Was going to order a pixel 2 but then.....

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So, the essential phone is on sale at Best Buy today for $450 plus a $25 gift card. Apparently the camera app has improved significantly, not pixel levels but its solid. With it being unlocked and clean android and now on 8.1, is it worth a try? I really want the google experience but for a 64GB Pixel 2 with Preferred Care I'm looking at over $800. I could save over $300 getting an Essential phone (PH-1) and get double the storage to boot with a great screen. I want a good camera but I'm wondering if it is good enough for $300 less.

Does anybody have both or have recent experience with both?

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're on tmobile stay away from it according to people on reddit. It has radio problems so people have issues getting consistent service on tmobile, and even other carriers but it's the worst on tmo I guess. No experience with it so i can't say much more. Check out r/essential for more

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're on tmobile stay away from it according to people on reddit. It has radio problems so people have issues getting consistent service on tmobile, and even other carriers but it's the worst on tmo I guess. No experience with it so i can't say much more. Check out r/essential for more

I have an Essential on T-Mobile and have had no signal issues. I have to say I am very impressed with this device for the price. I didn’t buy it so it could be my primary device as I have an iPhone X, a Galaxy S9 and a Sony Xperia XZ Premium but let me tell you, it is an absolute steal at the price I paid on Swappa for a like new device with the camera at $400. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone who wanted a good bang for their buck.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an Essential on T-Mobile and have had no signal issues. I have to say I am very impressed with this device for the price. I didn’t buy it so it could be my primary device as I have an iPhone X, a Galaxy S9 and a Sony Xperia XZ Premium but let me tell you, it is an absolute steal at the price I paid on Swappa for a like new device with the camera at $400. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone who wanted a good bang for their buck.

Well I was just going off what I was reading a lot on reddit.

subycat1

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
yes i have the pixel2 and the essential phone. i like the essential better, but there is a tradeoff. the essential phone is the same physical size but has a 5.7 inch vs 5inch. the screen on the essential is much better and the hardware is much better, the camera has improved and is close to the Pixel bit not quite as good, the essential has bare bones camera selection vs Pixel. the Pixel is just ever so slightly smoother in days to day function. the essential phone is heavier then the Pixel and you will notice the weight. the essential now has Oreo 8.1 so the experience will be the same.

I have both and switch back and forth, I would have to say the Essential is the phone I like better and it gets more daily driver very time.

hope this helps

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
yes i have the pixel2 and the essential phone. i like the essential better, but there is a tradeoff. the essential phone is the same physical size but has a 5.7 inch vs 5inch. the screen on the essential is much better and the hardware is much better, the camera has improved and is close to the Pixel bit not quite as good, the essential has bare bones camera selection vs Pixel. the Pixel is just ever so slightly smoother in days to day function. the essential phone is heavier then the Pixel and you will notice the weight. the essential now has Oreo 8.1 so the experience will be the same.

I have both and switch back and forth, I would have to say the Essential is the phone I like better and it gets more daily driver very time.

hope this helps
oh i am n Verizon
Any difference in signal for you?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So is there any difference in signal strength for you when you switch between them? I am on T-Mobile too.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So is there any difference in signal strength for you when you switch between them? I am on T-Mobile too.
I'm starting to wonder if the pixel 2 is worth spending $800 on when I'm considering the Essential PH-1 now partially for the screen yet I love the screen on my G6. Maybe I just need to deal with the G6 for awhile.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Personally OP, I think you should go for the Essential. Recent reports have reinforced that their initial launch problems are mostly behind them. Also, I say that because:

1) I am a Pixel loyalist, but Essential's device does have a spot in my "possibility" file.

2) E2 will be a better device, if they actually get one out, and there maybe be some attractive incentives for trade-in.

3) It's not my money, BUT $300 is $300.

4) If you don't like it you can always take it back.

GO FOR IT!

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally OP, I think you should go for the Essential. Recent reports have reinforced that their initial launch problems are mostly behind them. Also, I say that because:

1) I am a Pixel loyalist, but Essential's device does have a spot in my "possibility" file.

2) E2 will be a better device, if they actually get one out, and there maybe be some attractive incentives for trade-in.

3) It's not my money, BUT $300 is $300.

4) If you don't like it you can always take it back.

GO FOR IT!
If it was your money would you spend the extra $300 for the pixel 2?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
If it was your money would you spend the extra $300 for the pixel 2?

Yep.:D

But my considerations are different. I'm not a hardware build person, for example, so that's way low on my list. Essential has an incredible hardware build, but it doesn't get any points from me for that.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep.:D

But my considerations are different. I'm not a hardware build person, for example, so that's way low on my list. Essential has an incredible hardware build, but it doesn't get any points from me for that.
See I have great hardware now with my G6. I am tired of compromised software and always feeling behind. I just don't want to hate the Pixel 2 hardware lol.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I live in NYC which is an area that has very strong t-mobile reception, including in most subway stops. For some reason I couldn't get service anywhere with the Essential phone and when I did it wasn't even on 4GLTE..

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I loved the hardware of the Essential, but I had so much trouble with the software (lost patience and sold it before 8.1 finally came out - I'm not interested in beta software) that I finally gave up on it. Slowness that eventually required rebooting every day. Android Auto - which I always use in the car - was so buggy it was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe its troubles are all behind it - but my confidence is shot. I love my Pixel 2, and while the Essential's screen was awesome, that's the only thing it had going for it better than the Pixel 2.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
So, the essential phone is on sale at Best Buy today for $450 plus a $25 gift card. Apparently the camera app has improved significantly, not pixel levels but its solid. With it being unlocked and clean android and now on 8.1, is it worth a try? I really want the google experience but for a 64GB Pixel 2 with Preferred Care I'm looking at over $800. I could save over $300 getting an Essential phone (PH-1) and get double the storage to boot with a great screen. I want a good camera but I'm wondering if it is good enough for $300 less.

Does anybody have both or have recent experience with both?
I'm gonna be honest. I haven't heard good things about the essential phone.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
question for u why are you considering a essential phone but not a one plus 6 because of the notch? Is what the essential phone have not considered a notch to you ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid