Really want to keep my Pixel 2 XL but I can't get over how terrible the messaging is (iMessage)

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
So I recently switched from an iPhone 7+ to the Pixel 2 XL and LOVE the phone, the UI, the CAMERA, BUT...I can't get over how terrible the messaging is going away from iMessage...90% of who I text use iPhone and sending photos and videos is becoming a deal breaker for me. When my wife sends me a video of the kids for instance, it's getting scaled down since it's going over MMS and I receive it as a thumbnail sized grainy video that looks like it's being sent from the year 2003.

What work around have people found for sharing videos and photos with iPhone users that doesn't require the iPhone user to download specific software JUST for messaging with me. I've thought about sharing through Google Photos but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I REALLY want to keep this phone but if I can't figure out a way to work around the messaging issue I think I'm going to end up returning it and going back to the iPhone...

Teach me your Android ways and help me keep this awesome phone!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Really want to keep my Pixel 2 XL but...

So I recently switched from an iPhone 7+ to the Pixel 2 XL and LOVE the phone, the UI, the CAMERA, BUT...I can't get over how terrible the messaging is going away from iMessage...90% of who I text use iPhone and sending photos and videos is becoming a deal breaker for me. When my wife sends me a video of the kids for instance, it's getting scaled down since it's going over MMS and I receive it as a thumbnail sized grainy video that looks like it's being sent from the year 2003.

What work around have people found for sharing videos and photos with iPhone users that doesn't require the iPhone user to download specific software JUST for messaging with me. I've thought about sharing through Google Photos but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I REALLY want to keep this phone but if I can't figure out a way to work around the messaging issue I think I'm going to end up returning it and going back to the iPhone...

You have options...the issue is getting your family of iOS users to download what they need on their end. They need to send the videos through Google photos or Whatsapp.

I use the stock messaging app for texting and pics.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Yeah good luck. Its what keeps me from using an Android phone as my daily driver. I hate emailing pics to family it's a stupid thing to deal with. If apple would only add like a paid version of iMessage to Android. They never would bc of people like us that keep an iPhone around for iMessage. 🤔

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Yeah good luck. Its what keeps me from using an Android phone as my daily driver. I hate emailing pics to family it's a stupid thing to deal with. If apple would only add like a paid version of iMessage to Android. They never would bc of people like us that keep an iPhone around for iMessage. 🤔

When most of your friends and family are still on the plantation, it's tough to run away. Apples control issues is what kept be from every getting anything from Apple--except a USB A to USB C in an emergency--$45.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

When most of your friends and family are still on the plantation, it's tough to run away. Apples control issues is what kept be from every getting anything from Apple--except a USB A to USB C in an emergency--$45.
Yup and once you are controlled by Apple, it's hard to leave. I just left...I miss the ecosystem and that's about it. I'm actually enjoying my pixel and finally feel like I broke free from being tied down by Apple.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Yup and once you are controlled by Apple, it's hard to leave. I just left...I miss the ecosystem and that's about it. I'm actually enjoying my pixel and finally feel like I broke free from being tied down by Apple.

Though it works, I just never liked being tied to Itunes for my music and having to jump through hoops to manage files. I know there are ways around all that, however I just find that the file system is easier to navigate on Android. I have an Iphone for work and an Ipad Air but lately I don'T turn on the Ipad much. The rest of my family is on IOS, however not having facetime is OK because I just use the work phone for that. I get along fine without Imessage too.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Though it works, I just never liked being tied to Itunes for my music and having to jump through hoops to manage files. I know there are ways around all that, however I just find that the file system is easier to navigate on Android. I have an Iphone for work and an Ipad Air but lately I don'T turn on the Ipad much. The rest of my family is on IOS, however not having facetime is OK because I just use the work phone for that. I get along fine without Imessage too.
One can definitely make do without iMessage and FaceTime. I have an iPad so I can use that for FaceTime with family. I just want to use a phone that I enjoy on a daily basis and not get so bored with. Everyone's iPhone looks the same, whether your 15 years old or 70 years old, same layout, same look, blah.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

For photos and pics, Google photos is the way to go even if you use iOS. Best and pretty easy to share stuff etc.
As far messaging, not much anyone can do unless you have them start using Whatsapp, messenger, duo, Allo or whatever cross platform solution. Personally, thank god I don't have the iMessage issue. I always share my Google voice number to everyone and I do use iPhone as well for daily driver often. Sure I won't be a blue bubble even if I'm using iPhone but give zero ****s about that

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site

I too have recently moved from an iPhone 6+ to a Pixel 2xl. Love it, but yes not having iMessage is a pain but to be honest for me it's been a very seemless change. Texting and photos you can use the stock messaging app, nothing is scaled down at all....just recently sent 9 pics to a friend and my wife sent me 4 and both people have iPhones. Everything was sent and received with no problems.

Videos on the other hand you can not send through the stock messages app.....but there are ways around it...I use WhatsApp, Facebook messenger and my wife and I have a Google photos account now that I have a Pixel 2xl, so everything is shared between us.

Give it a chance and just ask your family to work with you on this. Hope it gets easier....have any questions let me know.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

One can definitely make do without iMessage and FaceTime. I have an iPad so I can use that for FaceTime with family. I just want to use a phone that I enjoy on a daily basis and not get so bored with. Everyone's iPhone looks the same, whether your 15 years old or 70 years old, same layout, same look, blah.
Damn...that's true.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

I have a couple of Apple watches and keep my iphone for them. I facetime my daughter and iMessage her and my friend who has my iPhone 6. But my daughter uses Discord so I can message and call and video call her using that on my Pixel 2 XL.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site

I use WhatsApp for multi media messaging, always has good quality both ends and use Google duo for the facetime equivalent. simples!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

People I know with iPhones we just text pics back and forth no problem. Just use the regular messaging app. Just because it's iPhone means imessage? Nah.
I use an iPhone sometimes for a switch and use regular sms to android and vice-versa. I don't get the critical need that imessage is a must have feature.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

The google photos thing works well, then it's clicking a link and much better or just share through the app and you get a notification and it's available in your app. Otherwise, using an actual messenger service such as telegram can work if you're talking about one or two people, but I wouldn't recommend trying to convert your whole contact list. As you said, not that viable of a solution if you're the only person they'll know with that service. An option you might not have considered, most of your contact list probably has facebook messenger. The simplest method though is Google photos.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

As a Graduate teacher, my little sister shared an awesome tip with me. If you both use facebook, the messenger app is capable of sending much larger files than most messaging apps, much faster! Try it out! I use it for large documents as well, and it is MUCH faster than other things, including getting things to my desktop! I have used messenger for a long time, but did not realize it was THAT capable.

Last edited:

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

As a Graduate teacher, my little sister shared an awesome trick with me. If you both use facebook, the messenger app is capable of sending much larger files than most messaging apps, much faster! Try it out! I use it for large documents as well, and it is MUCH faster than other things, including getting things to my desktop!
But then you have to use Facebook and not everyone is on there

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech