New Pixel owner looking for a dark theme

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey all! Just got my Pixel 2 XL and wondering if a dark theme is available & where? Had my Note 5 set up with a dark theme from the Samsung store and not sure where to look for my new Pixel.
Thanks!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you might need to install a 3rd party launcher to get any theme choices. If you want to try that the options are many. Otherwise on stock there are still lots of options other than changing the whole theme.

LifeInAnalog

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
.. don't forget that the stock pixel launcher will automatically switch to a dark theme if the wallpaper you've chosen is dark..but there's no setting to manually set it.

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've used Nova on my last 2 phones so I'm familiar with it. However I've not used a theme for Nova, didn't know that even existed. I did see some themes in the Play store but most I saw are listed for phones other than the Pixel. Will any theme for Nova work with my new Pixel? Does anyone have a favorite?

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
.. don't forget that the stock pixel launcher will automatically switch to a dark theme if the wallpaper you've chosen is dark..but there's no setting to manually set it.

Thanks, I wasn't aware or that. I tried a solid black out of the wallpaper gallery and it worked. But the dark theme won't stay when changing to my favorite wallpaper. I'd like to have my favorite wallpaper & keep the dark theme. Anyone else going the dark theme Nova route?

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
If you're looking for a dark theme on anything other than the launcher, rootless Andromeda+Substratum themes still work on Oreo. In fact, black notifications actually look good now that Google has tamed the ugly transparency that used to futz up the look of a black lockscreen.

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking for a dark theme on anything other than the launcher, rootless Andromeda+Substratum themes still work on Oreo. In fact, black notifications actually look good now that Google has tamed the ugly transparency that used to futz up the look of a black lockscreen.

I did a quick Google search for dark themes & saw mention of that but I don't understand what it is or how to execute it. Plus I saw something about Android P is not going to allow it.

I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to get a dark theme on a Pixel. It was easy on my Note 5.

It sounds like from the previous posts that Nova is the easiest way to go. I may have to try that but still not clear on which apps work with a Pixel & which dont.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your Pixel 2! Share some setups with your dark theme when you have everything set up!

Also, the Zedge app is a great place for ringtones, notifications, wallpapers, and icon packs - I'm sure you'll find plenty of dark icon packs/wallpapers there as well!

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I did a quick Google search for dark themes & saw mention of that but I don't understand what it is or how to execute it. Plus I saw something about Android P is not going to allow it.
It's not overly complicated, but it does involve some downloading, tethering to a computer and monthly babysitting if you want to theme as many items as possible. It's not truly a set-it-and-forget-it kind of option.

But as for what's true for Android P, we're not even close to knowing what we're going to get come October. I'm hoping the beta team just laid the smackdown on theming for the early run of beta releases for P because they feel they have better things to worry about/get feedback on than problems caused by overlays.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The Pixel Launcher (default) on the Pixel 2 will automatically theme to a color based on your wallpaper.

If you are using a predominantly "black" wallpaper, or a wallpaper without a lot of color, your notification pull down and your app drawer will automatically take on a dark theme. Similarly, if you use a brightly colored wallpaper it will take on a lighter theme. This will also effect the color of the Google logo in the search bar displayed on your home screen.

I used Nova for a long time, but don't feel a need for it anymore with Pixel Launcher. Nova certainly gives you a lot of options if you want to resize the screen, use custom icons, that sort of thing, but I think Google has knocked it out of the park with the Pixel Launcher on this phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel Launcher (default) on the Pixel 2 will automatically theme to a color based on your wallpaper.

If you are using a predominantly "black" wallpaper, or a wallpaper without a lot of color, your notification pull down and your app drawer will automatically take on a dark theme. Similarly, if you use a brightly colored wallpaper it will take on a lighter theme. This will also effect the color of the Google logo in the search bar displayed on your home screen.

I used Nova for a long time, but don't feel a need for it anymore with Pixel Launcher. Nova certainly gives you a lot of options if you want to resize the screen, use custom icons, that sort of thing, but I think Google has knocked it out of the park with the Pixel Launcher on this phone.

I totally forgot that Google's Pixel Launcher was so intuitive to one's wallpaper choice - thanks for reminding me!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01