I just ordered a Pixel 2 XL, a couple of questions

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I’ve always had Samsung S series phones in the past, I’m coming from a S7. My present phone still works fine, but after a couple years the battery doesn’t last as long as it used to. I’m always open to different brands, and with all of the Samsung phones having curved screens now, that put them in the back seat. I was thinking of waiting a bit to see how the LG G7 was going to turn out, but who knows for sure when it will be released.

With the Pixel 2’s being on sale with Verizon that made my decision easier. I ordered a 128 g Pixel 2 XL from Best Buy and it should be in the end of next week. It will be my first bigger phone and my first non Samsung. I’m looking forward to playing with it and setting it up. I’ve always had Nova Prime, but I’ll give the stock launcher a chance first. I’ll probably use Blue Mail for email, and Textra for texting, and Swiftkey for my keyboard, love their dark themes.

I’ve order a Spigen Tough Armor case for it, like my last 2 phones and some extra charging cables. Speaking of charging, what is the 18 watt charging about? What other things will I need to know about that are different with this phone?

Thanks!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of charging, what is the 18 watt charging about?

This is USB-C PD (Power Delivery). To get the full charge rate, you need a PD-compatible charger and USB-C on both ends. If you don't don't have USB-C on both ends and you see "charging rapidly" on the phone the cable is built wrong and there is a risk of damaging either the charger or the phone.

I have a couple of Anker's desktop charge stations with four USB-A ports and a USB-C port, they are NOT USB-C PD compatible and getting the actual rapid charging from them is hit-and-miss with the Pixel 2 XL (my Nexus 6p reliably does rapid charging from them though). Just this morning I needed to unplug my phone and plug it back in a couple times to get the proper charge rate as initial indications were THREE HOURS from 56%. I believe they've updated these to support USB-C PD so this shouldn't be as much of an issue if I replace them.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
This is USB-C PD (Power Delivery). To get the full charge rate, you need a PD-compatible charger and USB-C on both ends. If you don't don't have USB-C on both ends and you see "charging rapidly" on the phone the cable is built wrong and there is a risk of damaging either the charger or the phone.

I have a couple of Anker's desktop charge stations with four USB-A ports and a USB-C port, they are NOT USB-C PD compatible and getting the actual rapid charging from them is hit-and-miss with the Pixel 2 XL (my Nexus 6p reliably does rapid charging from them though). Just this morning I needed to unplug my phone and plug it back in a couple times to get the proper charge rate as initial indications were THREE HOURS from 56%. I believe they've updated these to support USB-C PD so this shouldn't be as much of an issue if I replace them.
I've definitely got to read up on this. If it's 18 watts, and USB is 5 volts, that's 3.6 amps. I think my other chargers are 2.2 amps at the most.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've definitely got to read up on this. If it's 18 watts, and USB is 5 volts, that's 3.6 amps. I think my other chargers are 2.2 amps at the most.

Doesn't mean they WON'T work, the PD spec allows for "negotiation" of the charge rate, but if you don't have a USB-C charger it might not even do the 2.2 amps rate with a to-spec cable. You don't HAVE to charge at 18 watts, it'll display "charging rapidly" as low as 10W, but it'll still be half the speed of the full charge rate. Also - the 18W charge is only the initial boost, to get you a quick bump, as the battery charges the rate tapers off.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I've always used Nova Prime for my launcher, never cared for TouchWiz.

That is besides the point actually. Samsung's software is still running your phone and you will notice some things you used to be able to do will be gone. For example, a screenshot editor that comes stock with Samsung but oddly no where to be seen on a stock Pixel. Little things like this. Nothing life changing but noticeable. Hope you enjoy your new phone, I still use my S7 proudly =)

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Funnily enough, my nova ported across from my S7 when I did the data transfer after I bought the phone. It installed itself and all I needed to do was tweak it a little to suit the new phone and I was away. but because of this, I've never actually seen the stock Pixel launcher. seems silly after buying it. does anyone recommend winding back to stock or stick with Nova?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That is besides the point actually. Samsung's software is still running your phone and you will notice some things you used to be able to do will be gone. For example, a screenshot editor that comes stock with Samsung but oddly no where to be seen on a stock Pixel. Little things like this. Nothing life changing but noticeable. Hope you enjoy your new phone, I still use my S7 proudly =)

You can edit screenshotsp after saving them to your phone or you can install a third party app to snip whatever you want ahead of time.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
You can edit screenshotsp after saving them to your phone or you can install a third party app to snip whatever you want ahead of time.

Hence why I said stock. I know you can pretty much get a 3rd party app to do most things Samsung phones do but you can never trust the reliability 100%. Kind of like when I tried to get an AOD on the pixel 1. It worked...sometimes. Then had crazy battery drain and other issues.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

Even with the proper cable and brick, you will not get the full 18w that the included brick provides. The battery caps it at 10w.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hence why I said stock. I know you can pretty much get a 3rd party app to do most things Samsung phones do but you can never trust the reliability 100%. Kind of like when I tried to get an AOD on the pixel 1. It worked...sometimes. Then had crazy battery drain and other issues.

I would agree on something like an AOD that a third party app might be problematic.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
does anyone recommend winding back to stock or stick with Nova?

Depends. If you swipe right from your home screen on your Nova setup how many screens to you have? Because with the stock launcher you get one screen and it's reserved for Google stuff. In other words, you won't be able to customize the far left screen on your launcher.

I used the stock launcher for a day and went back to Nova.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I’ve always had Samsung S series phones in the past, I’m coming from a S7. My present phone still works fine, but after a couple years the battery doesn’t last as long as it used to. I’m always open to different brands, and with all of the Samsung phones having curved screens now, that put them in the back seat. I was thinking of waiting a bit to see how the LG G7 was going to turn out, but who knows for sure when it will be released.

With the Pixel 2’s being on sale with Verizon that made my decision easier. I ordered a 128 g Pixel 2 XL from Best Buy and it should be in the end of next week. It will be my first bigger phone and my first non Samsung. I’m looking forward to playing with it and setting it up. I’ve always had Nova Prime, but I’ll give the stock launcher a chance first. I’ll probably use Blue Mail for email, and Textra for texting, and Swiftkey for my keyboard, love their dark themes.

I’ve order a Spigen Tough Armor case for it, like my last 2 phones and some extra charging cables. Speaking of charging, what is the 18 watt charging about? What other things will I need to know about that are different with this phone?

Thanks!
Just ordered a pixel today myself but I've been an avid Gboard user for awhile. I recommend giving Gboard a shot first. I also love Textra but Android messages is pretty solid too.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Only thing I don't like is the colors it produces. I can change them yes but it's a hassle. I just don't like to color change. I'd like the option to keep a solid color.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Funnily enough, my nova ported across from my S7 when I did the data transfer after I bought the phone. It installed itself and all I needed to do was tweak it a little to suit the new phone and I was away. but because of this, I've never actually seen the stock Pixel launcher. seems silly after buying it. does anyone recommend winding back to stock or stick with Nova?

Stick with Nova....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I always use Nova when using any Android Phone.. except Pixels. I just keep the stock one for these phones.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I see is if you want to root the phone or install TWRP on it - the Verizon variant is locked. The Google variant isn't and can be rooted, TWRPed, you can change ROMs, etc - and it works fine on Verizon (although I'm on Fi - better for my usage pattern).