Pixel 2 XL Will Not Run LG TV Remote App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
First I learned the Pixel 2 XL would not Miracast content to my 2013 LG Smart TV. Now tonight I learn the LG TV remote app that I used with my Droid Turbo to make screen grabs of the TV screen does not work with the Pixel 2 XL. Boo!

Does Google block any and all communication between Pixel 2s and TVs unless and only if it is Chromecast?

Is there any app that will work with my Pixel 2 XL to enable me to take screen grabs from my TV?

toiday

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have Pixel 2 and it still work with my LG UB8500. That's odd because the 2 XL is made by LG therefore it should work with LG TV.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That's odd because the 2 XL is made by LG therefore it should work with LG TV.

Not so fast... The HARDWARE is manufactured by LG, the OS is all Google's doing and is what matters for these features.

I'll have to try when I get home, I have a 2014 42LB6300 that uses the WebOS builds. I have actually not set my phone up to connect to my TV (shows you how much I use that option).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
First I learned the Pixel 2 XL would not Miracast content to my 2013 LG Smart TV. Now tonight I learn the LG TV remote app that I used with my Droid Turbo to make screen grabs of the TV screen does not work with the Pixel 2 XL. Boo!

Does Google block any and all communication between Pixel 2s and TVs unless and only if it is Chromecast?

Is there any app that will work with my Pixel 2 XL to enable me to take screen grabs from my TV?

I doubt Google blocks it. Is the remote app kept up to date? Working on a Droid Turbo from 2014 to a 2017/18 phone is a big jump :p.

Also I would say it doesn't block it all since I had the real DirecTV and used their remote app to control my TV boxes without an issue.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Still using that app for my 2013 LG Smart TV on all the phones I switch between and it still works as well as ever. Currently on the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and I just took a screen grab of the TV downstairs (daughter is obviously watching Mickey Mouse lol) Did you grant the app all the permissions like Camera and Storage etc?

Attachments

• 24035.jpg
    24035.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 101

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Still using that app for my 2013 LG Smart TV on all the phones I switch between and it still works as well as ever. Currently on the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and I just took a screen grab of the TV downstairs (daughter is obviously watching Mickey Mouse lol) Did you grant the app all the permissions like Camera and Storage etc?

Only permission the app asks for is Storage and it is enabled.

When I attempt to use the LG TV remote app, I get this message:

"Check to see if TV supports LG TV remote" (Yes, I had been using it with my old phone.)
"Turn on LG TV." (Duh. Yes, it is on.)
"Check network setting of mobile device." (both TV and Pixel 2 XL are on the same network.)

My TV does open a small window with a pairing key I'm supposed to input into the phone. But the pairing key is not a number, it's just several dots. (see pic)

LG-TV-Pairing-Key.jpg

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Only permission the app asks for is Storage and it is enabled.

When I attempt to use the LG TV remote app, I get this message:

"Check to see if TV supports LG TV remote" (Yes, I had been using it with my old phone.)
"Turn on LG TV." (Duh. Yes, it is on.)
"Check network setting of mobile device." (both TV and Pixel 2 XL are on the same network.)

My TV does open a small window with a pairing key I'm supposed to input into the phone. But the pairing key is not a number, it's just several dots. (see pic)

View attachment 281278
That is weird! But it seems to be the TV that has the issue as it's not showing the pairing key to enter into your phone app? The pairing key doesn't change either I'm pretty certain it'll be the same number it's always been. Maybe worth trying to reset your network connection on the tv

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I also have an LG 42LB6300 TV that I have tried to control with three different LG TV apps. None of them work. One of them gets as far as "Device Scan" where it is searching for the TV, but the TV never shows as available. Yes, I have confirmed that both TV and Pixel 2 are on the same network. Yes, the TV has the "LG Connect Apps" function enabled.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but nothing is showing on my phone indicating I'm supposed to enter anything.
Ahh ok I follow. That would peeve me off too tbh as all my TV's are LG so I have that app plus the WebOS one for my other tvs. I'd be lost without them on my phone

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
dov1978 said:
Still using that app for my 2013 LG Smart TV on all the phones I switch between and it still works as well as ever. Currently on the Huawei Mate 10 Pro

Ahh ok I follow. That would peeve me off too tbh as all my TV's are LG so I have that app plus the WebOS one for my other tvs. I'd be lost without them on my phone

Do you have a Pixel 2? Can you confirm that the LG TV remote app works on it?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Pixel 2? Can you confirm that the LG TV remote app works on it?
I don't. I have the Huawei Mate 10 Pro just now and it's worked fine on all my phones over the years. Galaxy Note 8, S8's, LG's etc etc so not working on Pixels seems quite weird

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I also have an LG 42LB6300 TV that I have tried to control with three different LG TV apps. None of them work. One of them gets as far as "Device Scan" where it is searching for the TV, but the TV never shows as available. Yes, I have confirmed that both TV and Pixel 2 are on the same network. Yes, the TV has the "LG Connect Apps" function enabled.

I posted as having the same TV as you say you have. Use the LG TV Plus app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.app1 This is the app for the WebOS-based TVs.

I just paired the app to my TV, went quick, I was able to move the on-screen cursor with the virtual trackpad on the screen and I imagine changing settings and inputs would work (watching a show right now)

As for the OP - have you had this working with another mobile device previously? Are you trying to use the same app as before?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I posted as having the same TV as you say you have. Use the LG TV Plus app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.app1 This is the app for the WebOS-based TVs.

I just paired the app to my TV, went quick, I was able to move the on-screen cursor with the virtual trackpad on the screen and I imagine changing settings and inputs would work (watching a show right now)

Are you using a Pixel 2?

I have tried the app in your link with my 42LB6300 and it did not work. I also tried this app with the 42LB6300 and it did not work either:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgerp.mobilemagicremote

As for the OP - have you had this working with another mobile device previously? Are you trying to use the same app as before?

I am the OP and this is the app that I used with my Droid Turbo on my LG LM7600:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.tv.remoteapps

This app does not work with my Pixel 2 XL on either the LM7600 or the LB6300.

Since none of these LG apps work with my Pixel 2 XL and they previously did work with my Droid Turbo and since I did get the pairing window to pop up on my LM7600, I suspect there is some setting on my Pixel 2 XL that is not allowing it to communicate fully with the LG TV's or else there is something wrong with my Pixel 2 XL, or else all Pixel 2's do not work as a TV remote with LG TV's using these apps.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a Pixel 2?

I have tried the app in your link with my 42LB6300 and it did not work. I also tried this app with the 42LB6300 and it did not work either:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgerp.mobilemagicremote

I am the OP and this is the app that I used with my Droid Turbo on my LG LM7600:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.tv.remoteapps

This app does not work with my Pixel 2 XL on either the LM7600 or the LB6300.

Since none of these LG apps work with my Pixel 2 XL and they previously did work with my Droid Turbo and since I did get the pairing window to pop up on my LM7600, I suspect there is some setting on my Pixel 2 XL that is not allowing it to communicate fully with the LG TV's or else there is something wrong with my Pixel 2 XL, or else all Pixel 2's do not work as a TV remote with LG TV's using these apps.
Yup, Pixel 2 XL, LG 42LB6300 TV using the LG TV Plus app.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have an LG TV from 2016. I have a pixel 2 xl and i can connect the LG TV app with no issues. The pairing key comes up and I get full functionality. So I dunno what is happening with your phones...
25ab825ff22625ca8d943ee6e39d77d1.jpg
9950ad32d94af647a84b55071264c129.jpg
3e1f433c502e42de4cdf031217b10cb2.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an LG 55EC9300 OLED HD TV.
I downloaded from Google Play the app "LG WebOS Magic Remote".
The app pairs with my TV and works with full functionality.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, this was strange. I attempted to use the LG remote control apps on both my TV's using my Pixel 2 XL. In both cases the Pixel 2 XL could not "find" the TV's. That is, the first thing these apps do is a "Device Scan" where they search the network looking for a connected TV. Multiple times trying the Device Scan using both apps on both TVs failed to find a TV on the network.

I got out my old Droid Turbo, powered it up and tried the LG remote control apps--and I was able to instantly connect to each TV using the appropriate app for that TV.

I tried my Pixel 2 XL again, and this time it worked! I don't know why it works, I just know that it is working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs