Why am I no longer able to mute specific text message threads?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Im on my second pixel 2 (I didn't have a case on the first one and I'm terrible with phones long story short), the first one I had no major issues with. This time around, im no longer able to mute specific conversations in the SMS app. Has anyone else been having this issue, is there a way to fix it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that you can't find where to mute specific conversations, or that it's not working? If the former, when you're in a conversation select the three dots in the upper right corner then select 'People & options' then 'Block'
If the latter then I'm not sure - I've never had occasion to use that feature.
This all presupposes that you're using the stock Android Messages application.

parthtc09

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
No, i have the same issue/question as the OP. If you held down the thread it use to have the option to allow you to archive and or mute the conversation. So if a message came in it wouldnt make a notification sound. The mute icon is no longer there.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Im on my second pixel 2 (I didn't have a case on the first one and I'm terrible with phones long story short), the first one I had no major issues with. This time around, im no longer able to mute specific conversations in the SMS app. Has anyone else been having this issue, is there a way to fix it?

I'm assuming you are using the google messages application. I don't use that as my default SMS application. What I would suggest is using Textra SMS (download from google play store). It is highly customizable and it allows you to mute specific conversations. You can also blacklist certain contacts within the Textra application; this allows you to completely silence any text messages from any contact that are on your blacklist. They will not appear in your list of text messaging conversations. If you decide to unblacklist them, then any previous messages that were sent by that person would then appear in your list of conversations. It's a handy feature from Textra.

Matt Garza

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
I also I have the same issue. It just disappeared. It was a nifty function for group chats (if you get annoyed by them as I do.) Anyone don't a real solution other than downloading a third party messaging service?

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just spoke with Google support. As part of their new update that feature is gone

I don't believe this feature is gone, it makes no sense to remove such a basic feature from the messages app.

I had this issue and chatted with support. They had me clear all data, all cache, uninstall the app, and re-install it, and the mute button magically appeared. Now, it has magically disappeared once more. So we found a bug in the most recent upgrade of the app, and at least Google is aware of it if a bunch of us have asked about it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else been having this issue, is there a way to fix it?
No, i have the same issue/question as the OP. If you held down the thread it use to have the option to allow you to archive and or mute the conversation. So if a message came in it wouldnt make a notification sound. The mute icon is no longer there.
Just spoke with Google support. As part of their new update that feature is gone
That appears to be the case.
it makes no sense to remove such a basic feature from the messages app.
It may not make any sense but this is Google we're talking about...
If any of you want that feature back simply 'Uninstall updates' from within the Settings app; that'll roll back to the original version which has that functionality. Be sure to turn off automatic updates in the Google Play Store and don't accept any manual updates to the app. Screenshot showing the original version below.
549f41ea8e42b6a149c0cd0941d02aae.jpg

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That appears to be the case.It may not make any sense but this is Google we're talking about...
If any of you want that feature back simply 'Uninstall updates' from within the Settings app; that'll roll back to the original version which has that functionality. Be sure to turn off automatic updates in the Google Play Store and don't accept any manual updates to the app. Screenshot showing the original version below. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180429/549f41ea8e42b6a149c0cd0941d02aae.jpg

I still don't buy that Google removed the feature. When I spoke with support they did not seem to know why the issue was happening. The rep had access to my screen and we cleared cache, cleared all data, uninstalled, reinstalled the app from the play store (with updates), restarted the phone, and the feature was back (for a short time). I still think it's just a bug until I find something official from Google.

Greg Schmid

May 21, 2018
Visit site
I still don't buy that Google removed the feature. When I spoke with support they did not seem to know why the issue was happening. The rep had access to my screen and we cleared cache, cleared all data, uninstalled, reinstalled the app from the play store (with updates), restarted the phone, and the feature was back (for a short time). I still think it's just a bug until I find something official from Google.

If you select the 3dot option button on the top right of the group mms conversation, then select People and options. On next screen then choose Notifications. From there you can change the priority, or use the slider defaulted to on, to off, which will effectively mute it. Decreasing the priority offers different options short of the full mute.

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I got confirmation from a support rep after they researched it that Google did indeed remove the feature (at least, the more convenient feature to mute a conversation while highlighted, which makes little sense when you think about it). If anyone has *ceased* having this issue with the most recent update to Android Messages, I am holding off on updating until and unless I know the issue has been addressed.

If you select the 3dot option button on the top right of the group mms conversation, then select People and options. On next screen then choose Notifications. From there you can change the priority, or use the slider defaulted to on, to off, which will effectively mute it. Decreasing the priority offers different options short of the full mute.

We know how to do it when digging into the settings, and this is not limited to group conversations. The issue is, Google removed the ease of muting without having to dig into the settings of an individual conversation, and with plenty of real estate on the top bar when highlighting a conversation, there doesn't appear to have been a need to remove the mute button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vannerd Sowden

May 25, 2018
Visit site
I also have this problem on my Nokia 8 and Xperia Z5

I do not want to block the message, I just want to mute it. It is a report that comes through every hour 24/7

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I do not want to block the message, I just want to mute it. It is a report that comes through every hour 24/7
Why don't you just use the settings to change the sound for that particular 'user' (since it seems to be an automated system) to 'None'? In the Messages app, open that particular thread, select the hamburger menu in the upper right corner, choose 'People & options', then 'Notifications', then 'Behavior' and choose 'Show silently'.
Or you can fiddle with the Advanced settings to get just the outcome you desire.

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just use the settings to change the sound for that particular 'user' (since it seems to be an automated system) to 'None'? In the Messages app, open that particular thread, select the hamburger menu in the upper right corner, choose 'People & options', then 'Notifications', then 'Behavior' and choose 'Show silently'.
Or you can fiddle with the Advanced settings to get just the outcome you desire.

already addressed - we understand the setting still exists, but there was no reason to take away the easy to access mute option after long-pressing a conversation. Digging into the settings for each individual conversation on an as-needed basis is too cumbersome for many. Given the mute button was not replaced with anything and there is plenty of real estate on the top bar when long-pressing a conversation to select one or more, the change makes no sense at all.

nmhossain02

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site

Turns out if you go to messages for web, the mute option is still there. At least there's a temporary work-around.

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
already addressed - we understand the setting still exists, but there was no reason to take away the easy to access mute option after long-pressing a conversation. Digging into the settings for each individual conversation on an as-needed basis is too cumbersome for many. Given the mute button was not replaced with anything and there is plenty of real estate on the top bar when long-pressing a conversation to select one or more, the change makes no sense at all.

They temporarily brought back the feature in an update a couple years back, but sure enough, here I am three years later googling the same issue with the Messaging app. Why can't Google leave well enough alone, the mute function worked fine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze