Google Assistant won't send text messages, AGAIN! PLEASE HELP!

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

Just tried sending my wife a text message through Google Assistant, it went through everything it needed to, it verified the message and said Sending, then it said it couldn't send. I have went into the Google app permissions turned off SMS then rebooted it turned it back on then rebooted it again and then tried it again and still nothing. I've also unsynced my Google account with my phone resynced it then I was able to send one text message through Google Assistant then it started not doing it again. I've literally been able to send a text message on the stock Android messaging app through Google Assistant twice since I got my Google pixel 2 XL. Please help this is a feature that I really loved when I had my iPhone and I want to use it on my pixel 2 XL.

Thanks!!

Luke

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

Just tried sending my wife a text message through Google Assistant, it went through everything it needed to, it verified the message and said Sending, then it said it couldn't send. I have went into the Google app permissions turned off SMS then rebooted it turned it back on then rebooted it again and then tried it again and still nothing. I've also unsynced my Google account with my phone resynced it then I was able to send one text message through Google Assistant then it started not doing it again. I've literally been able to send a text message on the stock Android messaging app through Google Assistant twice since I got my Google pixel 2 XL. Please help this is a feature that I really loved when I had my iPhone and I want to use it on my pixel 2 XL.

Thanks!!

Luke
Can't offer any help but seems like a real nuisance to me. I hope you resolve it

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Thanks!!

Luke

I have a Pixel 2 with Android 8.1. I just sent a message using Google Assistant. It went without me getting a notice that it couldn't be sent. I received a response to the message so it obviously went.

The problem doesn't seem to be with Google Assistant.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I have had this problem since I got my pixel 2xl. Have had it about 2 months now. LOVE this phone(more then my iPhone) but sure do miss this feature from my iPhone. Wish there was a fix. Does anyone have any idea?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
From where did you buy your Pixel 2 XL? If you bought it through Google and have insurance on it I recommend contacting Google. And even if you don't have insurance on it, Google Customer Support should offer you some assistance in answering your questions. My Google Assistant worked last night when I texted my mom - I just tried again and will see if it still does. Does this happen with every contact you text via Google Assistant? My mom just messaged me back... Hmm. Please keep us posted. I understand that this is a wanted feature for you.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have had this problem since I got my pixel 2xl. Have had it about 2 months now. LOVE this phone(more then my iPhone) but sure do miss this feature from my iPhone. Wish there was a fix. Does anyone have any idea?
I just texted my husband through Assistant and it seems to have worked. I think there is either an issue in your specific phone or with your google account that assistant is linked to.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Ok....I tried texting 3 other people 2 Android and 1 iPhone and they all worked....so it's something with my wife's number. Any ideas on what I could do for a specific number?

Just tried my wife's number And no go....she has an iPhone. Just sucks that it's my wife's number because I text her the most....ugh...lol

Any ideas??

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok....I tried texting 3 other people 2 Android and 1 iPhone and they all worked....so it's something with my wife's number. Any ideas on what I could do for a specific number?

Just tried my wife's number And no go....she has an iPhone. Just sucks that it's my wife's number because I text her the most....ugh...lol

Any ideas??

Hmm... This is unusual. It's interesting that they are working with Android-to-Android phones, but not all Android-to-iOS phones. I'm going to see if the same is true for me.

One thing comes to mind though - is your wife using a very old SIM card? Sometimes that will mess with texting. But if your other messages (sent by other means, I mean) are going through, then it must be for some other reason.

I'd still contact Google Customer Support though, because Assistant should still be able to send Assistant-generated messages to all devices from other platforms. Can your wife successfully use Siri to text you?

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Any ideas??
Go into you contacts and check out the formatting of your wife's number compared to the two numbers that worked. Are they saved the same way...1 area code etc, etc.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Go into you contacts and check out the formatting of your wife's number compared to the two numbers that worked. Are they saved the same way...1 area code etc, etc.
Ok....WOW! THANK YOU....never even thought about that. My wife's number had parentheses around the area code and the other contacts didn't...just tried it twice and it worked.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted! I was just about to suggest checking the format of the number, I've also had issues with this in the past in messaging apps.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
What colour did you get?! The Pixel 2 XL is amazing!
Got the Black/White!! Was iPhone since I started getting smartphones, just got bored of IOS. Made the switch and glad I did...only thing I hope gets worked out is being able to send videos through text messages with out using another app or having them compressed down. Other than that, wouldn't switch back at all! Just love this phone...works PERFECT FOR ME!!

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Got the Black/White!! Was iPhone since I started getting smartphones, just got bored of IOS. Made the switch and glad I did...only thing I hope gets worked out is being able to send videos through text messages with out using another app or having them compressed down. Other than that, wouldn't switch back at all! Just love this phone...works PERFECT FOR ME!!

Well, Google is working on a new messaging experience through the default SMS app (Android Messages). Supposed to be called "Chat", and will incorporate some new features combining the current app with Allo. Google doesn't have the greatest track record with messaging apps so people are understandably skeptical, I think it sounds pretty good though so hopefully they pull it together without issue. I really like Allo, it's basic for the most part...but works flawlessly for transferring videos and pictures. The Google assistant integration is also nice and it has some fun features as well. I've mostly stopped using SMS unless absolutely needed (slow data service, or that contact that just can't seem to get on board with anything other then text lol).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
only thing I hope gets worked out is being able to send videos through text messages with out using another app or having them compressed down
Why can't you just send a link to the video? Or share it directly from the Photos app?

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Why can't you just send a link to the video? Or share it directly from the Photos app?
I understand there are ways around sending videos...other apps, links from Google photos, etc. But when you have come from iMessage and have had that forever....it's so easy to just open a text and send it. Know one needs to have other apps, or worry about sending links to people. It's just done and sent. Hope that makes sense....I just hope it gets to that point with Android also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC