Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?

drakey86

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello AC,

Currently looking to upgrade from my iPhone 6s. At the moment it's a toss-up between the Google Pixel 2XL or the iPhone 8 Plus. Since I'm too indecisive, I thought I'd let random strangers on the internet decide:

Here are my general thoughts:
- P2XL has always on display, and the 'now playing' is neat
- Love the panda model. It's really unique and stands out from all the shiny glass phones on the market
- Would miss iMessage but not too 'locked in' that I couldn't transition to Android. However, I do prefer the proprietary nature of iOS and the font-choice for apps
- Worried about the QC issues with the P2XL. A lot of RMAs reported due to display problems, speaker rattling, connectivity issues etc. Never had to return an Apple product, their build quality is superb
- Willing to look past the blue-shift if mine's not too bad
- P2XL has best smartphone camera but not sure it will be an appreciable difference over 8Plus
- Could wait for the Pixel 3, but that's still six months away and there's no guarantee I'll like the new design

Thank you

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I, too, made the switch from an iPhone 6, and got the Pixel 2. I was nervous as well about making the switch, especially after my last Android experience, which was horrible (Galaxy S3). But ever since I've had my Pixel 2, I love my smartphone again and never once looked back.

If you, like me, already are using a bunch of Google apps and services, the integration is pretty amazing. Fur example, I almost never used Siri, because I never got the impression she could actually do stuff. The Google Assistant can, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

I find the build quality superb, but again, I can only speak to the Pixel 2, not the XL.

One thing I'd caution you about is the camera. In my opinion, the Pixel camera is vastly overrated. My iPhone 6 still takes better pictures in my experience.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Google's phones since the Nexus 5 and personally will not get phones from other marks for my personal use... I've dealt with Samsung's and LG's and I'm done with the headaches...

That being said, there really isn't a ton to distinguish between the pixel 2 and the 8+ to be honest... Both are excellent phones to use... Fast, reliable, etc.

The Pixel's camera is universally regarded as the benchmark for mobile photography, and my experience backs that up. I was at Universal Studios in Florida recently and the pics I have are incredible... The set up shots I took of my family actually look better than the ones taken by the park photographers and their DSLRs (i.e. quality is up to you, not the phone)... And it's about as reliable as you can get... Point (quickly), shoot, get great pic. As for it compared to the 8+, which I do not own, I defer to the near unanimous opinion of the online review community (and some of my peers here who have both) that rank the Pixels as better than Apple's offering. Not by a ton, but it does near everything just a tick better.

It has been, by far, the best phone I've used... No complaints.

It's really your preference... What ecosystem do you want to live in?

drakey86

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I, too, made the switch from an iPhone 6, and got the Pixel 2. I was nervous as well about making the switch, especially after my last Android experience, which was horrible (Galaxy S3). But ever since I've had my Pixel 2, I love my smartphone again and never once looked back.

If you, like me, already are using a bunch of Google apps and services, the integration is pretty amazing. Fur example, I almost never used Siri, because I never got the impression she could actually do stuff. The Google Assistant can, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

I find the build quality superb, but again, I can only speak to the Pixel 2, not the XL.

One thing I'd caution you about is the camera. In my opinion, the Pixel camera is vastly overrated. My iPhone 6 still takes better pictures in my experience.

Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah, unfortunately the P2 seems to have fewer problems than the P2XL. Probably due to the fact that the P2 was made by HTC with a Samsung panel, while the P2XL was made by LG.

I'm surprised you think the camera is overrated. I've heard nothing but praise from fans and critics alike.

It's really your preference... What ecosystem do you want to live in?

That's the thing. Aesthetically I prefer the P2XL (panda, always on display), but software wise it has to be iOS.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing. Aesthetically I prefer the P2XL (panda, always on display), but software wise it has to be iOS.

There have been plenty of write ups that say that the Pixel 2 is the closest you'll come to a iPhone like experience, whatever that means... But at the end of the day, if you prefer iOS, there is probably nothing that the Pixel will do to change your mind.. It's not that Apple is better, it's just what you prefer. The two platforms are just different ends to the same mean... And both do it incredibly well. I, personally, can't stand iOS... There are things inherant to the line that drive me batty... But I'm not going to assume everyone else has the same opinion.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello AC,

Currently looking to upgrade from my iPhone 6s. At the moment it's a toss-up between the Google Pixel 2XL or the iPhone 8 Plus. Since I'm too indecisive, I thought I'd let random strangers on the internet decide:

Here are my general thoughts:
- P2XL has always on display, and the 'now playing' is neat
- Love the panda model. It's really unique and stands out from all the shiny glass phones on the market
- Would miss iMessage but not too 'locked in' that I couldn't transition to Android. However, I do prefer the proprietary nature of iOS and the font-choice for apps
- Worried about the QC issues with the P2XL. A lot of RMAs reported due to display problems, speaker rattling, connectivity issues etc. Never had to return an Apple product, their build quality is superb
- Willing to look past the blue-shift if mine's not too bad
- P2XL has best smartphone camera but not sure it will be an appreciable difference over 8Plus
- Could wait for the Pixel 3, but that's still six months away and there's no guarantee I'll like the new design

Thank you

I'd go iPhone X. The 8 plus in red does look fire though. The 8 plus battery will prob be better than the pixel and the pixel camera is marginally better. If you are thinking of switching to Android and the no imessage or apple pay doesn't bother you than I'd say come on and join us! I love my pixel 2xl panda but I also have an iPhone for iMessage etc. I wouldn't worry at all about the QC issues. If you do get the pixel try out the Bluetooth asap to see if it works for you. Bluetooth issues are the thorn in the side of all the pixel 1&2s I've owned.

drakey86

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I'd go iPhone X. The 8 plus in red does look fire though. The 8 plus battery will prob be better than the pixel and the pixel camera is marginally better. If you are thinking of switching to Android and the no imessage or apple pay doesn't bother you than I'd say come on and join us! I love my pixel 2xl panda but I also have an iPhone for iMessage etc. I wouldn't worry at all about the QC issues. If you do get the pixel try out the Bluetooth asap to see if it works for you. Bluetooth issues are the thorn in the side of all the pixel 1&2s I've owned.

Thanks man. I should've said that the iPhone X isn't an option due to lack of fp scanner and that damn notch.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I own a 6s and a Pixel 2 XL. I only use my 6s for my Apple Watches (I have OG watch and Series 2 ) and for numbers. I am in the Apple ecosystem with a MacBook Air and Apple TV as well. But my Pixel 2 XL is my all-in smartphone.

The battery life is amazing. My screen has none of the issues others have described and the photos are amazing. It is fast and fluid and is the first time I have enjoyed using Android. I have tried Android since gingerbread and gave up after a dreadful S3 experience. Hated Lollipop and found marshmallow ok. I love oreo and the user experience is just lovely.

Google Assistant is much better than siri and cortana. In some ways she is better than Alexa as well.

In the end it is down to personal preference. I find ios boring. I am on the beta of 11.4 right now. iMessage is great but I prefer Allo. Facetime is fantastic and better than duo. But many of the apps just work better on Android Oreo and apps can be a lot cheaper too. I love the customisation of android too. Makes the phone mine not a clone of everyone else's. The fingerprint sensor is fast and accurate. Android Pay is better than apple Pay. Even though I always wear my watch I still use my Pixel to pay over my watch or my iphone.

Those are juat my thoughts. Good luck.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think both are excellent phones. I have one of each and find it harder and harder to stick with the iPhone and find myself using the P2 for longer and longer periods of time. Since both are excellent devices it boils down to which OS I want to be using and Android wins as it is so much more flexible which equates to a better experience overall. The iPhone is in a drawer and has assumed back up status. I never used iMessage BTW. Most people I know or care about messaging are using Android anyway. Flip a coin, if it lands on it's edge it's Apple.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I should've said that the iPhone X isn't an option due to lack of fp scanner and that damn notch.
That's unfortunate - I was thinking that the iPhone X would be the closest you'd get to a current Android flagship in terms of hardware similarities (OLED screen, wireless charging, etc) and would have the best performance from a software perspective so that it would last you several years.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I have a 2XL and iPhone 6S and the iPhone is not even close.....maybe under perfect conditions it comes closer

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using my wife's old(ish) iPhone 7 Plus until my 2XL arrives on Thursday. The last iPhone I owned was a 6 Plus then I transitioned back to Android with a Nexus 6. There are definitely aspects to both OS' and certainly they have become similar in many respects. Both have their advantages- iOS and iMessages, Google with Assistant and now camera. I'll admit that this iPhone 7 Plus is speedy, takes great photos, offers tight integration with Apple services and has fantastic build quality. The iPhone X is a good looking phone. I think that FaceID is a great new technology but many coworkers complain of misreads and actually having to look directly at the phone to unlock. Driving in cars with sunglasses on usually presents issues. Time will improve the tech. That said, the iPhone 8 Plus with the A11 chip and TouchID is a beast by any standards. The apps are well designed and more thoughtful in some instances, and others sometimes not as good as their Android relatives, but that is rare. Cameras are usually very good and consistent. My issues with iOS are still largely software. Notifications is a mess and iOS 11 has been very spotty and a lot less fluid than past versions. I think Apple will focus on that this software release, which will likely improve on those issues. The other issue I have is Apple seems to be focused too much on design and not enough on design + functionality. The hardware is great, but the software-IMO- is still not there.

I think the Pixel 2 is a great phone. It's not as sexy as the Huawei P20 Pro or the iPhone X. The screen is debatably good, maybe improved slightly over earlier Pixel 2XL releases. The key is software. The way Android matures in notification handling just gets better and better. Same with design. Minimal animations means fluidity. The first Pixel really was the Google iPhone and I feel that they have progressed more in software function and fluidity than Apple. Apple will ALWAYS have beautiful hardware.

I think Google's rumored imminent upgrades to Android Messages will pay off. Just as I think Apple's pause and refinement of iOS will pay off. Now is a great time to give Android a try. The funny thing about iOS is that I don't care as much that most of my family has iPhones and we are all linked via iMessages, what I really like is messaging from my Mac. Handy as hell. Speaking of hell, iTunes and iCloud can go to hell. All the way to the lowest level.

Pick what you want. Try it out and enjoy.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the 2XL and the iPhone X. I am writing this right now on my Pixel 2 XL. nuff said :)

I also had the iPhone 8 plus before the X. I can say that the cameras on both phones are amazing, but I prefer the XL shots over the iPhone. I do a lot of outdoor photography and I tend to get a lot of blue dot lense flair from the X. indoors they are about equal.

No quality issues with mine. Purchased in March. Blue shift doesn't bother me, it is about the same as other OLED phones

You won't be disappointed with the Pixel

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am currently using my wife's old(ish) iPhone 7 Plus until my 2XL arrives on Thursday. The last iPhone I owned was a 6 Plus then I transitioned back to Android with a Nexus 6. There are definitely aspects to both OS' and certainly they have become similar in many respects. Both have their advantages- iOS and iMessages, Google with Assistant and now camera. I'll admit that this iPhone 7 Plus is speedy, takes great photos, offers tight integration with Apple services and has fantastic build quality. The iPhone X is a good looking phone. I think that FaceID is a great new technology but many coworkers complain of misreads and actually having to look directly at the phone to unlock. Driving in cars with sunglasses on usually presents issues. Time will improve the tech. That said, the iPhone 8 Plus with the A11 chip and TouchID is a beast by any standards. The apps are well designed and more thoughtful in some instances, and others sometimes not as good as their Android relatives, but that is rare. Cameras are usually very good and consistent. My issues with iOS are still largely software. Notifications is a mess and iOS 11 has been very spotty and a lot less fluid than past versions. I think Apple will focus on that this software release, which will likely improve on those issues. The other issue I have is Apple seems to be focused too much on design and not enough on design + functionality. The hardware is great, but the software-IMO- is still not there.

I think the Pixel 2 is a great phone. It's not as sexy as the Huawei P20 Pro or the iPhone X. The screen is debatably good, maybe improved slightly over earlier Pixel 2XL releases. The key is software. The way Android matures in notification handling just gets better and better. Same with design. Minimal animations means fluidity. The first Pixel really was the Google iPhone and I feel that they have progressed more in software function and fluidity than Apple. Apple will ALWAYS have beautiful hardware.

I think Google's rumored imminent upgrades to Android Messages will pay off. Just as I think Apple's pause and refinement of iOS will pay off. Now is a great time to give Android a try. The funny thing about iOS is that I don't care as much that most of my family has iPhones and we are all linked via iMessages, what I really like is messaging from my Mac. Handy as hell. Speaking of hell, iTunes and iCloud can go to hell. All the way to the lowest level.

Pick what you want. Try it out and enjoy.
Airdroid allows you to answer messages and stuff through the Mac. It displays notifications and allows backups. It has a good free version. You install it on both your Android and Mac.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I’ve heard of it but never pulled the trigger. I’ll check it out.
I use it all the time.
Here are some screenshots so you can see it
d0682ed33ac4e36dc27841f154cdf2b7.jpg
770b900d6fb398d2ad9ba32fecf80670.jpg
e86b6d67ab1c33091e97be209a49879a.jpg
5e6d67ad317cef69246f2f1889fe22ea.jpg
add4658b9bc57a10c3fa493f88cd53a9.jpg
ff123006f4d4555730754c50f57eced7.jpg
d08e591a447589ccd1ca3db36ea55190.jpg
d8257a29f088fa89ec3a83bb1ac921b9.jpg

dponinski

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth between iOS and Android. I had and iPhone 4 and the switched to a Galaxy Nexus. Absolutely loved it. Then getting an LG phone I hated to a Nexus 5 (still hands down one of my favorite phones). Decided to go back to the iPhone 6S for a change and stayed with it for a couple years but still never felt the pure joy I had with Nexus 5. Sold the iPhone 7 and bought a Pixel 2. I couldn't be happier. I think the iPhone is a great phone and iOS is very easy to use but there's nothing like Google's flavor of Android. The Pixel 2 definitely ranks up there with my Nexus 5.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?"

Given a choice between those two, I'd honestly go with the iPhone 8 Plus. Why? Because the Pixel is just an iPhone running Android, but without the app quality to match it. Not to mention that nitpicky things like the narrow 18:9 ratio is a bit of a turnoff. If this were comparison between a Note 8, then that would make things easier since the Note 8 has a lot of hardware that the iPhone has never had, but should have.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?"

Given a choice between those two, I'd honestly go with the iPhone 8 Plus. Why? Because the Pixel is just an iPhone running Android, but without the app quality to match it. Not to mention that nitpicky things like the narrow 18:9 ratio is a bit of a turnoff. If this were comparison between a Note 8, then that would make things easier since the Note 8 has a lot of hardware that the iPhone has never had, but should have.

I have had no issues with apps on iPhone or Android.

Not sure I get the hardware argument but to each their own.