Pixel 2 XL vs S9/9+: Double Standard?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
which to me begs the question why? Is it media Being media or is the media quick to hammer Google now that it's a direct competitor to Samsung?

I don't think there's anything malicious on the part of most of the tech blogs. There definitely is/was on the part of some individual forums posters, but for the most part here's how I see it. 1) Ron @ ARS got a bad review unit. 2) All the tech blogs started reposting the issue without any fact checking and without any additional information to add because 3) LG was giving their first prime-time LED displays on phones a spotlight and 4) within the tech blog community, the Pixels are a hot topic that 5) generate tons of clicks, regardless of whether or not the information is factual and 6) most of the reviewers, including most of the staff of this site, have no idea what makes a display good or bad. They regularly refer to inaccurate displays as beautiful, etc. Now, 7) all or most of the reviewers are aware that the P2XL never had a widespread display issue and 8) can't admit that they intentionally posted false information in order to generate revenue and so now they might be 9) afraid to jump on this bandwagon, which would expose them as hacks on the same level as BGR, SAMMOBILE, etc. Ultimately, 10) the major reviewers haven't seen this issue first hand and because of their own pushed narrative about Samsung being the display king (despite evidence to the contrary, at least when comparing Samsung devices to other devices which carry displays manufactured by Samsung) the're loathe to make a wild claim about Samsung displays having major defects because it 11) disagrees with their presuppositions and doesn't support the confirmation bias that their immature writing style depends upon. 12) The narrative for Nexus and Pixel phones for years have been that they skimped on Hardware in order to cut costs, etc. This is factually false with the exception of the Nexus 4, however pointing at hardware issues because of this pushed narrative is easier to do because OF COURSE it has hardware issues, because Google cheaped out. Right? Wrong; but 13)no one cares if it is right or wrong - what they care about is whether or not the masses are clicking on their headline.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
@Itsa_Me_Mario I do agree, in concept, that at least some of the elements you've mentioned above played their part in the fiasco last fall. There seemed to be a lot of ignorance about the subject, OLED panels etc, at the time and media made a decision to move a narrative forward to drive eyes/clicks to their dramatics.

Indeed, a moments pause would not have been a bad thing at that time to allow cooler heads to prevail and get the narrative more rooted and not as sensationalized.

While the Pixel brand is still relatively unknown to the masses, Pixel = Google in the tech community and Google = clicks.

Last edited:

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually go look around. There's plenty of pixel owners on every forum who get all defensive over the camera. They're everywhere. I see them on most all the flagship forums here ready to defend the pixel camera or the stock software and quick updates and such. There's people like that on every forum for every device. Dont be blind. It's just people get passionate about the devices and want to proclaim theirs is the best. No harm. But to claim that pixel owners dont do that is laughable. I personally dont feel the need to defend a device. I dont keep them long enough to even form a bond with lol. I normally keep a phone a few weeks to a month before I get something else.

This is an awesome statement my friend. I am the same way. I have been messing around with mobile phones since the public could afford them, and have always loved tinkering. It is why I love Android and Apple drives me crazy. I currently have a Pixel 2 XL and an S9+ sitting on my table. I am agonizing over which one gets returned. In the past, I have not enjoyed Sammys implementation of either hardware or software, regardless of how it looks on paper. The materials have been quality, but just too many "but why's" for me. Stacking the S9+ head to head with the Pixel, in person, has been agonizing. I have found, to my disbelief honestly, that the S9 is winning me over. While I hear many people shout about the PURE android experience, I am finding I can tweak more UI aspects with the sammy than the pixel. If we get ugly and get down to flashing and rooting and all that, I throw my hands up, because it comes down to the skill of the user more than hardware/software. As a mediocre photographer, but one who loves taking pics of my outdoor surroundings, I have found the S9 to equal the Pixel, EASILY. Screen quality, I am sorry to say, the Sammy smashes the Pixel, and I am not a picky guy. I find myself justifying too many things to keep the Pixel, and I think THAT is the answer, for ME anyways! LOL I really love these forums, and on a day to day basis, I find myself chuckling or facepalming, which, I would say, means EVERYONE is doing what they ought to be doing! IMHO lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is an awesome statement my friend. I am the same way. I have been messing around with mobile phones since the public could afford them, and have always loved tinkering. It is why I love Android and Apple drives me crazy. I currently have a Pixel 2 XL and an S9+ sitting on my table. I am agonizing over which one gets returned. In the past, I have not enjoyed Sammys implementation of either hardware or software, regardless of how it looks on paper. The materials have been quality, but just too many "but why's" for me. Stacking the S9+ head to head with the Pixel, in person, has been agonizing. I have found, to my disbelief honestly, that the S9 is winning me over. While I hear many people shout about the PURE android experience, I am finding I can tweak more UI aspects with the sammy than the pixel. If we get ugly and get down to flashing and rooting and all that, I throw my hands up, because it comes down to the skill of the user more than hardware/software. As a mediocre photographer, but one who loves taking pics of my outdoor surroundings, I have found the S9 to equal the Pixel, EASILY. Screen quality, I am sorry to say, the Sammy smashes the Pixel, and I am not a picky guy. I find myself justifying too many things to keep the Pixel, and I think THAT is the answer, for ME anyways! LOL I really love these forums, and on a day to day basis, I find myself chuckling or facepalming, which, I would say, means EVERYONE is doing what they ought to be doing! IMHO lol

I don't see Sammy smashing anything in side by side comparisons but that's my opinion. If I thought that was the case I'd be first online buying an S9+.
Seeing lots of reports of black crush on the S9+.... hopefully you won't have it on yours and Sammy gets to the root of the problem.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Being an ardent photographer, I just can't deal with garrish, cartoonish oversaturation. Add the problem with security and operating system updates being months late and I can't be a buyer.

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Being an ardent photographer, I just can't deal with garrish, cartoonish oversaturation. Add the problem with security and operating system updates being months late and I can't be a buyer.

The security updates are what pushed me over the edge. BlueBourne and KRACK last year really emphasized the need for timely security updates. Samsung was negligent in their security updates, in my opinion. Not as bad as other Android vendors, but given their position in the industry they should have done much better. (I bought unlocked, non-carrier versions and still was behind. My Note is currently on January service pack. The S8+ is on December while waiting for Oreo.)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No I don't see any "double standard" Every device forum is filled with problems/issues/complaints. If you don't see a lot of complaints and issues. Its more likely that phone didn't sell, as opposed to it being so well made, that no body had any problems with the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2