Pixel 2 Touch issue?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting an iPhone X that I absolutely love but I still use my Galaxy S7 as well. I won't say that I am on board with Apple, since I haven't used an iPhone as a daily driver since the 3GS, but I am impressed for now. After going through about 18 android phones over the past two years, I thought I should try something drastic.
Ah, that's a lot of phones. I'm not there yet but I've went through several in the last year myself and I'm starting to get fed up. I can't do apple yet. I get irritated just trying to help my wife with her phone or iPad occasionally.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Ah, that's a lot of phones. I'm not there yet but I've went through several in the last year myself and I'm starting to get fed up. I can't do apple yet. I get irritated just trying to help my wife with her phone or iPad occasionally.

Yeah man, the main irritation is how many times they ask you to put in your apple id password lol. Its like damn Apple, you already have my FACE on ID...But I guess more security is never a bad thing...just an annoyance that I can live with.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Update on the touch issue, found a thread on XDA, it appears if you disable the "squeeze for assistant" as I have been doing it effects the touch accuracy & response.
Do you have a link to that thread? I disabled that feature and haven't seen the problems you're having but I'd like to check it out.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I know, the squeeze is the one that worked for me. Been typing on this thing a lot texting with the wife the last couple hours and it's been good.

I spent some time testing my Pixel 2 XL for touch sensitivity. I know your issue is with the Pixel 2, but I wanted to test and see if there could be the same issue with the 2 XL.

My touch sensitivity has worked very well in the 6 months I've had it with Active Edge turned ON. I did an extended test with Active Edge (squeeze) turned OFF and for me there was no difference whatsoever. My touch sensitivity continues to be excellent whether Active Edge is ON or OFF.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I spent some time testing my Pixel 2 XL for touch sensitivity. I know your issue is with the Pixel 2, but I wanted to test and see if there could be the same issue with the 2 XL.

My touch sensitivity has worked very well in the 6 months I've had it with Active Edge turned ON. I did an extended test with Active Edge (squeeze) turned OFF and for me there was no difference whatsoever. My touch sensitivity continues to be excellent whether Active Edge is ON or OFF.

That's really weird and I can't explain it but that's the only thing I changed and the thing has been flawless today. It makes no sense whatsoever to me why that would even affect it or be linked to touch response it be model specific when the software should be the same between the two models.

Last edited:

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I still contacted Google told them there's a problem so they agreed to send me one more I'm going to give it one more try then I'm getting something else I guess. What that would be.... I got no idea where to go.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there is a lot of LG apps and a few carrier apps to. It's not as bad as Samsung but still quite a bit. It's not terrible but it still takes away from the experience.

Update on the touch issue, found a thread on XDA, it appears if you disable the "squeeze for assistant" as I have been doing it effects the touch accuracy & response. So I turned it back on and cranked the sensitivity all the way up so I wouldn't trigger it accidentally every time I pick up the phone as I had been and so far (fingers crossed) since last night that seems to have fixed the issue. I'll give it a couple of days but there is a noticeable improvement so far.

Ah yes, Samsung is notorious for duplicate apps/plenty of bloatware. And I definitely understand how the amount of bloatware can negatively affect your experience.

That's awesome! So glad things are going better for you! Wahoo!

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on my third Pixel 2. The touch is pretty good on this one. One thing I noticed different about this one was that it came with the February update on it, the first two had September on 8.0. After looking up the manufacturing date on all three the first two were built in Taiwan back in mid September of 2017. The third one was built in a different factory in Taiwan and was built a few weeks ago in February. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but as someone who works with several manufacturing facilities myself for work, I can tell you early runs always are working out any kinks and you will generally get different levels of quality depending on who builds it and when. Its been true of cars for decades. You don't want one built on Monday or Friday. Again, there were no visible differences but there must be something to it.

That said. I have 12 days left in my return window and I'm still on the fence about keeping this thing. I just don't love the hardware. I pulled out my LG G6 this morning and while the software isn't as clean, it just feels better. I can't explain it, but there's something to be said for liking the hardware to, no matter how good the software is. I really don't know. The few pictures I've taken haven't blown me away either so that's not swaying me so far. I'm not trying to bash the Pixel 2 but, I'm just not sure the value is there for what I spent.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I just don't love the hardware. I pulled out my LG G6 this morning and while the software isn't as clean, it just feels better. I can't explain it, but there's something to be said for liking the hardware to, no matter how good the software is. I really don't know.

You know as much as I love the Pixel brand, I'm one of the first to state that it's not for everybody. I think sometimes we really like our personal devices and want everyone else to love them as much as we do. That's simply not reality.

Pixels are built, and will always be built, to showcase software. The software side will always be at it's core and that's not for everyone. Thank heavens that we're on Android where we have a cornucopia of choices.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck with it and I hope you get the right device for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol