm looking at the Pixel 2. I'm already a Verizon customer. Is there any difference between going through Google or Verizon? Do both phones get updates about the same time? Any bloatware?

No bloat. Only difference is what @GSDer said (the locked bootloader). Bootloader isn't a big issue if you don't plan on rooting/ROMing.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's very tempting to go unlocked: no carrier bloatware or payment plans associated with a two-year contract. However, if you can get a Pixel 2 when there's a great sale going on with your carrier, I'd say go for it. :)

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
It's very tempting to go unlocked: no carrier bloatware or payment plans associated with a two-year contract. However, if you can get a Pixel 2 when there's a great sale going on with your carrier, I'd say go for it. :)

I agree.. although I think it's always best to go unlocked. I'm getting away from jump on demand with T-Mobile for this very reason. No point in leasing a phone in my opinion..

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at riding out my contract. But at the time they had the phone for half off.yes it's with a bill credit but I didn't plan to leave Verizon, they are the best in my area.

CharleneTX

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Argh! I've think I've reached decision paralysis. I went by Verizon today and checked out both models. The locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me. I don't foresee switching from Verizon any time soon (we get a corporate discount through work and I'm happy with the service), so that's also not an issue.

I can get a $100 trade-in for my Nexus 6P from Google; no trade-in value at Verizon.

The Pixel 2 is the same price buying through Google ($650-$100 trade) or Verizon ($550 on sale, no trade). It's a little smaller than my Nexus 6P, but I could live with that; it's a little bigger than my previous phone (4.7").

Then comes the part where I'm waffling. The Pixel 2 XL at Google is $850-$100 trade, but Verizon has it on sale for $550 (no trade). So, for the same price I could get the bigger model. However, I've been reading lots of concerns about the screen on the XL. I didn't notice any issues with the store's demo model, but I am a bit concerned about potential burn in. I'm also not sure about the curved edges. I usually get a Rhinoshield Bumper.

I've also been reading that Google seems to have a better extended warranty plan than Verizon. In that case I'd go with the P2 because of price.

Decisions, decisions.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got pixel XL 2. No screen issues . Great phone. Had called Verizon to inquire about upgrading and they also added 100 bill credit to upgrade. Sold my g8 plus for 375 put cost of new phone under a 100

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Argh! I've think I've reached decision paralysis. I went by Verizon today and checked out both models. The locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me. I don't foresee switching from Verizon any time soon (we get a corporate discount through work and I'm happy with the service), so that's also not an issue.

I can get a $100 trade-in for my Nexus 6P from Google; no trade-in value at Verizon.

The Pixel 2 is the same price buying through Google ($650-$100 trade) or Verizon ($550 on sale, no trade). It's a little smaller than my Nexus 6P, but I could live with that; it's a little bigger than my previous phone (4.7").

Then comes the part where I'm waffling. The Pixel 2 XL at Google is $850-$100 trade, but Verizon has it on sale for $550 (no trade). So, for the same price I could get the bigger model. However, I've been reading lots of concerns about the screen on the XL. I didn't notice any issues with the store's demo model, but I am a bit concerned about potential burn in. I'm also not sure about the curved edges. I usually get a Rhinoshield Bumper.

I've also been reading that Google seems to have a better extended warranty plan than Verizon. In that case I'd go with the P2 because of price.

Decisions, decisions.

That sale on the 2 XL is really good. My friend has one and it has a good screen - if you get a phone with blue tint you can always return it as Google does have that warranty. Burn-in on the XL is less prevalent, I believe.

I'd recommend going with the phone that you can see yourself using and using contentedly. Which one can you see yourself using long-term?

CharleneTX

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. My current phone's battery dropped 25% in 30 mins today. I called the extended warranty folks and they're sending me a Pixel 2 XL under warranty with a $80 deductible.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked bootloader means you can keep your pixel, long after google stops supporting it. Also can add to resale value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome