03-25-2018 01:40 PM
27 12
tools
    With the launch of the latest Samsung handset, there seems to be a growing number of complaints about black crush and color banding on the S9/9+ displays. Many users have reported seeing issues and some have even sent their units in for repair or replacement.

My question is where are the reports of display issues? Why did this become a huge issue for the 2XL but it's thus far mum for the S9/9+?

Do you guys and gals feel like there's a little bit of a bias toward either company and is it possible or negative in coverage?
    03-19-2018 02:34 PM
    With the launch of the latest Samsung handset, there seems to be a growing number of complaints about black crush and color banding on the S9/9+ displays. Many users have reported seeing issues and some have even sent their units in for repair or replacement.

My question is where are the reports of display issues? Why did this become a huge issue for the 2XL but it's thus far mum for the S9/9+?

Do you guys and gals feel like there's a little bit of a bias toward either company and is it possible or negative in coverage?
    Links to these reports would be helpful.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    03-19-2018 02:47 PM
    Did Ron at Ars get a bad display?
    03-19-2018 03:00 PM
    Did Ron at Ars get a bad display?
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=875471
    03-19-2018 03:06 PM
    Links to these reports would be helpful.
    Fairly decent sized thread in the S9 forums. At least three, maybe four pages of multiple reports.
    03-19-2018 03:10 PM
    Yeah some of those photos look really bad. But, just like with the P2XL displays, it's likely it's a dud, rather than it being a widespread issue that impacts a significant portion of all devices. The P2XL only went sensational because Ron @ ARS said it and a whole bunch of blogs rushed to capitalize on the sensationalism, rather than reported the facts - which, in general, was that their own review units did not have any of the issues that the internet trolls were going on about.
    Nubwy and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-19-2018 03:31 PM
    I would say no bias at this point without more information: How many units sold vs confirmed defects? Time elapsed between 2XL release and mainstream coverage of display issues? It might be too early to tell. Maybe the media will make something out of it, maybe not.

Samsung got a pretty huge black eye with the Note 7's exploding battery but Google seemed to fly under the radar with the Nexus 6P's early shutdown/battery lifespan problems.
    03-19-2018 03:40 PM
    I would say no bias at this point without more information: How many units sold vs confirmed defects? Time elapsed between 2XL release and mainstream coverage of display issues? It might be too early to tell. Maybe the media will make something out of it, maybe not.

Samsung got a pretty huge black eye with the Note 7's exploding battery but Google seemed to fly under the radar with the Nexus 6P's early shutdown/battery lifespan problems.
    I would think an exploding battery would deserve more attention
    03-19-2018 04:31 PM
    Some interesting takes. Although I don't think a public safety hazard is the same league as a blue shift on an OLED panel, I agree that there wasn't as much coverage on the Pixel 2 XL. Either way, it remains to be seen if the S9 display issue is as widespread and if it is, will it be software or hardware related fix wise.

I personally tend to see more Samsung bias whenever phones are generally reviewed en masse. Quality wise, I've had issues with red coloration (S8), and I got a crack in the back glass due to some unknown reason, even though my phone never left it's case and I did not drop it more than a half foot at any point in it's life (Note 8). Plus my Note 8 had a badly glued screen with severe light leak at the frame. No phone is blemish free generally but these are pretty obvious QC issues I don't have with my Pixel nor did I have with my iPhone 6S, 7 or 7 Plus.

Wonder why we see more hits on the likes of Google, HTC and LG for bad QC but I see less on Samsung. Might be anecdotal maybe?
    03-19-2018 05:11 PM
    I would think an exploding battery would deserve more attention
    Good point...
    03-19-2018 05:35 PM
    Wonder why we see more hits on the likes of Google, HTC and LG for bad QC but I see less on Samsung. Might be anecdotal maybe?
    Yeah, it is hard to say. Maybe anecdotal or just your personal filter kicking in. Then again, Samsung does get dinged pretty hard for the software experience it delivers on its devices. Oh wait, that's justified
    Nubwy likes this.
    03-19-2018 05:37 PM
    Yeah, it is hard to say. Maybe anecdotal or just your personal filter kicking in. Then again, Samsung does get dinged pretty hard for the software experience it delivers on its devices. Oh wait, that's justified
    Yeah, I'll come out and be the first to say I've had a few Samsung's over the last few years and I wasn't a fan. The Note 8 came close but it had faults also as I stated. But as far as picking a phone up, powering it on and using it, I have never had any issues with any of my iPhones and so far my Pixel 2.

Did the smaller Pixel 2 have any display issues?
    03-19-2018 05:39 PM
    Yeah, I'll come out and be the first to say I've had a few Samsung's over the last few years and I wasn't a fan. The Note 8 came close but it had faults also as I stated. But as far as picking a phone up, powering it on and using it, I have never had any issues with any of my iPhones and so far my Pixel 2.

Did the smaller Pixel 2 have any display issues?
    Nope. I wonder why? ; )

Oh the irony lol
    03-19-2018 07:03 PM
    lol
    03-19-2018 09:16 PM
    I think it's similar to the Pixel 2 XL. As in that it is related to batch.

I personally think the screen issue, while definitely disconcerting on an expensive phone, was a little overblown. It wasn't really a systematic fault with the display itself but moreso to do with inconsistent quality assurance depending on the batch. That's why some 2 XLs have screens that shift blue extremely early on while others barely shift at all.

I think we're seeing the same with Samsung as well. Given how often the 2 XL was mocked for using an LG display, I guess this shows that even the largest manufacturer of OLED panels and one with years of experience doesn't get away without having issues. My Note8 has a slight red shift off axis but I haven't heard of anyone else seeing it.
    03-19-2018 10:48 PM
    The difference is the sammy trolls come out in droves on every forum and outlet where they can spew their liberal sammy loving ways.

Where as most Pixel users are sane objective people and don't go posting all over sammy forums, but rather just let them wallow in their sammy filth.
    Actually go look around. There's plenty of pixel owners on every forum who get all defensive over the camera. They're everywhere. I see them on most all the flagship forums here ready to defend the pixel camera or the stock software and quick updates and such. There's people like that on every forum for every device. Dont be blind. It's just people get passionate about the devices and want to proclaim theirs is the best. No harm. But to claim that pixel owners dont do that is laughable. I personally dont feel the need to defend a device. I dont keep them long enough to even form a bond with lol. I normally keep a phone a few weeks to a month before I get something else.
    MarkMN likes this.
    03-19-2018 11:39 PM
    Also important to add that Samsung is selling at least 5 times as many units. If they have 10 people with display issues, that's a smaller percentage of the population with issues than if 10 pixels had display issues. Then selection bias must be looked at. People often come to forums to complain, but not many people create an account in order to praise their device. So seeing some complaining isn't alarming, just like it wasn't with the P2XL. Both devices are by and large totally fine with a few exceptions.
    DMP89145 and sulla1965 like this.
    03-20-2018 07:19 AM
    Also, I'd believe more Pixel owners are critical of their devices.

Also, a large part of Samsung users are similar to iPhone users who don't care much apart from its a Samsung and its what they know and have no real frame of reference.
    DMP89145 and sixty_four like this.
    03-20-2018 07:35 AM
    Also important to add that Samsung is selling at least 5 times as many units. If they have 10 people with display issues, that's a smaller percentage of the population with issues than if 10 pixels had display issues. Then selection bias must be looked at. People often come to forums to complain, but not many people create an account in order to praise their device. So seeing some complaining isn't alarming, just like it wasn't with the P2XL. Both devices are by and large totally fine with a few exceptions.
    I agree with this is some sense. As a percentage, you're probably spot one regarding the amount of complaints and/or coverage. But the other side of that coin rings true as well. The Pixel brand, particularly P2, is such a small percentage of the overall market and yet for at least two months straight the tech press community seemed hypercritical of the device's display missteps.

I mean estimates at 4 million devices in 2017, including P1 & P2. Does that amount really command the amount hypercritical coverage that device received at launch?

I won't go as far to say the press is biased or turns a blind eye, but it does make one wonder...
    Nubwy likes this.
    03-20-2018 09:50 AM
    That's a fair point actually, well said. If the Pixel 2 XL is a small segment compared to Samsung, then I think it's fair to say it got a larger than realistic share of the coverage for a handful of units, which to me begs the question why? Is it media Being media or is the media quick to hammer Google now that it's a direct competitor to Samsung?
    03-20-2018 10:51 AM
    which to me begs the question why? Is it media Being media or is the media quick to hammer Google now that it's a direct competitor to Samsung?
    I don't think there's anything malicious on the part of most of the tech blogs. There definitely is/was on the part of some individual forums posters, but for the most part here's how I see it. 1) Ron @ ARS got a bad review unit. 2) All the tech blogs started reposting the issue without any fact checking and without any additional information to add because 3) LG was giving their first prime-time LED displays on phones a spotlight and 4) within the tech blog community, the Pixels are a hot topic that 5) generate tons of clicks, regardless of whether or not the information is factual and 6) most of the reviewers, including most of the staff of this site, have no idea what makes a display good or bad. They regularly refer to inaccurate displays as beautiful, etc. Now, 7) all or most of the reviewers are aware that the P2XL never had a widespread display issue and 8) can't admit that they intentionally posted false information in order to generate revenue and so now they might be 9) afraid to jump on this bandwagon, which would expose them as hacks on the same level as BGR, SAMMOBILE, etc. Ultimately, 10) the major reviewers haven't seen this issue first hand and because of their own pushed narrative about Samsung being the display king (despite evidence to the contrary, at least when comparing Samsung devices to other devices which carry displays manufactured by Samsung) the're loathe to make a wild claim about Samsung displays having major defects because it 11) disagrees with their presuppositions and doesn't support the confirmation bias that their immature writing style depends upon. 12) The narrative for Nexus and Pixel phones for years have been that they skimped on Hardware in order to cut costs, etc. This is factually false with the exception of the Nexus 4, however pointing at hardware issues because of this pushed narrative is easier to do because OF COURSE it has hardware issues, because Google cheaped out. Right? Wrong; but 13)no one cares if it is right or wrong - what they care about is whether or not the masses are clicking on their headline.
    DMP89145 and Nubwy like this.
    03-20-2018 11:05 AM
    @Itsa_Me_Mario I do agree, in concept, that at least some of the elements you've mentioned above played their part in the fiasco last fall. There seemed to be a lot of ignorance about the subject, OLED panels etc, at the time and media made a decision to move a narrative forward to drive eyes/clicks to their dramatics.

Indeed, a moments pause would not have been a bad thing at that time to allow cooler heads to prevail and get the narrative more rooted and not as sensationalized.

While the Pixel brand is still relatively unknown to the masses, Pixel = Google in the tech community and Google = clicks.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    03-20-2018 11:53 AM
    Actually go look around. There's plenty of pixel owners on every forum who get all defensive over the camera. They're everywhere. I see them on most all the flagship forums here ready to defend the pixel camera or the stock software and quick updates and such. There's people like that on every forum for every device. Dont be blind. It's just people get passionate about the devices and want to proclaim theirs is the best. No harm. But to claim that pixel owners dont do that is laughable. I personally dont feel the need to defend a device. I dont keep them long enough to even form a bond with lol. I normally keep a phone a few weeks to a month before I get something else.
    This is an awesome statement my friend. I am the same way. I have been messing around with mobile phones since the public could afford them, and have always loved tinkering. It is why I love Android and Apple drives me crazy. I currently have a Pixel 2 XL and an S9+ sitting on my table. I am agonizing over which one gets returned. In the past, I have not enjoyed Sammys implementation of either hardware or software, regardless of how it looks on paper. The materials have been quality, but just too many "but why's" for me. Stacking the S9+ head to head with the Pixel, in person, has been agonizing. I have found, to my disbelief honestly, that the S9 is winning me over. While I hear many people shout about the PURE android experience, I am finding I can tweak more UI aspects with the sammy than the pixel. If we get ugly and get down to flashing and rooting and all that, I throw my hands up, because it comes down to the skill of the user more than hardware/software. As a mediocre photographer, but one who loves taking pics of my outdoor surroundings, I have found the S9 to equal the Pixel, EASILY. Screen quality, I am sorry to say, the Sammy smashes the Pixel, and I am not a picky guy. I find myself justifying too many things to keep the Pixel, and I think THAT is the answer, for ME anyways! LOL I really love these forums, and on a day to day basis, I find myself chuckling or facepalming, which, I would say, means EVERYONE is doing what they ought to be doing! IMHO lol
    sulla1965 and areyes163 like this.
    03-21-2018 11:49 AM
    This is an awesome statement my friend. I am the same way. I have been messing around with mobile phones since the public could afford them, and have always loved tinkering. It is why I love Android and Apple drives me crazy. I currently have a Pixel 2 XL and an S9+ sitting on my table. I am agonizing over which one gets returned. In the past, I have not enjoyed Sammys implementation of either hardware or software, regardless of how it looks on paper. The materials have been quality, but just too many "but why's" for me. Stacking the S9+ head to head with the Pixel, in person, has been agonizing. I have found, to my disbelief honestly, that the S9 is winning me over. While I hear many people shout about the PURE android experience, I am finding I can tweak more UI aspects with the sammy than the pixel. If we get ugly and get down to flashing and rooting and all that, I throw my hands up, because it comes down to the skill of the user more than hardware/software. As a mediocre photographer, but one who loves taking pics of my outdoor surroundings, I have found the S9 to equal the Pixel, EASILY. Screen quality, I am sorry to say, the Sammy smashes the Pixel, and I am not a picky guy. I find myself justifying too many things to keep the Pixel, and I think THAT is the answer, for ME anyways! LOL I really love these forums, and on a day to day basis, I find myself chuckling or facepalming, which, I would say, means EVERYONE is doing what they ought to be doing! IMHO lol
    I don't see Sammy smashing anything in side by side comparisons but that's my opinion. If I thought that was the case I'd be first online buying an S9+.
    Seeing lots of reports of black crush on the S9+.... hopefully you won't have it on yours and Sammy gets to the root of the problem.
    westiewanderer likes this.
    03-24-2018 09:43 PM
    Being an ardent photographer, I just can't deal with garrish, cartoonish oversaturation. Add the problem with security and operating system updates being months late and I can't be a buyer.
    03-24-2018 11:24 PM
27 12