HDR videos crashing Youtube app on latest update

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Can some of you do me a favour please?

The latest update of Youtube on my Pixel 2 XL is version 13.10.59.

Any HDR 4K video I try to play (from this channel, for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g) crashes the app. It just closes with a message Youtube has stopped.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this, and found that if I uninstall the updates to the app, which brings it down to version 12.17.41, the problem goes away, and I can play those videos fine.

Could someone please try some of those videos on your phone and let me know the results, and what version of Youtube app you have installed?

A few more details here too: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/5od2ykYR8rs;context-place=forum/youtube

Many thanks.

Last edited:

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Mine doesn't even start, it momentarily freezes, then crashes. Are you on version 13.10.59?

Thanks again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The latest update of Youtube on my Pixel 2 XL is version 13.10.59.
I have the same version of YouTube on my Pixel 2 XL and the first video played just fine. I have no idea what's supposed to be shown for a 4K video so I attached a screenshot of the video quality report.
195cdb785ba144d7509145dde5eddc28.jpg

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for checking...

Mine still crashes. :( Hopefully someone on the official Google Youtube forum has a suggestion or an idea on how to get this sorted out.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You have to go into the settings of YouTube and turn on the toggle. This way it gives you an option on videos to turn it on/off (it will put it near the quality setting for videos).
Thanks!
Forgive my ignorance but none of these videos appear to meet the definition of '4K', at least, not based on the the playback stats. What am I missing?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!
Forgive my ignorance but none of these videos appear to meet the definition of '4K', at least, not based on the the playback stats. What am I missing?

TBH I don't think the phone can display 4k HDR. That is why we can select quality up to 1080P HDR.

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
@OP, FWIW I received a YouTube update to 13.11.59 today and that works fine as well.

Yep, I received that update too, and was hopeful, but alas, it still crashes. Downgrading the app all the way down to version 12.17.41 (presumably the version installed at factory) "fixes" the problem.

I really don't get it. It does the same under safe mode too... Is the actual phone faulty??? :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It does the same under safe mode too... Is the actual phone faulty??? :(
Although it's a pain to do it I'd suggest the following: perform a Factory Reset, but setup as new and immediately go into the Google Play Store and turn off automatic updates. Then update just the YouTube app to the current version and see if the problem still occurs. If it does then something is buggered up with your hardware.