I have the regular Pixel 2 - I don't use this particular functionality often but on my old Pixel XL, sometimes when driving I'd use "OK Google" to send a text or read a new incoming text out loud. I've had my Pixel 2 since a few months after launch - recently I've had a few occasions while driving when a text would come in & I say "OK Google, read new text - or - read incoming text - or - read new text from <name>" (I've tried MANY different ways) and she always says "nope" (there are no new texts, no texts from <name> etc.) I *think* if I just say "read texts" she's supposed to read the last 5 texts - that doesn't work either.

I use Textra for texting, I checked my permissions & I think everything is correct - I'm still able to have her send texts using voice - but she refuses to read any new texts - or any texts at all. I've also tried changing back to the stock messenger, same thing happens.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing? I know I can always do a factory reset, & probably will in the near future just for the fun of it - but I'd rather not do it just to fix this when I don't even know if it's just a setting that's not right.
    03-23-2018 01:30 PM
    OK, I think I figured this out - it took me 2 factory resets & re-setting everything up before I realized it was apparently operator error. Yesterday during all my fun of resetting & reinstalling apps, setting up my options again, I discovered I had un-checked a very important box under the Google app, then Settings, then Personal - I had unchecked a lot of the boxes on that screen because I don't like it when I do a search & my phone gives me an email or app or whatever - but when I unchecked the SMS box on that screen - I lost the ability to have it read me any of my texts.

It looks like I solved my problem, although it was apparently my own darned fault
    GSDer and TraderGary like this.
    03-25-2018 06:56 PM
    Good that you found the problem and also good that you posted the solution to help others that might have done the same thing.
    Hypnotoadd likes this.
    03-26-2018 12:59 AM