Pixel 2 XL Will Not Run LG TV Remote App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@PowrDroid - do you have both 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz networks running? Do you have isolation enabled? Which networks are your devices connected to? Do you see where I'm going with this?

As for the screen grab - no, it does not seem to be a feature on the WebOS TVs.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
@PowrDroid - do you have both 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz networks running? Do you have isolation enabled? Which networks are your devices connected to? Do you see where I'm going with this?

I have never seen screen grab function either

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I have dual networks but all devices are on the 2.4 gHz network.

Yeah, that's a shame. I really like that feature. At least I still have it on the app that works with my 55" TV.

NewArtDroid

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have an ActionTec Screenbeam. My Droid Turbo 2 hooked to it fine. As does my laptop. But Google Pixel 2 XL won't, presumably because of Miracast technology. If anyone knows a way around this, let me know.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have an ActionTec Screenbeam. My Droid Turbo 2 hooked to it fine. As does my laptop. But Google Pixel 2 XL won't, presumably because of Miracast technology. If anyone knows a way around this, let me know.

Google is no longer supporting Miracast (the technology supporting the connection from Android to that dongle) on Android after 6.0. This is why the new phone won't work while the old one did. You'll need a new "cast" device to work with the new phone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast#Android

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I got out my old Droid Turbo, powered it up and tried the LG remote control apps--and I was able to instantly connect to each TV using the appropriate app for that TV.

I tried my Pixel 2 XL again, and this time it worked! I don't know why it works, I just know that it is working.

Subsequent attempts to use my Pixel 2 XL and my LG remote control app has failed, that is, the 2 XL was not able to connect to my TV.

This time rather than firing up my Droid Turbo and going through that process, I did a hard power down and power on again with my 2 XL. This enabled the LG remote control app to connect to the TV. This seems to indicate there is a setting in my 2 XL that keeps getting toggled to cause the LG remote control app not to work.

toiday

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Work fine for me. LG WebOS Magic Remote
43ef4c57dcb6b563d441f8fb4aa1446f.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: I'm not sure how I got my Pixel 2XL to work with the LG TV app, but I've been taking screenshots of my TV content for at least a year now. Last night I was taking some screen grabs of the World Series without problem until suddenly it would no longer work. Now I get an error message: "Failed to Capture.(5)"

Hard power down and power up of the phone did not solve. Unplugging the TV for a minute and replugging in did not solve. I can't uninstall and reinstall the app because it's no longer available on the Play Store.

I dug out my old Droid Turbo and gave it a try. It continues to function with the LG TV remote app. So once again it's something with the 2XL that's making this feature not to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs