Should I buy a pixel phone for my next phone and ditch Samsung?

beckytigeress

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I've bought the s8 and thinking about s9. However, I'm wondering if it's better to wait for the next high end google pixel phone to come out. I don't know if stock android is better than Samsung experience ui. The most important things to me are speed,battery life,water resistance, good camera, no speakers for loud music, not a bunch of manufacturer bloat and fast updates. The galaxy phones I've had die fast it feels like. Would a high pixel phone have better battery life performance in comparison? I've also noticed that whenever I've got a Samsung phone screen burn in eventually happens. My other phone I had years ago the Huawei ascend q never had screen burn in and I used it constantly. Suggestions and input would be helpful. I want only replies from people that have used both devices and tell me which is the winner for what I desire?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
re:

Screen burn in isn't a Samsung specific issue, it's related to screen tech and can happen to the new Pixels as they no longer use LCD screens. So don't use screen burn in as a reason to ditch Samsung, also I'm a former Verizon rep(almost 4 years) and I only saw a few phones with burn in, it's not common. It is a real thing, just not very common from my experience. I'm also still using a Note 3 nearly 5 years old no screen burn in.

Personally after 5 years of Samsung, I don't like stock Android, it feels feature stripped and lacking. I know friends who prefer stock Android, to each their own. I would recommend playing with a Pixel if you haven't.

I have never owned a Pixel so maybe my opinion doesn't matter to you, but I have played around with my friends Pixels and I sold phones for 4 years so I played with every manufacturers phones on a regular.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'll just speak to one specific trait here... Feel... I've been using Pixel and Nexus phones since the Nexus 5 and they all have a fluid, responsive feel to them that you are not going to have in most any other phone, especially Samsung's. Some other phones may have more power, or be able to open apps a tick quicker, but they won't feel like they do... Animations are a bit jerky, or there are a few jarring frame drops when scrolling or transitioning between screens. These are all things that speak to software optimization, not processor power.

My 2XL runs like a finely tuned machine... And it'll feel that way for as long as I own it. Samsungs are notorious for coming out fast out of the gate, but 6 months or a year down the road, they will bog down when doing simple tasks... I know of a few people that have these same complaints with the S8, and I can only assume we'll see them with the S9.

So for me, how well a phone runs ultimately means more than how fast a phone runs. And you're not going to find many than run better than a Pixel. Use one long enough and you'll start to get spilled a bit and it'll be the first thing you notice when you use something else.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
re:

I had S8 switched to pixel XL 2. i like it better. wasn't a big fan of S8 curved screen. No bloat so pixel is smoother. Biggest factor is updates S8 they were non existent. pixel you get the aroun the first of every month

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

I left Samsung after years of their phones because I was constantly disabling tons of apps just to clean up the OS as much as I could in search of less lag and better battery life which I rarely got and would factory reset everything 3 months or so anyway just to keep it running fast-ish.

I'm not saying Samsung phones are bad, but they are a different experience. If you use a lot of their apps, you may want to stick with it. If you are like most of us in here on Pixel devices and you like a minimal amount of apps and mostly use Google apps and services anyway, you won't regret getting a Pixel 2. I've had my Pixel 2 for three weeks and am loving it more every day. It's never slow and the battery life is consistent day to day unlike most Samsung devices I've used and I've disabled nothing.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I left Samsung after years of their phones because I was constantly disabling tons of apps just to clean up the OS as much as I could in search of less lag and better battery life which I rarely got and would factory reset everything 3 months or so anyway just to keep it running fast-ish.

I'm not saying Samsung phones are bad, but they are a different experience. If you use a lot of their apps, you may want to stick with it. If you are like most of us in here on Pixel devices and you like a minimal amount of apps and mostly use Google apps and services anyway, you won't regret getting a Pixel 2. I've had my Pixel 2 for three weeks and am loving it more every day. It's never slow and the battery life is consistent day to day unlike most Samsung devices I've used and I've disabled nothing.

Theo, did you change Adaptive Brightness?

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
re:

I'll just speak to one specific trait here... Feel... I've been using Pixel and Nexus phones since the Nexus 5 and they all have a fluid, responsive feel to them that you are not going to have in most any other phone, especially Samsung's. Some other phones may have more power, or be able to open apps a tick quicker, but they won't feel like they do... Animations are a bit jerky, or there are a few jarring frame drops when scrolling or transitioning between screens. These are all things that speak to software optimization, not processor power.

My 2XL runs like a finely tuned machine... And it'll feel that way for as long as I own it. Samsungs are notorious for coming out fast out of the gate, but 6 months or a year down the road, they will bog down when doing simple tasks... I know of a few people that have these same complaints with the S8, and I can only assume we'll see them with the S9.

So for me, how well a phone runs ultimately means more than how fast a phone runs. And you're not going to find many than run better than a Pixel. Use one long enough and you'll start to get spilled a bit and it'll be the first thing you notice when you use something else.
This is all anyone needs to know.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
re:

Samsung has great hardware, but its software is always lacking. Software updates are few and far between (quarterly?). I have a Pixel 2 XL and I had the S9+ for a few days. I returned the S9+ just because I couldn't get past the security patch still being stuck on February 1 in mid-to-late April.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

Adaptive Brightness is ON by default.
I always turn it OFF.
I have it on and i think I've gotten used to it. I don't have any problem seeing the screen but I did put a couple gesture toggles in Nova to turn it off and turn it up for watching shows or movies and for a couple games. There's a couple games I play in landscape that my hand will block the light at times and makes the screen darker so I just toggle it off before I play.

What do you keep yours set at? My eyes are super sensitive to bright light (I have glasses for working at the computer that filter blue light and are tinted because it's like I'm in a tanning booth all day at work) so I can't stand it being really bright.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
re:

I haven't used a Pixel but the last stock Android device I had was a Nexus 5X, still gutted that it died TBH, and loved it due to stock Android which is why I love the Nokia 8 that I have now as it's as close to stock as you'll get without going for a Pixel.

Rich_65402

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
re:

my pixel 2 XL has been a complete pain. I've had a couple devices replaced now. First one was screen issues and now I have the annoying buzzing from audio and phone calls.

People talk about software etc etc, but my girlfriends note 8 has no lag and its way, way past the 6 months old mark. The only issue she has is the battery life isn't great, but that's Samsung all over.

imo with a pixel you'll sacrifice build quality for software. Not so much with the original pixel, it was so much better made.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Love the Pixels . I have both the OG Pixel as well as the Pixel 2 XL. I use them both on 2 different lines.No regrets.

They both have performed great for me.
Buttery Smooth and fast performance, quick OS updates as well as security updates,great camera ,great battery life.

I always preferred the close to stock android phones. I admit the Nexus/Pixel has spoiled me :)

In my earlier days with Android I did try out the Samsung line . But I wasn't a fan of all those " bells and whistles ,duplicate apps, slow OS updates,etc.
I seriously doubt I will ever get another samsung device because of the reasons mentioned.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
re:

Yes.

In most situations where a person asks, "should I..." to themselves, they already know the answer. Should I wear the same shirt as yesterday? You already know you shouldn't. Should I stop at that stop sign? You already know you should. Should I give my keys to my girlfriend before I have another drink? You already know you should.

Given that my priorities are camera, software fluidness, less bloatware, fast updates, battery life, etc... should you switch to the one phone line that rules those categories in mainstream Android flagships? Yes; you already know that you should.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
re:

I've used Samsung for years. They're devices are magnificent. Every year I but one, and after several weeks I move on. Great hardware, too complicated. You have to deal with Samsung and Google systems. Sure I can turn must of that off, but why should I have to deal with it. My Missy recent was the Note 8. Good hardware, very pretty. But after a few weeks I put it down. Just too much. Then throw in the lack of updates...

I also have the pixel 2xl. Great hardware, easy to use, simple to live with. And that's all you need to say.

Dude by side they compare just like any other phone. You like something on both phones. So it came down to what matters most to me. Simplicity and ease of use. After several months I sold off the Note 8.

Most likely I will buy next year's Note offering, hoping Samsung will get a clue. But for the forseeable future I'm sticking with the pixel

jayemmbee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

my pixel 2 XL has been a complete pain. I've had a couple devices replaced now. First one was screen issues and now I have the annoying buzzing from audio and phone calls.

People talk about software etc etc, but my girlfriends note 8 has no lag and its way, way past the 6 months old mark. The only issue she has is the battery life isn't great, but that's Samsung all over.

imo with a pixel you'll sacrifice build quality for software. Not so much with the original pixel, it was so much better made.

software is more cohesive is what the mean, samsung constantly makes a bunch of wannabe versions of existing google apps that are already on the phone or in the play store that are better.
The updates are the bigger software issue, your girlfriend has the Note 8 and no lag now, but wait until theres a new update around the corner and she doesnt get, it you think the battery life is bad now, just wait til the lag kicks in

i think thats false, you are sacrficing features , bells and whistles but not build quality, the phone feels premium and aesthetically pleasing but it alot of the best features no its not wireless charging but it does have water resistence

that said

I have had the LG G3 before I moved on to the Nexus 6P and now the Pixel 2 XL
My girlfriend had the Note 5 and now has the Pixel 2 XL
My mom has the samsung tab we bought 2 years ago and it came with KitKat out the box meanwhile my phone was on marshmallow at the time, and its still on KitKat, 2 years later, thats the problem with samsung devices, they are the latest adn greatest for 6 months and thn samsung leaves them in the dust and doesnt update them for months after the update if at all.

My girlfriends Note 5 only got Nougat because the Note 7 blew up, otherwise it wouldve been left behind, she upgraded to the Pixel once her phone slowed down, stopped getting updates and battery was crap

My LG was great for the first 6 months battery was great and so many features but the minute it hit 6 months it went down hill, battery sucked adn got slow and took about 6 months to get Marshmallow

the reason I went with Nexus is because i want the updates the updates as soon as they come out, i want the support, i dont want my phone left behind. I got the pixel for more of that and ive had mind since boxing day and best decision its fast, great camera, battery is great, just the little attention to detail and my phone will have support for at least another 2 years

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar