I just ordered a Pixel 2 XL, a couple of questions

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
You'll need to know that you'll be on stock Android versus TouchWiz, which means a lot of features you're probably used to will be gone.
You will miss TouchWiz for the extra bells and whistles. However, Oreo experience on Pixel is phenomenal in terms of speed and processing.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I had both phones in hand, and after 5 days of tinkering, the PIXEL FINALLY won out. Also, the Pixel has experienced a 4 foot drop at this point, and is fine with not a mark. I truly believe the s9 plus would have cracked. I am very happy with the Pixel, and It is very tweakable.

NewArtDroid

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Droid Turbo 2 user here, about to order by Google Pixel 2 XL from Best Buy. Hope I like it. I like my weather thing on the home screen.

Does one need to buy a separate 18 W charger?

Also, what about screen protectors? My Droid Turbo 2 had shatter proof glass, but don' think Google Pixel 2XL has that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Droid Turbo 2 user here, about to order by Google Pixel 2 XL from Best Buy. Hope I like it. I like my weather thing on the home screen.

Does one need to buy a separate 18 W charger?

Also, what about screen protectors? My Droid Turbo 2 had shatter proof glass, but don' think Google Pixel 2XL has that.

You only need the charger that comes with it. No shatterproof screen. There are screen protectors out that work. Tempered Glass partial coverage full adhesive, Tempered Glass full coverage partial adhesive and plastic film wet applied full coverage.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The charger that comes with it is 18 Watts (9 Volts at 2 Amps). (It's only 15 Watts at 5 Volts [3 Amps], but that's how chargers are rated.)

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I've always used Nova on my phone until I got Pixel launcher. I love how simple and intuitive Pixel launcher is. Nova definitely lets you tinker with things a lot more, but I prefer Pixel now, feels like Nova is always trying to keep up by adding the newest Pixel features.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I was suppose to pick up my Pixel 2 XL 128 go today, but there is an order delay. I spoke with a Best Buy representative and they don’t know when they will be able to fulfill the order. Google isn’t giving them any idea of when to expect any. So, I may or may not be getting a Pixel 2 XL now. I’m very disappointed in Google and am thinking that may be representative of the customer service?

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I had a similar situation -- ordered through the local Best Buy store on March 17 to take advantage of the extra discount promotion, was told that the phone was scheduled to be delivered on March 30, then got a message on March 30 that the delivery was delayed and they would keep the order open to April 29 unless I wanted to cancel it. I had about decided to cancel the order and go buy the device at Verizon when I received a message from Best Buy the next morning, March 31, advising that my phone had been delivered and was ready for pickup. Which I did.

Obviously, I can't predict that your order will arrive within the next few days, as mine did. But don't be surprised if it does.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I had a similar situation -- ordered through the local Best Buy store on March 17 to take advantage of the extra discount promotion, was told that the phone was scheduled to be delivered on March 30, then got a message on March 30 that the delivery was delayed and they would keep the order open to April 29 unless I wanted to cancel it. I had about decided to cancel the order and go buy the device at Verizon when I received a message from Best Buy the next morning, March 31, advising that my phone had been delivered and was ready for pickup. Which I did.

Obviously, I can't predict that your order will arrive within the next few days, as mine did. But don't be surprised if it does.

Good info. I’m keeping the order open for now while I check with Verizon and see if they have them in stock. I had ordered mine on March 19th. The local Best Buy store was closed today, so It’s possible they have it and the guy manning the 888# just gave me the stock answer?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was suppose to pick up my Pixel 2 XL 128 go today, but there is an order delay. I spoke with a Best Buy representative and they don’t know when they will be able to fulfill the order. Google isn’t giving them any idea of when to expect any. So, I may or may not be getting a Pixel 2 XL now. I’m very disappointed in Google and am thinking that may be representative of the customer service?

I wouldn't blame Google for Best Buy issues. Google customer service has been top notch from my experience

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Good info. I’m keeping the order open for now while I check with Verizon and see if they have them in stock. I had ordered mine on March 19th. The local Best Buy store was closed today, so It’s possible they have it and the guy manning the 888# just gave me the stock answer?
That's extremely possible. Could be it's there but hasn't been updated with the holiday and all. At least I hope that's the issue. Hope it shows up for you.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

You can't blame Google for Best Buy's poor customer service. I will only buy directly from Google where I know I get quality service.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
You can't blame Google for Best Buy's poor customer service. I will only buy directly from Google where I know I get quality service.

I just looked on Google. They want $1000 for the same phone. I’m trying to buy from Best Buy because they had it on sale. I’m not buying last years phone with the 835 chipset and a mediocre display for $1000, even if it has a great camera and the “pure Android experience”. I’m not a brand loyalty type of guy, I’m a best bang for my buck type of guy.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I just looked on Google. They want $1000 for the same phone. I’m trying to buy from Best Buy because they had it on sale. I’m not buying last years phone with the 835 chipset and a mediocre display for $1000, even if it has a great camera and the “pure Android experience”. I’m not a brand loyalty type of guy, I’m a best bang for my buck type of guy.
You just missed it. The XL was on sale for 200 off through March 31st.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It came out in October and is the current model so I would hardly call it last year's phone.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Why are you buying it at all if that's how you feel about it? You sound sour because Best Buy doesn't have your new toy in stock lol

What chipset the phone has isn't really all that relevant, what's relevant is how the phone optimizes the use of the chipset.

The display is also not mediocre, even if Samsung's is nicer ;)

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Haha, I just got an email from BB telling me my phone is ready for pickup! I think they're tracking system isn't very high tech if they couldn't tell me where my order was.